CO Warning. Be careful out there

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Our CO alarm has a digital readout that allows you to monitor peak level. Our maximum ever reading has been 18, which can be caused by opening the stove door to add fuel or running the gas rings. As you can see from the suppliers alarm ratings this is considered safe. 

I do leave our “tippy” in the saloon, but if we ever had higher readings would reconsider. 

57E67AA4-DED3-438E-ADC6-7F9357BCE6F4.jpeg

Edited by MHS
  • Greenie 1

On 12/12/2018 at 17:37, Opener said:

It still worries me slightly - as I understand it, the deleterious effects of CO are insidious. Both the wife and I are of a certain age and somewhat liable to 'drift off' at the least opportunity.  What's to say that that unconsciousness is due to a hard days locking through or a, a liquid lunch  and not the effects of CO building up in the more limited space (although it should be well ventilated!!) of our saloon?

Install loads of CO Alarms , I have 5 deployed.....

Good to bring this up often no matter how many times,  maybe someone can give me or others advice on height of CO alarms?

I have three, 

1 back room pillow height

2 one in saloon right of stove at window level.

3 one floor level 1 meter away from stove door.

I I don't know if this is the right way or not ?

One thing I have noticed them combi smoke alarms with 2 9v batterys and down lights don't last 6 weeks. (Even with proper batterys)

3 minutes ago, MJG said:

Overkill

We always install two. One in pointy end and one in bedroom. At present till I bin two we have four fitted cos I put new sealed battery jobbies in last year but left the old ones up as they are still in good order. Its deffo overkill but chucking em away is daft and ya never know yer luck in a raffle.

4 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Good to bring this up often no matter how many times,  maybe someone can give me or others advice on height of CO alarms?

I have three, 

1 back room pillow height

2 one in saloon right of stove at window level.

I I don't know if this is the right way or not ?

One thing I have noticed them combi smoke alarms with 2 9v batterys and down lights don't last 6 weeks. (Even with proper batterys)

It's well covered on the BSS page.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/stay-safe/carbon-monoxide-(co)/placing-co-alarms/

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We always install two. One in pointy end and one in bedroom. At present till I bin two we have four fitted cos I put new sealed battery jobbies in last year but left the old ones up as they are still in good order. Its deffo overkill but chucking em away is daft and ya never know yer luck in a raffle.

5 is overkill

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Well I've done the same to be honest, end of winter with sealed units still flashing green.

I have three new ones but the old ones are scattered around the boat like ornaments.

I don't rely on them but just as a what's to loose.

1 minute ago, MJG said:

You're welcome pinkladyx

I don't wear pink lolx

16 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

My CO monitor in the sitting room is slightly higher than it maybe should be, it's just above head hight. MtB will know but I don't think you're meant to have them lower than where you head might be. I don't think CO is heavier than air in that it would sink to the floor and accumulate there first. But there's an awful lot of assumptions in all that. :huh:

3 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

I don't wear pink lolx

Yeah - but you called him MUG. :giggles:

:hug:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

My CO monitor in the sitting room is slightly higher than it maybe should be, it's just above head hight. MtB will know but I don't think you're meant to have them lower than where you head might be. I don't think CO is heavier than air in that it would sink to the floor and accumulate there first. But there's an awful lot of assumptions in all that. :huh:

Yeah - but you called him MUG. :giggles:

:hug:

Omg don't you start it's my compooa, lol

? it's possessed by a dyslexic spell checker ' erer.:hug:

I don't know either Tumshie, maybe I am always doolalid with noxious stuff.

Sorry back on topic I don't think I should derail a serious topic.

Sorry 

ADDED below :  at least my bedroom might be ok. 

20181214_002753.jpg

20181214_002756.jpg

Edited by Greyladyx
Thanks again for the link MJG

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

An unfortunate term to choose....

Call the police Mike....ffs.

As soon as I posted that I wondered who would pick up on it. I should have placed bet.

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Happens to me all the time. Mike is usually very kind about pointing mine out - :rolleyes: 

Mtb has a reputation for being very kind to the female members of this forum...make of that what you will

15 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Omg don't you start it's my compooa, lol

? it's possessed by a dyslexic spell checker ' erer.:hug:

I don't know either Tumshie, maybe I am always doolalid with noxious stuff.

Sorry back on topic I don't think I should derail a serious topic.

Sorry 

ADDED below :  at least my bedroom might be ok. 

20181214_002753.jpg

20181214_002756.jpg

The one in the second pic is too high.

No you're not. You're only 3ft tall according to Wikipedia.

I think Martin must have had a bad day today. Unlike moi!

Fab day Mike, I cant comment on yours though. 

So why are you being such an arse?

Am I? I simply made a comment, people do it about me all the time and actually you kicked this one off so why are you?