Beta 43 filters

Alway Swilby

Featured Posts

59 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Does anyone have cross reference details for other makes of the oil, air and fuel filters on a Beta 43? I know a Baldwin B7240  is good for the oil filter but where I am the local shop only has Mann filters in stock and needs the Mann number.

Replacement oil filters for BALDWIN B7240:

Brand Model
BETA-MARINE 2117051002
Fleetguard LF3706
GRAINGER 3XUG4
HASTINGS LF713
Kubota 7000074035
LUBER-FINER PH253

I can't find the Mann reference but got the above list off oilfilter-crossreference.com which may or may not help. 

For the fuel and air filters try

fuelfilter-crossreference.com

and

airfilter-crossreference.com

Respectively.

The Fleetguard reference is wrong. I ordered  one with that number last year only to find if marked Hydraulic Oil Filter. The correct reference is LF3341. I imagine different bypass pressures. 

No Fram listed which is PH3589.

There are at least 2 different designs of both the fuel and air filters on the Beta 43. The fuel filter is different according to whether it is the type with a push button primer on the top of the housing (usually mounted high up on the side of the engine) or not. The air filter design changed about 3 or 4 years ago from one that is open on both sides and relies on the housing to provide the seal on the side furthest from the engine  to one with an inbuilt plastic disc on one side. In each case they are not interchangeable - as I found out when Midland Chandlers sold me the wrong, older type of air filter and wouldn't admit they were wrong

The thing about "equivalent" filters is that you can't usually see the spec to check for yourself, so you can't be sure it's exactly right.  Start off at an "Acme A100", go through the equivalent lists via Fram, Cooper, Wix, etc, and when you eventually end up back at "Acme" it'll be the B375!  I concluded buggering about trying to find an "equivalent" for a potential £1.07 saving was futile and risky so I stuck with Beta - fortunately my local chandler stocks what I need.  I realise the OP's local shop sells only Mann, and they're a perfectly reputable manufacturer, but the Internet and the postman will provide exactly the right filter.

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Does anyone have cross reference details for other makes of the oil, air and fuel filters on a Beta 43? I know a Baldwin B7240  is good for the oil filter but where I am the local shop only has Mann filters in stock and needs the Mann number.

Mann W 917

Wix WL 7124

Midland Chandler also sold a Fram hydraulic oil filter as the oil filter for this engine, completly wrong part.

The really important thing is that the 03 series Kubota engines take a 3/4” -16 UN threaded filter. The M20 x 1.5 threaded filters sold in some places as suitable for this engine are also completly wrong; and could cost you your engine if the minimal contact between the mismatched threads fails.

I recall that the early fuel filters were metric thread, and the latter ones were imperial thread!

The M20 x 1.5 threaded filters are of course standard fitting on the smaller 05 series engines used for the Beta 28/30/35/38.

Edited by Eeyore

6 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

The thing about "equivalent" filters is that you can't usually see the spec to check for yourself, so you can't be sure it's exactly right.  Start off at an "Acme A100", go through the equivalent lists via Fram, Cooper, Wix, etc, and when you eventually end up back at "Acme" it'll be the B375!  I concluded buggering about trying to find an "equivalent" for a potential £1.07 saving was futile and risky so I stuck with Beta - fortunately my local chandler stocks what I need.  I realise the OP's local shop sells only Mann, and they're a perfectly reputable manufacturer, but the Internet and the postman will provide exactly the right filter.

Thanks Sea D for expressing what I have been thinking since this thread started.  When we bought our boat (11 years ago - blimey!)  I discovered that the 'equivalent' oil filter was a different size from the Beta standard part even though it fitted perfectly well. I don't know exactly what it was, other than a Fram, but at the moment of the first oil change I vowed to use the (expensive) Beta parts, obtained from Gloucestershire by quoting the engine build number.

There is always a helpful and knowledgeable person at the other end of the phone, and in a remarkable parallel with the pet drugs thread a few days ago, I'm happy to pay the premium price for the services of an expert.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, Eeyore said:

Midland Chandler also sold a Fram hydraulic oil filter as the oil filter for this engine, completly wrong part.

A year ago MC sold me a Baldwin B240 filter for my Beta 43. It wasn't until then oil pressure light took a longer than normally go outvthag I realised this too was a hydraulic filter.

MC now only sell the genuine Beta filters.

There are two genuine oil filters for this engine; Kubota supply their own brand filters. If you quote the engine number ( stamped somewhere on the engine block) a Kubota dealer will supply the correct filter.

Edited by Eeyore