Boat scam

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Just now, Horace42 said:

Sorry to hear of your problems, but even if the boat is found, will it be yours?

If it is a scam, then perhaps you have bought a stolen boat - which won't be yours even if it is found.

Good luck!

The op has just taken the information from Farcebucket - its not their 'problem'.

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The op has just taken the information from Farcebucket - its not their 'problem'.

Exactly.

I took it as more of a warning that there is a scammer on the loose selling a boat then failing to deliver it. 

Hence the general discussion rather than specific attempts to help the OP (who is not a victim). 

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

54 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Exactly.

I took it as more of a warning that there is a scammer on the loose selling a boat then failing to deliver it. 

Hence the general discussion rather than specific attempts to help the OP (who is not a victim). 

Fine, point made, but the OP did ask for help........................ Anyone able to help.. here's the full info...

It seems that the whereabouts of the boat is known.  If it were on CRT waters, and the police were involved, then it would be simple to establish who last licensed it (although this is not proof of ownership, it would be a start).  Being on the ML makes that much more difficult, but what would happen if the (possibly) scammed couple simply took over the boat?  Either they  would then have it or someone would pop up to say "Oi! you can't do that!", which at least would make the situation clearer.

The boat is not lost, its still moored on the Middle Level, it just never got taken out and sent to Sussex or wherever the buyer came from. I have no idea who own the boat but there are photos of its interia with the "seller" sitting there.

Capture.JPG

Edited by ditchcrawler

8 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

How often do you meet them in, say, a car park, hand over the money, drive off without the goods and hope they get delivered? ;)

Well, I checked in between 'buses this morning. It wasn't on the town moorings in March and it wasn't on the other side of the town bridge where the park and the sanny station are.

Meant to be at west end park in the last couple of day, I was in fox's yesterday morning (pulling a friends boat out) and it wasn't in there.

I'm sure I saw it around the area during the summer outside march (opposite way to fox's)

48380779_10205487688429027_1095797881224298496_o.jpg

Not my pic, (from facebook, meant to have been taken in last couple of days)

Edited by Jess--

7 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's because you come over as very trustworthy, but then so do con men :detective:

No, con men are even better at coming across as trustworthy as it's their stock in trade, whilst the completely trustworthy are also likely to be complete amateurs.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It could be that they are still trying to arrange a haulage company and the 'new owner' is panicking unnecessarily.

Or they may have moored temporarily whilst they pop to the launderette with their lone ranger masks, stripey shirts and swag bags. ;)

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

That's because you come over as very trustworthy, but then so do con men :detective:

Must be the boiler business... 4 years ago we had our boiler serviced while we were in oz. to pay him i gave him cc details etc. he never billed us. I rang him and said so. Ok. Nothing. Next year an email from him boiler and gas cert due. Ok please do it heres cc details etc. by the way last year you never took the $$$. Fine - invoice in post etc cert to letting agent. 

Never billed my card. Rang him reminded him etc- no you are down as paid.

the next year i rang him for the service- out of business.

( it wasnt mike)

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Must be the boiler business... 4 years ago we had our boiler serviced while we were in oz. to pay him i gave him cc details etc. he never billed us. I rang him and said so. Ok. Nothing. Next year an email from him boiler and gas cert due. Ok please do it heres cc details etc. by the way last year you never took the $$$. Fine - invoice in post etc cert to letting agent. 

Never billed my card. Rang him reminded him etc- no you are down as paid.

the next year i rang him for the service- out of business.

( it wasnt mike)

When we were letting properties in Manchester we had a deal with the owner of a local shop, where they held keys and an amount of cash of ours to pay any local tradesmen that we used.

So anyone doing work on the properties while we weren't there would call at the shop, pick up keys, do the work, and then return the keys and be paid in cash.

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

I will need your DNA, 2 forms of photo ID, a sworn affidavit, 3 proofs of address.Oh and I'll pay you by credit card at the end of the month after I have taken the boat. OK?

Nah not having none of that. Do you want this £10k boat for £3.5k or not?