Marina smoke pollution

Piratepete

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

A Scargill was a Pompous Noodle and the Miner's Fortunes would have  improved without his Smooth Negotiating Skills.

Quite. He was simply using the miners as a tool to further his objective of "bringing down the guvverment". He certainly did not have the interests of the miners at heart as far as I could see. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Quite. He was simply using the miners as a tool to further his objective of "bringing down the guvverment". He certainly did not have the interests of the miners at heart as far as I could see. 

I guess that he never came to terms with his 'Comb Over'?.true story ,I had  boat Owner client that attended Meetings that Arthur also attended and I know what was in his Briefcase ,2 items only...can you Guess what they were?this IS a true story. 

3 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

I guess that he never came to terms with his 'Comb Over'?.true story ,I had  boat Owner client that attended Meetings that Arthur also attended and I know what was in his Briefcase ,2 items only...can you Guess what they were?this IS a true story. 

Daily Mirror and bottle of brown ale?

I used to go out with a Barbara Brookes who used to be married to Kieth Brookes, Scargills  left hand man I have watched film of the meetings it wasnt pleasant and in no way advanced the miners cause. My dads mine Brookhouse was played out so why should it stay open? A plan existed to open super mines which Scargill scuppered well done Arthur  destroyed an industry for your own advancement

22 hours ago, peterboat said:

We bought frame forks and rear shocks came with it if I remember right, we had always had Dominators and Commandos, so we were used to bikes that would go around corners, not something that squirmed all over and tried to kill you at every bend

David Jason in the form of Del Boy stole my Commando.

Well, he didn't really but it's a long story.......................

3 hours ago, plainsman said:

It was Thatcher that stopped the development of flue filters to trap Co2 for power stations. She also chopped the research funding for burning coal underground to extract energy and trap pollution.  Scargill not the idiot,  he exposed the Govt biased funding for nuclear power. At that time if the coal industry received the same subsidy as the nuclear energy,  coal could have been given away and still made a profit and kept communities intact.  Scargill's methods and approach are questionable but by no means an idiot.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I used to go out with a Barbara Brookes who used to be married to Kieth Brookes, Scargills  left hand man I have watched film of the meetings it wasnt pleasant and in no way advanced the miners cause. My dads mine Brookhouse was played out so why should it stay open? A plan existed to open super mines which Scargill scuppered well done Arthur  destroyed an industry for your own advancement

Evidence please.

The Government had been purchasing mining equipment before the strike lots of it, a very nice chap showed us the plans earlier this year, he was one of the people that was organising it. However one of the issues was that the mines were going to be [other than Selby] in other areas than Yorkshire.  Anyway the strike happened, and afterwards Maggie decided that she would never be held to ransom again by the miners, so the equipment was sold, South Africa and Australia bought a lot of it. It was an interesting afternoon with him, and he had the papers to prove his point, and he actually did make a special journey from Thoresby to show us the papers so I believe he was telling the truth. 

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

A Scargill was a Pompous Noodle and the Miner's Fortunes would have  improved without his Smooth Negotiating Skills.

Back in 1984 our Arthur was carrying out NUM policy as mandated by the membership but I would agree that he never was a negotiator. Very rarely, if ever, do (did?) union leaders achieve 100% of what they were asking. The skill is (was?) in selling whatever compromise has been achieved back to the membership (and why does that sound horribly familiar at the moment?)

It was a South Wales NUM leader (whose name escapes me) who said something along the lines of "Any donkey can get men out on strike but it takes a lion to lead them back to work"

Having said all that I still stand by what the NUM did in 1984/85. We were the only union that had the balls to stand up and fight Thatcher et al. We were wrong footed from the start, the government choosing exactly where and when the fight took place. The fact that most of the union stayed out for the best part of a year is an achievement in itself, if not exactly a victory. I feel proud to have been a small part of that struggle.

It was a long time ago but if you supported the NUM back then you still have my heartfelt thanks.

SAM

ex Hatfield NUM

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, there were many miners in my Mum's side of my family - indeed I never knew my Uncle Fred because he died as the result of a mine collapse while still in his 20s. On the other hand, demand for coal was falling: the railways no longer used it, nor did large sections of industry, and its use as domestic fuel was declining. So fewer mines (and thus miners) were needed.

For the nonce we can class this discussion as social history rather than politics, before anyone asks.

28 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, there were many miners in my Mum's side of my family - indeed I never knew my Uncle Fred because he died as the result of a mine collapse while still in his 20s. On the other hand, demand for coal was falling: the railways no longer used it, nor did large sections of industry, and its use as domestic fuel was declining. So fewer mines (and thus miners) were needed.

For the nonce we can class this discussion as social history rather than politics, before anyone asks.

I am sure that you will have some accurate and proper usage and meaning of the word that has been used previously but you might want to check it's modern usage

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I am sure that you will have some accurate and proper usage and meaning of the word that has been used previously but you might want to check it's modern usage

Precisely what I was thinking ?

22 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am sure that you will have some accurate and proper usage and meaning of the word that has been used previously but you might want to check its modern usage

It means "for the time being", and is an expression I use fairly often. I had not realised that it was uncommon.

Edited by Athy

Isn't this forum wonderful?  We have gone through a discussion on the undesirable impact of wood smoke, the highly desirable memory of Castrol R to a very reasoned discussion on what for many is a highly contentious subject!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, dor said:

Isn't this forum wonderful?  We have gone through a discussion on the undesirable impact of wood smoke, the highly desirable memory of Castrol R to a very reasoned discussion on what for many is a highly contentious subject!

Thats because the forum reflects real discussions in real life innitt. When we are out with friends for a beer etc we often start discussing one thing and an hour later have covered zillions of topics. Never in real life does no one wander off on another tangent.