Marina smoke pollution

Piratepete

Featured Posts

33 minutes ago, Loddon said:

I smell  your 2T and I raise you Castrol R.....

Ah Castrol R.  That takes me back to going with my dad to Brands Hatch in the '50s.  Though coincidentally I smelt it last week when an old Triumph went up the road rather quickly ( well for a '60s Bonneville at least...).

As for the wood smoke, I would be checking with the marina management and seeing if they have a smoke policy in their T&Cs.

Edited by dor

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our marina has a blanket ban on solid fuel and wood burning stoves for this very reason.

I wondered why I got glared at by those on the flybridge Tupperware when I opened up the JP in there!! Made me smile as a blew a few smuts out!!

Edited by frangar
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Some marinas dont allow wood burning for this obvious reason, its completely anti social.

How is wood burning antisocial? It has kept mankind warm for thousands of years. A bonfire has always been the heart of all the memorable boaters gatherings i've been fortunate enough to attend. 

17 minutes ago, BWM said:

How is wood burning antisocial? It has kept mankind warm for thousands of years. A bonfire has always been the heart of all the memorable boaters gatherings i've been fortunate enough to attend. 

Its banned from many marinas. The reason is a straightforwrd one in that it belches thick smoke into other peoples boats. Coal is also banned in many marinas. After the initial few minutes of getting the fire started modern so called " smokeless " fuels are far friendlier to your neighbours. I attend boaters gatgherings every day of my life nearly and I am pleased to say that at my present local there are no wood burners.

3 hours ago, dor said:

Ah Castrol R.  That takes me back to going with my dad to Brands Hatch in the '50s.  Though coincidentally I smelt it last week when an old Triumph went up the road rather quickly ( well for a '60s Bonneville at least...).

As for the wood smoke, I would be checking with the marina management and seeing if they have a smoke policy in their T&Cs.

I was at Mabelthorpe yesterday they were beach racing Castro R perfik took me back years in seconds ?

5 hours ago, Mike Hurley said:

The smell of 2 stroke, now that takes me back to my Suzuki 750 GT triple, nicer than fresh cut grass.

Great engine crap handling, and two steering dampers to stop tank slapping!! I had a Z1A first thing we did was slap it in a Rickman frame before we killed ourselves?

• Happy 1

45 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Its banned from many marinas. The reason is a straightforwrd one in that it belches thick smoke into other peoples boats. Coal is also banned in many marinas. After the initial few minutes of getting the fire started modern so called " smokeless " fuels are far friendlier to your neighbours. I attend boaters gatgherings every day of my life nearly and I am pleased to say that at my present local there are no wood burners.

I've never been a fan of marinas, and that is another good reason to avoid them. I must admit, you must have quite a social life to have gatherings every day! 

No bonfire, you must be attending the boaters version of an AA meeting.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I guess its easier to apply a blanket ban than specify a list of species and max. moisture content etc. Or to expect people to display common sense and courtesy to their neighbours.

• Happy 1

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Some marinas dont allow wood burning for this obvious reason, its completely anti social.

We can burn wood on our stove without causing a nuisance to others..why cant others?

There was a boat moored a couple or pontoons away from us and whenever we were there it was belching stinking smoke from burning wood, The level of ash on the boats moored around us was obvious and our worktops were dirty. We don't live on board but if we did I would have been looking for a change of berth . For fires there is wood and there is wood, from seasoned hard wood, fresh damp wood and general crap.

• Greenie 1

12 hours ago, frangar said:

I wondered why I got glared at by those on the flybridge Tupperware when I opened up the JP in there!! Made me smile as a blew a few smuts out!!

It isn't just for the benefit of the boat owners but also for the benefit of the home owners around the lakes and the businesses. 

I doubt your boat was the smokiest in there by far. Some look like they have set on fire when they start up :blink:

11 hours ago, MJG said:

We can burn wood on our stove without causing a nuisance to others..why cant others?

Because your chimney is thirty feet in the air away from other house windows. Boats in marinas are six foot in the air at face level and often with other peoples vents only a few feet away for smoke to drift in to. Its not like houses or caravans honest mister ?

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, Paul C said:

I guess its easier to apply a blanket ban than specify a list of species and max. moisture content etc. Or to expect people to display common sense and courtesy to their neighbours.

Precisely. trouble is many people are in the I am alright Jack brigade. Over my many years as a liveaboard I have suffered horrendous smoke on the towpath from both coal and wood burners, especialy those people that simply scavange and burn anything they can find irrespective of how it burns. Most legislation is in place for the idiot faction. Having to enforce legislation against idiots who use a telephone whilst driving a car is a prime example.

11 hours ago, BWM said:

I've never been a fan of marinas, and that is another good reason to avoid them. I must admit, you must have quite a social life to have gatherings every day! 

No bonfire, you must be attending the boaters version of an AA meeting.

I hate marinas but have used them on a few occasions. By boat gatherings as I live aboard amongst other boaters many of which are friends thats the kind of boat gatherings I mean, its not like hobby boating where you meet other boaters on summer weekends for a barby, its just normal social life as I am sure you know ?

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Because your chimney is thirty feet in the air away from other house windows. Boats in marinas are six foot in the air at face level and often with other peoples vents only a few feet away for smoke to drift in to. Its not like houses or caravans honest mister ?

Surely it's the fact it's a stove DEFRA approved for wood burning in a smoke control area? Boat owners need to be more considerate when specifying their appliance being my point, at least when speccing a new boat or replacing an existing a stove.

If it was creating smoke it would still create smoke, when ours is alight there is no visible smoke at all and only a few wisps when first lighting it. (You do of course have to burn properly seasoned wood, which some boaters would seem to have a problem with).

Any smoke created would surely still appear no matter what length the chimney. There is no where else for it to go.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely. trouble is many people are in the I am alright Jack brigade. Over my many years as a liveaboard I have suffered horrendous smoke on the towpath from both coal and wood burners, especialy those people that simply scavange and burn anything they can find irrespective of how it burns. Most legislation is in place for the idiot faction. Having to enforce legislation against idiots who use a telephone whilst driving a car is a prime example.

On the money there.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I hate marinas but have used them on a few occasions. By boat gatherings as I live aboard amongst other boaters many of which are friends thats the kind of boat gatherings I mean, its not like hobby boating where you meet other boaters on summer weekends for a barby, its just normal social life as I am sure you know ?

I generally avoid marinas, we had to use one a few weeks back that made a refreshing change on the Nene, very friendly place but definitely the exception. One we passed just before arriving at the one mentioned was narrow boat specific, and the smoke hanging over it was nuts.

We used to have regular meet ups on the towpath and managed to have small bonfires, none causing offence but not so much these days, primarily due to the ignorant lighting pallet fires in the middle of the towpath and other similar idiocy. 

• Happy 1

53 minutes ago, MJG said:

Surely it's the fact it's a stove DEFRA approved for wood burning in a smoke control area? Boat owners need to be more considerate when specifying their appliance being my point, at least when speccing a new boat or replacing an existing a stove.

If it was creating smoke it would still create smoke, when ours is alight there is no visible smoke at all and only a few wisps when first lighting it. (You do of course have to burn properly seasoned wood, which some boaters would seem to have a problem with).

Any smoke created would surely still appear no matter what length the chimney. There is no where else for it to go.

You probably have a chimney the same height as mine, last week I removed the shove and swept the chimney, it wasn't too bad but as I wanted to do some more work we just stuffed a carrier bag into the chimney to stop the draft, we went to the boat and when we came back no bag, I looked up the chimney and no bag. we found it yesterday in the garden, even with no fire it had sucked all the way up the chimney and through the cowl at the top. Now just imagine a fire at the bottom as well and consider how much air that draws into the fire compared to the 12" imitation chimneys on the roofs of boats wit a total flue length of 5 feet. That is one of the reasons yours burns a lot cleaner and you cant see the smoke

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You probably have a chimney the same height as mine, last week I removed the shove and swept the chimney, it wasn't too bad but as I wanted to do some more work we just stuffed a carrier bag into the chimney to stop the draft, we went to the boat and when we came back no bag, I looked up the chimney and no bag. we found it yesterday in the garden, even with no fire it had sucked all the way up the chimney and through the cowl at the top. Now just imagine a fire at the bottom as well and consider how much air that draws into the fire compared to the 12" imitation chimneys on the roofs of boats wit a total flue length of 5 feet. That is one of the reasons yours burns a lot cleaner and you cant see the smoke

Houses and boats as in Chalk and cheese.

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same way coal mines used to be ventilated. A big bonfire kept burning at a strategic position underground drew fresh air through the mine and exhausted out through a high opening above ground.  Many an old miner had his Aldi carrier bag containing his lunch sucked from his hands and sent skywards.

Edited by bizzard

22 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes it's quite high (and not a thing of beauty either)

Flue.jpg

Edited by MJG