Solar question

Featured Posts

Is this your 1st boat / 1st Winter ?

What makes you think that your controller has failed ?

Remember that at this time of year (October to March) you will not be getting any (much) Solar power. You either need to run your engine, get a generator, or take a mooring with a 'hook-up'.

If your batteries are down to 10v, then they are 'deceased' and you will need to  replace them - but, unless you get a reliable method of putting charge back into them you will kill the new ones in a matter of weeks.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

13 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

My solar controller failed and my battery bank has gone down to - 10 v , I have a new Tracer MPPT controller to fit, my question is will the controller power itself up off the solar coming in if the batteries are flat, or do I need to get some voltage in them first ?

If they’re reading 10V then the Tracer will set itself correctly for a 12V system. Then you connect the panels. However, for the next three months you’ll be getting two fifths of bugger all from your Solar so if you have an alternate means of charging I suggest you use it ASAP. 

If there is voltage in the batteries 10V should be enough to tell the controller its a 12V bank and then when spring comes solar may recharge them. Note what Alan said above. I too suspect youare not charging them enough and they may now have  had it, but get some mains power and try charging them.

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If they’re reading 10V then the Tracer will set itself correctly for a 12V system. Then you connect the panels. However, for the next three months you’ll be getting two fifths of bugger all from your Solar so if you have an alternate means of charging I suggest you use it ASAP. 

The Tracer will not charge batteries with a voltage as low as this - a safety feature.

You need to run your engine, hope the alternator can put some charge in them quickly - or as others state, stick them on charge using a domestic 240v supply for  several days - you might save them, you might not. 

11 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

I gave them a full charging with a 30 amp digital leisure battery charger from the mains until the unit switched itself off, I've now got the new solar controller installed , and were back in operation. 

Now we have no solar for the next 3 months, how will you keep your batteries charged ?

44 minutes ago, CompairHolman said:

I gave them a full charging with a 30 amp digital leisure battery charger from the mains until the unit switched itself off, I've now got the new solar controller installed , and were back in operation. 

I would suggest you repeat that operation again as they tend to go off to early especially considering how low you took them.