Marina smoke pollution

Piratepete

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Ah interesting thread, the stuff coming out of my neighbours chimney stinks, dunno what type of wood he's burning, I often close the windows. 

Reason I was reading this thread is because I was wondering why sometimes my burner roars when I first light it and other times it just flickers and takes longer to warm up. I'm thinking it's down to conditions outside, ie windy day roaring fire?? 

The wind certainly affects our Morso squirrel, not so much when lighting it, but I keep the bottom air control closed more on windy days than calm days.

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The wind certainly affects our Morso squirrel, not so much when lighting it, but I keep the bottom air control closed more on windy days than calm days.

Very much so, if your not careful the fire can run away on a windy day, keep an eye on the weather 

My chimney smokes at startup and when I chuck more coal on but it soon burns clear. But most narrowboats I see seem to smoulder all day. I guess they must have badly installed stoves and those short stumpy chimneys don't provide enough draw so they never really burn the fuel properly. Or maybe they smoulder because the flue is never swept and the stove isn't cleaned out often enough? Anyway, the emissions from poorly burned fuels of any description tend to contain more hazardous compounds than fuels that have been properly burned at higher temperatures.

Edited by blackrose

• 2 years later...

Slightly off track,  We are livaboards on a narrow boat making our way up the River Thames, currently at Windsor slowly making our way towards Oxford.  We are running low on smokeless coal. Anybody out there who knows where we can stock up? We don't have access to a vehicle.     

5 hours ago, Morningmist said:

Slightly off track,  We are livaboards on a narrow boat making our way up the River Thames, currently at Windsor slowly making our way towards Oxford.  We are running low on smokeless coal. Anybody out there who knows where we can stock up? We don't have access to a vehicle.     

Maybe you can also try asking on the London Boaters Facebook site, someone may know the area and hopefully help.

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Reading area!

Read what I wrote, I said someone may know the area like someone on here might know the area, there stands more chance that someone around the London/Thames area knows the area better then people in the Midlands or North. I know a bit off track, like their question as they say.

Edited by PD1964

17 hours ago, Morningmist said:

Bourne End marina usually have some smokeless coal. It's half an hour upstream of Cookham lock on the right after the railway bridge. 

They also have diesel and calor gas. It's a good place. Closed on Sundays.

Not sure if Chris is still running the fuel boat Merchant but might be worth calling and checking. He usually based at Staines upon Thames and does regular runs although I have not seen him recently. 

I'm just above Windsor at the moment as it happens.

ETA Chris:

Merchant. Chris Iddon (07921694287 or 07902 851914

Edited by magnetman

If it is only coal you want it might be worth calling them to check. I have not actually bought coal there before but noticed some in their gas bottle compound. I suppose depending on conditions they might sell out of it as they do have several people who live on boats on site. 

If it is only coal you want it might be worth calling them to check. I have not actually bought coal there before but noticed some in their gas bottle compound. I suppose depending on conditions they might sell out of it as they do have several people who live on boats on site. 

ETA if you have a decent bowsaw there is quite a lot of firewood to be had around the Windsor moorings. 

6 hours ago, magnetman said:

Not sure if Chris is still running the fuel boat Merchant but might be worth calling and checking. He usually based at Staines upon Thames and does regular runs although I have not seen him recently. 

Merchant. Chris Iddon (07921694287 or 07902 851914

I read he is still trading but stuck because of lock closures, but as I don't follow Thames closures they may have lifted by now

Closures on this part of the Thames as far as I am aware have all been lifted, I have tried to contact Chris by email and phone without success. I believe we passed by his barge in Staines Upon Thames the other day, but it looked very much still laid up. So I will try to contact him again.

Many thanks Drayke & John6767 for the marinas that stock smokeless Coal,  when I get closer to Reading  I will give them a call.     I have telephoned leaving massages for Chris on Fuel Boat Merchant, but as, yet I have had no reply.  Many thanks to you all for your help.