Alternator for JP2M

lpp1612

Featured Posts

Good morning

Could any member recommend an alternator I could use with my JP2m, I know very little about alternators, but because the engine is slow revving (max 1200), I've bee told not all alternators would be suitable. The existing one has no name on it or any technical details.

Thanks lpp2

2 hours ago, lpp1612 said:

Good morning

Could any member recommend an alternator I could use with my JP2m, I know very little about alternators, but because the engine is slow revving (max 1200), I've bee told not all alternators would be suitable. The existing one has no name on it or any technical details.

Thanks lpp2

A good #of units would be suitable providing the drive pulleys are sufficient to produce the revs in the alternators working range most times it's bigger pulley on engine & smallest  on alternator a member on the forum refurbs JP's he could iv"e no doubt advise

Hi,

I got a 95a marine alternator from ebay and drive it from the flywheel of our JP3. A normal 'v' belt runs fine on the flat flywheel surface with an ordinary 'v' pulley on the alternator. Have a look for previous threads about this, including the one I started last week about pulleys.

Simon

1 hour ago, flatplane8 said:

Hi,

I got a 95a marine alternator from ebay and drive it from the flywheel of our JP3. A normal 'v' belt runs fine on the flat flywheel surface with an ordinary 'v' pulley on the alternator. Have a look for previous threads about this, including the one I started last week about pulleys.

Simon

Yep this!! I would also add look for something that’s fitted to a common vehicle...I use a Lucas A127 70a unit. Was fitted to a lot of British cars eg Land Rover discovery etc. Still easy to source from most motor factors etc. Makes life easier when out boating and it fails. 

Is your existing one broken? If so It maybe worth  taking it to an auto electric repair shop to see if you can get it looked at.  If not they may have something refurbished they could offer and swap the pulley over and any mounting spacers if there are any.   I have a new Leece Neville alternator 115 amp  I got it as direct replacement for an 18yr old one that i already had after it was checked and written off.  It works well at around 250 rpm off the flywheel (jp3)

Edited by Capella247