Need small diesel tank

Featured Posts

I want to install a bubble diesel stove at the front of the boat-it will need a tank of its own - are there any guidelines for this type of installation? I will have the tank in the bow deck and drip feed to the heater at floor (deck)level and down. Any advice most welcome...thanks

A long chimney to get enough draught for proper combustion otherwise it will smoke you out.

The tank must be installed so that any spill when filling goes overboard.

A proper FIRE shut off needle valve in the feed would be my choice.

Actually I would never have one, seen too many torn out because they are more trouble than they are worth.

• Happy 1

If the tank size is below 27litres a lot of the BSS stuff doesn’t count.

one thing I would say is that you will go through a lot of diesel, if you have no means to store a lot or have a regular local supply then you will struggle. Solid fuel you have a roof to store, and can probably have a winters worth if needed.  A winters worth (5 months) of diesel is 700+ litres.

i have a Dickinson and would get again, it’s not as nice as a real wood fire but as primary heating it’s on 24/7 keeping the boat warm and I have no messing other than remembering to keep the small day tank full.   I have a transfer pump from the main tank which I would recommend if the tank your planning is small.

Edited by Robbo

Hi and thank you

the bubble stove is being installed at the front of the boat and my main engine diesel tank is at the back i.e 57ft away?

it is planned as background heat in the bedroom in the depths of winter only as I have a multifuel stove in the living area which keeps most of the boat warm otherwise. Unfortunately as I can testify, having had to abandon ship twice over the last three years, the bedroom is freezing- everyone tells me that will change once the boat is in the water (hope so) but meanwhile I don’t want to chicken out this winter..

so I thought a small tank at the front dedicated to the stove only would work- would struggle to PAY for 700 litres of diesel in addition to the wood and coal as well!

WOW! That’s a lot of money to heat such a small space?

It’s not such a small space, that’s for a whole boat running 24/7 at around 5litres a day (that’s at near its minimum setting for the bubble, which is 4.5l/day).  For a small space like a just a bedroom the bubble is a bit big, a smaller Refleks model would be more suitable if want to use diesel.  These heaters have the advantage of been able to be left on 24/7 but are slow to react.  If you just want quick heat, solid fuel is better.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, adorabelle63 said:

Hi and thank you

the bubble stove is being installed at the front of the boat and my main engine diesel tank is at the back i.e 57ft away?

it is planned as background heat in the bedroom in the depths of winter only as I have a multifuel stove in the living area which keeps most of the boat warm otherwise. Unfortunately as I can testify, having had to abandon ship twice over the last three years, the bedroom is freezing- everyone tells me that will change once the boat is in the water (hope so) but meanwhile I don’t want to chicken out this winter..

so I thought a small tank at the front dedicated to the stove only would work- would struggle to PAY for 700 litres of diesel in addition to the wood and coal as well!

1 hour ago, adorabelle63 said:

Hi and thank you

Don't rule out Diesel Fuelled warm Air Heating.. my Boat is 70' with a 57 foot Cabin length ,Solid fuel stove is Forward of Amidships and tends to be lit evenings and only alight overnight when the Weather is Freezing .

The Boat has a 3.5 Kilowatt Warm air system (it is Japanese and now Obsolete)But others are available.

Warm air off last Night then Switched on 30 Mins before leaving nice warm Bed.

30 Mins at full heat setting will raise Cabin Temp. to 18-20 C.

This system does use 22- 40 Watts of Power but is instantaneous(well 2 mins for start sequence)and only uses Fuel and Electric when needed .

The warm air is Distributed through the Boat in 100 mm Metal Ducting and Spills Air in Aft cabin Via an adjustable Vent ,the main Cabin outlet is permanently open.

Average cost in winter months is 60-75 Litres of Diesel and 3-4 Bags of Smokeless Fuel.

Chinese Copies of German warm air Heaters are around and can be obtained new for less than £200 .

E.T.A. the Air in take for the Heater draw Fresh air in from outside the Boat ,as a result there is Zero Condensation.

Edited by cereal tiller

My vote would be diesel blow air heating as well,  you can devise it to circulate the air around the boat so will be able to heat the boat using both solid fuel and air heater, some can also be run without the heating part so can add air flow for summer use.

1 minute ago, Robbo said:

My vote would be diesel blow air heating as well,  you can devise it to circulate the air around the boat so will be able to heat the boat using both solid fuel and air heater, some can also be run without the heating part so can add air flow for summer use.

There are no Cold spots on the Boat as the Ducting Delivers Air to required areas and Radiates heat in every Compartment it runs through, under Beds , Bath etc.

Metal Ducting is Cheaper than the foil Paper stuff and dumps heat Quickly. 

I should have realised straight away that this is a boating forum and that you would require a 'small tank' in which to store diesel and not a 'small tank' that runs on diesel. I was going to suggest you should post on the sister "I want to start and army" blog.

image.png.d7855f0e91c4885c92f38c0fc9b4d75e.png

• Greenie 1