Restoring the Montgomery Canals

Heartland

Featured Posts

When built the modern Montgomery actually comprised three waterways and various feeders; the length is the Welsh Frankton- Llanymynech branch of the Ellesmere Canal, the Eastern and Western Branch of the Montgomery are all part of the present make up. Since the Big Dig various lengths have reopened and yet after some 50 years, longer than the enforced closure period, this scenic waterway has still to see the link restored properly between Welshpool and the present limit of navigation.

No matter how much the CRT dress up the present situation, a comparison must be made with the successful restoration of the Huddersfield and Rochdale.

This view of the Mony was taken in 1992 when the RCHS West Midlands Group was planing the Shrewsbury AGM that year..

876001.jpg

In the days back & various volunteer groups restoring sections/canal lengths the "Digs" I was involved in always seemed to proceed better with less in those days BW 's case involvement the waterways set up always seemed to have a lot of chiefs & not many workers & the talkers /organizers always out numbered the doers ,with limited funds this if still the same it possibly is the reason of slow /no progress + the doer's get disillusioned at the lack of progress  & being volunteers gradually drift away to possibly not have the place re filled I would guess the present more intense "Elfin /Safety"is a slower /downer with the need for the erection/fitting of more safety devices Before any one picks up on the safety I state I'm not against most of it but it takes a longer time to sort guess the claim society doesn't help in some ways C&rt is a prize example lots of office top end staff very few employed by them boots on the ground most jobs/maintenance /repairs sub contracted & lacck of checking if they are getting best bang for their buck& from following their antics it seems any thing other than boating gets quicker fixed more interest shown problem is it"s being going down hill for a while & I do wonder when the point of no return will be reached that will be a sad day

Remember that the vast majority of the work on the Monty is done by a small band of dedicated volunteers.  At  the time the Huddersfield and Rochdale were being restored, British Waterways were prepared to put a lot of money and resources into it, something they are not in a position to do now.

A major obstacle to linking up the Monty sections are the dropped road bridges on the A483T.  Being a trunk road it will need a major rebuild to cross the canal at the required gradients, or the canal will have to have drop locks, but this is limited by the amount of water available.

They are now in a position to start on rebuilding Schoolhouse Bridge, after some major fundraising, which is a start.

It's a shame that it won't become a through route for many years yet, as the Welshpool section is a fantastic stretch - dramatic hill scenery as it winds through the valley and very pretty closer to the bank. The locks are very picturesque too. When deciding what to do with my cruiser a couple of months ago, the fact that I know I can get my boat onto this stretch by using the slipway at Welshpool was a factor in sticking with it. The weed isn't as bad as you might think either; there are places where it is clogged up (mainly around Pool Quay and Brithdir), but in the main the channel is still fairly clear.

Edited by Philip

Sometime in the mid 1980s British Waterways got an enabling act for the restoration works - unique as far as im aware, and also got funding from the EU to do it. However the Secretary of state for Wales, Peter Walker, refused to sanction the funding and it was lost. We really can't blame BW for this one.

5 hours ago, magpie patrick said:

Sometime in the mid 1980s British Waterways got an enabling act for the restoration works - unique as far as im aware, and also got funding from the EU to do it. However the Secretary of state for Wales, Peter Walker, refused to sanction the funding and it was lost. We really can't blame BW for this one.

I wasn't blaming any one just that on the restoration setups i'd been on the more the involvement  of the board the more chiefs there where

Whatever happened in the 1980's, did at least encourage the gradual restoration of the waterway and this is still on going. The greatest challenge is the completion of the restoration to Welshpool as this will give an aim, and purpose, to the project. One can only hope the remaining obstacles can be overcome.

Hello everyone

A bit of gentle pessimism might not be out of order when one is considering the future of waterways restoration. I doubt if there will be much public money available for a long time, if ever, given present politics [I'll try to keep out of discussing that, but it is the background]. 

My feeling is that gradual restorations - like the "Montgomery", bridge by bridge; maintain structures where there is no navigation yet; and take opportunities wherever these arise - may be the most we can hope for. 

Don't shoot the messenger - just a set of pessimistic thoughts!

Happy Christmas everyone

Joseph

Mr Boughey suggests stone by stone restoration for the Montgomery is perhaps the present way forward, and perhaps that will be the only course. It is the way with some other restoration schemes. Yet there are those that dare to hope for more. The Lapal Trust is raising funds for the canal through Selly Oak. The Lichfield & Hatherton looks for funds for that all important link that will hopefully, and finally, see boats back into Lichfield. Whilst potential funds are limited, especially in the present financial climate, hope still remains. With the Montgomery the restoration to Welshpool opens up so much for the boater. There appears to be funds for further work, but how much is, or has been, wasted for the political correctness demands that seem to accompany  such projects. The power of the ecologist and their pay cheques, may well become a historical discussion as to value. It is all more bizarre when it is considered that when the canal was closed, the ecology and habitats changed. Putting the water back again means a change in habitat again. One interpretation is that once canals are closed they cannot be reopened to meet the values of ecology. Is it true or is it false to state that in making provisions for all ecological requirements, such creating newt pools. has delayed the progress on the Montgomery , and with restricted finances and volunteer requirements, could these ecological requirements have been met in a different and cost effective way?

2 hours ago, Liam said:

How far can you actually get along the Montgomery at the moment from the connected part of the system at Frankton Junction? It's something I've been thinking about exploring this year hopefully. 

You can currently go as far as Gronwyn Wharf where you can wind.  The next bit, up to Redwith Bridge is in water but you can't turn beyond Gronwyn.  The next section, to Pryces Bridge is the most recently re-watered but is still subject to some testing.  The current restoration is concentrating on the section to Crickheath Wharf, where there will be a winding hole.  This could well open in 2019 and add about a mile to the navigable length.

Well worth exploring the Montgomery Canal. Very few boats,so very peacsefull and travells through pleasant countryside .If anybody thinks that an abandoned canal is better without boats,look at the canal in Newtown.The towpath exists,but the bed of the canal has been filled with a sewer pipe. All credit to CaRT for the way the whole isolated sections are maintained.(Apart from the last section in Newtown,which belongs to Severn Trent Water) In fairness to Severn Trent and Powys County Council,the footpath in this section is excellent.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes but ask me to name them, there are some near the end of the restored bit

First of all happy Christmas to you. I just wondered as we're currently on the K&A but it costs an arm and a leg and fancy a move next year. I've never actually explored the canal proper just stopped at Frankton.

There were some moorings at Peates Mill, Maesbury,in the arm up to the mill .Not sure about present situation. There are moorings in Welshpool,but this section of canal is not connected to the national network. Last time I checked,you could only stay on the canal for a few days. The Heulwen boats have their own moorings at Buttington(On the Welshpool length)