Dear Santa,all I want for Christmas is..........

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

A different narrowboat.  Having owned my present boat for two years I now know what I want.

30-35ft,trad no more than twenty years old or small cruiser stern.up to about £30K Don't want acres of rear deck.My present boat is 30ft and is easily handled solo and can be turned around at a few places even on the Huddersfield Narrow without going to a winding hole.I do enjoy a trip up the HNC to have a lunchtime pint.

I want a boat with a good amount of tumblehome which makes it look like a "proper boat" and not a floating box,which a lot of small boats are to maximise internal space.

A survey should show plenty of meat on the hull,and it should have decent paintwork.The cabin roof should be able to be walked on without flexing,and have proper roof rails.[circular section with welded supports every couple  of feet]  that you can tie a rope to,and not the ledge type.

A cratch for covered storage [very useful]

A modern Japanese engine [a Kubota marinisation preferably] skin tank cooled which complies with the rule of thumb,1 square foot of cooling surface per 4hp.

A watertight bulkhead between the engine bay and cabin,and an engine bay that is big enough to store a toolbox and a few spares.

The boat itself is the most important,the interior comes second.

I would like the cooking/eating area at the back,with a hob and grill,and instant hot water boiler.No fancy plumbing or calorifier Then the toilet/shower compartment,roughly in the middle which gives a two room feel.Only a cassette toilet for me,the thought of cruising around with several gallons of excrement and urine sloshing around in a pump out tank I find revolting.

A central stove to heat all of the boat and the living/sleeping area at the front.

With a lot of money and work I could make my present boat into my ideal,but a new engine,having the old one removed,installing  the new engine aligning and associated plumbing I could see a bill north of £10,000.

The interior would need ripping out and starting again from scratch,and although I could do some of this work,I don't think it would be of a very good standard,and of course good tradesmen don't come cheap.

It will be less trouble for me to sell Popsie,and look for a boat that ticks all my boxes.

Looking back at my post,I don't think I am asking too much  [or am I?]

33 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

A different narrowboat.  Having owned my present boat for two years I now know what I want.

30-35ft,trad no more than twenty years old or small cruiser stern.up to about £30K Don't want acres of rear deck.My present boat is 30ft and is easily handled solo and can be turned around at a few places even on the Huddersfield Narrow without going to a winding hole.I do enjoy a trip up the HNC to have a lunchtime pint.

I want a boat with a good amount of tumblehome which makes it look like a "proper boat" and not a floating box,which a lot of small boats are to maximise internal space.

A survey should show plenty of meat on the hull,and it should have decent paintwork.The cabin roof should be able to be walked on without flexing,and have proper roof rails.[circular section with welded supports every couple  of feet]  that you can tie a rope to,and not the ledge type.

A cratch for covered storage [very useful]

A modern Japanese engine [a Kubota marinisation preferably] skin tank cooled which complies with the rule of thumb,1 square foot of cooling surface per 4hp.

A watertight bulkhead between the engine bay and cabin,and an engine bay that is big enough to store a toolbox and a few spares.

The boat itself is the most important,the interior comes second.

I would like the cooking/eating area at the back,with a hob and grill,and instant hot water boiler.No fancy plumbing or calorifier Then the toilet/shower compartment,roughly in the middle which gives a two room feel.Only a cassette toilet for me,the thought of cruising around with several gallons of excrement and urine sloshing around in a pump out tank I find revolting.

A central stove to heat all of the boat and the living/sleeping area at the front.

With a lot of money and work I could make my present boat into my ideal,but a new engine,having the old one removed,installing  the new engine aligning and associated plumbing I could see a bill north of £10,000.

The interior would need ripping out and starting again from scratch,and although I could do some of this work,I don't think it would be of a very good standard,and of course good tradesmen don't come cheap.

It will be less trouble for me to sell Popsie,and look for a boat that ticks all my boxes.

Looking back at my post,I don't think I am asking too much  [or am I?]

All good (except for the toilet spec) but add sprayfoam insulation.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I'm not sure about this,  it's marmite.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/abc-boats-45-classic/201672

I do like it. The stern and rudder arrangement look very practical and the pigeon boxes and portholes give it a traditional look.

Sadly,it's a bit longer than I want,and it's beyond my budget,before fitting out,and after,well, just sign the cheque and we'll fill in the amount.

But,thanks anyway. 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Not quite what you're looking for but this looks a CRACKING boat. My dream boat in fact. Everything seems right about it.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat/barges-luxe-motor/557728

Yes,I could manage the five thousand,but the other 180 I would struggle with. Your right it does look a cracking boat but it wouldn't get up the HNC let alone turn around.

Harold, you're mad!

The thought of carrying a cassette with all that stuff sloshing around makes me cringe....and it's heavy. My pump out tank never sloshes around...we dont go that fast.....and I get a nice little man to pump it out for me.....so I never think about it. ?

49 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Harold, you're mad!

The thought of carrying a cassette with all that stuff sloshing around makes me cringe....and it's heavy. My pump out tank never sloshes around...we dont go that fast.....and I get a nice little man to pump it out for me.....so I never think about it. ?

But you're missing out on visiting those little shrines dotted around the system to the great God Poo.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Harold, you're mad!

is it a mild steel tank? If so it will rust from the inside and eventually leak.......normally after about 15-20 years, its happened to me twice.

Both leaked from the top, only discovered when really full.

Cassette only for me now.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Harold, you're mad!

Yes I know. There are people on my marina who wouldn't have anything other than a pump out tank.

But it's not for me.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Loddon said:

is it a mild steel tank? If so it will rust from the inside and eventually leak.......normally after about 15-20 years, its happened to me twice.

Both leaked from the top, only discovered when really full.

Cassette only for me now.

No. Of course it isn't a mild steel tank. You'd have to be mad like Harold to have one of them! Can't beat a good old HDPE one. 

Just now, system 4-50 said:

I have 6mm mild steel.  It'll last longer than me even if I keep hitting the Vindaloo.  Then again, especially if I keep hitting the vindaloo...

My last one was 4mm on the top, lasted less than 20 years, it perforated after I'd had the boat a year, I had no idea it had gone until I went an extra week between pump outs, it was only a pin hole but that's enough,  yours should last 30 years ;)