Help me out please.

Greyladyx

Featured Posts

I can't find a way to add a picture (can  someone help?)

Ok my issue is I live aboard 24/7 but in my cupboard I have an inspection hatch in the steen which I leave the board off for inspection.

I am getting damp and water only condensation but it's a rot worry.

Question ?

If I shut the rear bedroom door and make a heath Robinson bed frame and sleep in the middle of the boat , would the inspection hatch exposed baseplate or anywhere else in the rear have less condensation. ??

Finish your cornflakes first no rush.

(I might be a bit random not slept for two days)

IMHO any area where you expose raw cold steel to heat and moisture you will get condensation - I would put the cover back to reduce the amount of heat/moisture getting to the steel but I may be wrong - others here will correct me - interesting question.

Sorry to add to worries but this clearly assumes you are happy it isn't a leak??

Edited by Halsey

Anti condensation paint. Made from nanospheres. I've known it work on a stone cottage door surround, the solid stone mullions and lintel used to get black mould from condensation. A couple of coats cured it. It's white but can be over painted. 

Lots of variables for condensation. Amount of air going in and out od the boat. What are your low and high level vents like? Do they meet the advisory levels for the boat safery scheme. The BSS vents are more for carbon monoxide prevention, but affect condensation too. 

Insulation. Moisture in the air will condense on cold surfaces. Any bare metal, or glass to the outside world will be cold and condense out moisture. cold closed cupboards at the ends of the boat that warm air from the stove doean't get to.

The more moisture in the air in the boat, the more condensation. Ventilation helps exchange it with drier air from oitside. You are a cause. Breathing and evaporation from your skin. Not a lot you can di abour that as not breathing isn't very healthy. Cooking on gas produces huge amounts, from boiling water and combustion of gas. I open the slide hatch, or doora near my cooker when cooking unless the weather is truly vile.

Moving where you sleep is unlikely to make any difference.

Jen

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This ^^^ addresses the symptoms, but not the cause. That's not to say it might not help in confined area are like your cupboard, particularly if you shut the door. 

The way to combat condensation is through insulation and ventilation.

Very true, and, as you say, they aren't a fix, but they might help.

6 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

I can't find a way to add a picture (can  someone help?)

Ok my issue is I live aboard 24/7 but in my cupboard I have an inspection hatch in the steen which I leave the board off for inspection.

I am getting damp and water only condensation but it's a rot worry.

Question ?

If I shut the rear bedroom door and make a heath Robinson bed frame and sleep in the middle of the boat , would the inspection hatch exposed baseplate or anywhere else in the rear have less condensation. ??

Finish your cornflakes first no rush.

(I might be a bit random not slept for two days)

Be afraid, be very afraid. I reckon if you live till you are 206 the base plate will rot through and your boat will deffo sink!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nut said:

why have you not slept for two days

It just happens now and then.

5 hours ago, Halsey said:

IMHO any area where you expose raw cold steel to heat and moisture you will get condensation - I would put the cover back to reduce the amount of heat/moisture getting to the steel but I may be wrong - others here will correct me - interesting question.

Sorry to add to worries but this clearly assumes you are happy it isn't a leak??

Ok I've put the cover back on with a dog training pad underneath.

It's not a leak it's a newish boat.

Thanks.

5 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Lots of variables for condensation. Amount of air going in and out od the boat. What are your low and high level vents like? Do they meet the advisory levels for the boat safery scheme. The BSS vents are more for carbon monoxide prevention, but affect condensation too. 

Insulation. Moisture in the air will condense on cold surfaces. Any bare metal, or glass to the outside world will be cold and condense out moisture. cold closed cupboards at the ends of the boat that warm air from the stove doean't get to.

The more moisture in the air in the boat, the more condensation. Ventilation helps exchange it with drier air from oitside. You are a cause. Breathing and evaporation from your skin. Not a lot you can di abour that as not breathing isn't very healthy. Cooking on gas produces huge amounts, from boiling water and combustion of gas. I open the slide hatch, or doora near my cooker when cooking unless the weather is truly vile.

Moving where you sleep is unlikely to make any difference.

Jen

Thanks Jen,  my vents are in compliance but I need to get on top of this condensation as I have some rusty steel surface stuff only.

44 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Be afraid, be very afraid. I reckon if you live till you are 206 the base plate will rot through and your boat will deffo sink!!

I might make 45 or 46 if I don't sign in on cwdf. Lol

8 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

..............................….It's not a leak it's a newish boat...……………………………..

Sorry to disillusion you but that is irrelevant - brand new or very old leaks are still a fact of life on a boat - not saying you have one just try to be sure you haven't - does the level change with rain or when you are using the shower/washing machine etc what is the water all about does it taste is it fresh, dirty, rusty, bluish (antifreeze) from c/htg rads engine etc etc - all simple checks but worth eliminating - has this issue only arisen now its getting cold?

Edited by Halsey

15 minutes ago, Halsey said:

Sorry to disillusion you but that is irrelevant - brand new or very old leaks are still a fact of life on a boat - not saying you have one just try to be sure you haven't - does the level change with rain or when you are using the shower/washing machine etc what is the water all about does it taste is it fresh, dirty, rusty, bluish (antifreeze) from c/htg rads engine etc etc - all simple checks but worth eliminating - has this issue only arisen now its getting cold?

Had similar on my boat.Always some condensation in cold weather,but I [eventually ] found one of my windows was leaking.

The water was trickling behind the trim,and gathering in the bilge then percolating back to the inspection hatch.

It couldn't be seen inside the boat,because of the trim around the window,and I only found it because mould was growing in one corner of one window so prompting me to investigate further.

38 minutes ago, Halsey said:

It's not a leak it's just condensation, the wood is getting damp as the picture shows, thing is my stove is a the front and I can't run the eberspacher all night.

It gets really damp air, I've bought some dehumidifiers like another poster suggested.

In the picture it's dried out a bit but it was quite wet yesterday, this is why I thought if moving/sleeping in the middle of the boat hoping it would stop it.

Yes yes it's only just started now it's getting cold and the wood on the sliding hatch us turning black in the corners with condensation.

Thanks.

20181210_214044.jpg

Edited by Greyladyx
Autospell
  • Happy 1

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Had similar on my boat.Always some condensation in cold weather,but I [eventually ] found one of my windows was leaking.

The water was trickling behind the trim,and gathering in the bilge then percolating back to the inspection hatch.

It couldn't be seen inside the boat,because of the trim around the window,and I only found it because mould was growing in one corner of one window so prompting me to investigate further.

Yer i have tainted wood starting.

I am going to wait until summer when it's dried out a varnish and silicone all the windows.

I guess I am being daft really but I don't want rust or wood to get a grip.

• Happy 1

We suffer condensation on our boat during the colder months. The main culprits are the uninsulated engine room, and poorly insulated water tank. 

These two coupled with mrs rusty showering (I obviously dont wash, so not a problem), cooking and clothes drying add to the problem.

Tis one of the problems of winter boat dwelling, reduced by good ventilation, good insulation and good practice (oh, and a bloody great dehumidifier if you have unlimited power). 

I too think moving to the middle of the boat will make little difference. 

Welcome back btw

Good luck.

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

We suffer condensation on our boat during the colder months. The main culprits are the uninsulated engine room, and poorly insulated water tank. 

These two coupled with mrs rusty showering (I obviously dont wash, so not a problem), cooking and clothes drying add to the problem.

Tis one of the problems of winter boat dwelling, reduced by good ventilation, good insulation and good practice (oh, and a bloody great dehumidifier if you have unlimited power). 

I too think moving to the middle of the boat will make little difference. 

Welcome back btw

Good luck.

Thanks rusty,  I might buy an electric dehumidifier as well as using them soaky up ones. (I have shore power so that might help)

I don't wash too.☺️. (Just a wet rag now and then)

I boil rice a lot and that really gets everything metal wet.

Thankyou cj

1 minute ago, Greyladyx said:

Thanks rusty,  I might buy an electric dehumidifier as well as using them soaky up ones. (I have shore power so that might help)

I don't wash too.☺️. (Just a wet rag now and then)

I boil rice a lot and that really gets everything metal wet.

Thankyou cj

About the only thing i can cook is rice. Put a lid on it :)

Blimey, you is posh using a rag! 

Rustys rice. 

Chop onion and garlic 

Heat a little oil in a pan and add onion and garlic. 

Meanwhile boil some water in kettle. 

Add 1 cup of rice to pan and stir around for a bit. 

Add stock cube and a bit of salt to cup. 

Measure  1.5 cups of boiling water, add to saucpan. 

Stir about a bit. 

Add lid, bring to boil, and reduce to low simmer. 

Wait 20 minutes (can stir half way through if you like). 

Too high and it will stick. No water to drain. Soak rice before hand to remove starch if you can be arsed. 

1 cup of rice to 1.5 cups of water. 

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Rustys rice. 

Chop onion and garlic 

Heat a little oil in a pan and add onions and garlic. 

Meanwhile boil some water in kettle. 

Add 1 cup of rice to pan and stir around for a bit. 

Add stock cube and a bit of salt to cup. 

Measure  1.5 cups of boiling water, add to saucpan. 

Stir about a bit. 

Add lid, bring to boil, and reduce to low simmer. 

Wait 20 minutes (can stir half way through if you like). 

Too high and it will stick. No water to drain. Soak rice before hand to remove starch if you can be arsed. 

Then add rice to a bowl of miso soup :D