Marina smoke pollution

Piratepete

Featured Posts

Burning wood especially green fresh stuff will annoy any neighbour, what I find worse and a bigger problem is someone running a knackered old lister pumping horendious amounts of toxic choking fog as was next to me once.

I had to shout at a boat last week to ploy them out if their boat because their ebersplutter or webasto was throwing out battlefield amounts of white diesel smoke and it did not go through the shut off cycle.

God knows what the boat owners next door came back too, all their window tops were open?

Edited by Greyladyx

3 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

Burning wood especially green fresh stuff will annoy any neighbour

Any wood, any neighbour? Do you have to be a next door neighbour? Because I live in a marina and some of my nearby neighbours burn wood - I've smelt it coming from my next door neighbour's chimney (when outside the boat) - and it hasn't ever annoyed me. My next door neighbour on the other side burned coal and that did bother me - nasty smell and my boat was covered in soot (past tense as I've moved berth - coal burning not being the main reason, but it did influence the decision). I also sometimes burn wood - I was initially unsure about doing so and didn't for quite a while after moving into the marina, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any rule against it here. To some extent from the perspective of being anti-social the bigger issue here is that there are flats right next to our basin on a couple of sides, it was only on smelling the wood burning from next door and a conversation with the dad of a friend who lives in a house who suggested that people wouldn't mind the smell of wood smoke that I started.

Though as with all things it's mainly about following Wheaton's Law (for those not up with modern idioms there is google...) I did once manage to produce a lot of smoke when I put some wood on in the morning much to my own embarrassment - I guess it was a bit wetter than I'd thought, I do generally check my smoke output and that's the only time it was a problem. I certainly don't burn green wood (and from what I can tell nobody else here does either), but then I wouldn't if I was on the cut miles from anybody else. I'm not sure there is a huge problem with burning wood responsibly - which means burning well seasoned wood, not producing lots of smoke and being approachable and responding to requests from neighbours. As mentioned above, rules are needed because some people can't be trusted to follow Wheaton's Law.

27 minutes ago, aracer said:

Any wood, any neighbour? Do you have to be a next door neighbour? Because I live in a marina and some of my nearby neighbours burn wood - I've smelt it coming from my next door neighbour's chimney (when outside the boat) - and it hasn't ever annoyed me. My next door neighbour on the other side burned coal and that did bother me - nasty smell and my boat was covered in soot (past tense as I've moved berth - coal burning not being the main reason, but it did influence the decision). I also sometimes burn wood - I was initially unsure about doing so and didn't for quite a while after moving into the marina, but there certainly doesn't seem to be any rule against it here. To some extent from the perspective of being anti-social the bigger issue here is that there are flats right next to our basin on a couple of sides, it was only on smelling the wood burning from next door and a conversation with the dad of a friend who lives in a house who suggested that people wouldn't mind the smell of wood smoke that I started.

Though as with all things it's mainly about following Wheaton's Law (for those not up with modern idioms there is google...) I did once manage to produce a lot of smoke when I put some wood on in the morning much to my own embarrassment - I guess it was a bit wetter than I'd thought, I do generally check my smoke output and that's the only time it was a problem. I certainly don't burn green wood (and from what I can tell nobody else here does either), but then I wouldn't if I was on the cut miles from anybody else. I'm not sure there is a huge problem with burning wood responsibly - which means burning well seasoned wood, not producing lots of smoke and being approachable and responding to requests from neighbours. As mentioned above, rules are needed because some people can't be trusted to follow Wheaton's Law.

Life is quite simple once you seperate that world to this one.

Who checks smoke output.?

That's funny.

Nice try TB might be warmer.

14 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Life is quite simple once you seperate that world to this one.

Who checks smoke output.?

That's funny.

Nice try TB might be warmer.

What on earth are you on about?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, aracer said:

What on earth are you on about?

this. Your post.

My next door neighbour on the other side burned coal and that did bother me - nasty smell and my boat was covered in soot

1 hour ago, aracer said:

Well I don't follow Wheaton law I just get up and hòpe for the best, I burn green fresh wood every day it's not the best.

I don't always do live well but I've never met anyone on the canal who has cracked it.

Guess being  awake is a bonus

I do feel that thundersh1te has Bletchley staff on here.

Getting annoyed not posting tonight.

Tired.com

• 1 month later...

I was relatively uninterested in the op's post, until I found myself in the same situation! Currently berthed next to a boat that has quite a short chimney and burns a lot of wood, the other morning I awoke feeling very groggy, and to a sickening smell of burning in the boat - it was the smoke from outside that had been blowing in through my stern vents and all the gaps between doors etc (my boat is  not finished so no seals yet!). I don't know if the chap wasn't onboard initially, or if the wind changed direction, but I have since had to come to a regime of taping all the vents and gaps right up, at the stern, which has done the trick. Though a bit of a faff for getting in and out.

I don't want to give the guy a hard time, he's busily working away trying to fit the boat out and the last thing he needs is someone giving him grief as he struggles to keep warm while putting all his spare time into the project. After all, we all have to keep warm and I burn wood too! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add. I found that another neighbouring chimney was blowing in my direction too, and got to wondering why the fumes were so bad. In the marina office they sell two types of fuel , and I went to get a couple bags of Excel. Someone there mentioned that the other one, Stove Glow, burned hotter... but smelled more. Interesting, I thought. So I bought one of each, to experiment.

Well, not much experimentation needed - just chucked a load of Stove glow on, five minutes later opened the door to add  a bit of wood - and there it was. That ghastly, sickly sweet, pungent stench that has been bothering me.

I have to say, the Stove glow gets a total thumbs down from me - never have I encountered such a noxious fug. This stuff makes me feel really ill, really quickly. Maybe its no more lethal than anything else - all smoke is toxic - but it sure seems it.

7 hours ago, artleknock said:

Pity that peat is not more available in this country. It smells lovely, just like a glass of good malt.

When I had my Tim Sistems magic stove I used to burn wood and peat on it, the peat burnt with a lovely blue flame not overly hot but as you say nice smell and very clean

• Greenie 1

On 10/12/2018 at 10:46, frangar said:

Personally while I burn smokeless fuel I love the smell of woodsmoke either when afloat or ashore....mind you I also like the smell of diesel fumes and road tar so some might say I’m a bit odd......

"Cor" you & TreeMonkey are  weird enough to be a boater s?

• Greenie 2

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 09:46, frangar said:

Personally while I burn smokeless fuel I love the smell of woodsmoke either when afloat or ashore....mind you I also like the smell of diesel fumes and road tar so some might say I’m a bit odd......

A proper steam-roller and fresh tarmac, lovely combination.  Castrol R takes me back to Wembley Speedway in JAP days.  Somewhere I read a book explaining the different trees and how they burnt (or not).  And don't burn wood that has been painted with old lead-based paint - go and pick up fallen branches.

As for the original question - I thought the point of living on a boat was so that you could move it.   Stupid me.

13 minutes ago, Chris Williams said:

A proper steam-roller and fresh tarmac, lovely combination.  Castrol R takes me back to Wembley Speedway in JAP days.  Somewhere I read a book explaining the different trees and how they burnt (or not).  And don't burn wood that has been painted with old lead-based paint - go and pick up fallen branches.

As for the original question - I thought the point of living on a boat was so that you could move it.   Stupid me.

Sorry you carn't leave a comment like that and not name the book, I won't be able to sleep :)

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Sorry you carn't leave a comment like that and not name the book, I won't be able to sleep :)

Dam', you have made me go and hunt for it. - It was a children's book, so quite old

'Trees', by Janet Kelman, published by Nelson.  No date.   

"Chestnut wood burns badly; it sends up a great many sparks and it smoulders, but will not burn brightly"; 

"Torches were made of Spruce Fir branches, they burnt easily with a clear, strong light"; 

"Juniper when burnt keeps away witches and the smoke drives away serpents and destroys germs of plague"

So now you know.

• Greenie 2

The Firewood Poem by Lady Celia Congreve

Beechwood fires are bright and clear

If the logs are kept a year,
Chestnut's only good they say,
If for logs 'tis laid away.
Make a fire of Elder tree,
Death within your house will be;
But ash new or ash old,
Is fit for a queen with crown of gold"

"Birch and fir logs burn too fast
Blaze up bright and do not last,
it is by the Irish said
Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread.
Elm wood burns like churchyard mould,
E'en the very flames are cold
But ash green or ash brown
Is fit for a queen with golden crown."

Poplar gives a bitter smoke,
Fills your eyes and makes you choke,
Apple wood will scent your room
Pear wood smells like flowers in bloom
Oaken logs, if dry and old
keep away the winter's cold
But ash wet or ash dry
a king shall warm his slippers by."

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

OH NO! Not that old chestnut :) again.  It might just have a smidgin of truth for open fires,but there aren't too many of them on boats.   At least the children's book has some use in that it tells you which woods keep witches away.  And serpents and the plague.

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

On 17/12/2018 at 03:00, Greyladyx said:

Well I don't follow Wheaton law I just get up and hòpe for the best, I burn green fresh wood every day it's not the best.

I don't always do live well but I've never met anyone on the canal who has cracked it.

Guess being  awake is a bonus

I do feel that thundersh1te has Bletchley staff on here.

Getting annoyed not posting tonight.

Tired.com

What is this Thundersh#te you speak of? I know of Thunderboat because I in common with quite a few others (even 2 mods from here) am a member 

Phil

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

What is this Thundersh#te you speak of? I know of Thunderboat because I in common with quite a few others (even 2 mods from here) am a member 

Phil

Greyladyx no longer posts, so you are unlikely to get a reply from her. 

• 11 months later...

Ah interesting thread, the stuff coming out of my neighbours chimney stinks, dunno what type of wood he's burning, I often close the windows. 

Reason I was reading this thread is because I was wondering why sometimes my burner roars when I first light it and other times it just flickers and takes longer to warm up. I'm thinking it's down to conditions outside, ie windy day roaring fire?? 

4 minutes ago, Tom766 said:

Ah interesting thread, the stuff coming out of my neighbours chimney stinks, dunno what type of wood he's burning, I often close the windows. 

Reason I was reading this thread is because I was wondering why sometimes my burner roars when I first light it and other times it just flickers and takes longer to warm up. I'm thinking it's down to conditions outside, ie windy day roaring fire?? 

Have you got a Morso Lion?It sposed to roar.

$_86.jpeg