Disecting a narrowboat

Heartland

Featured Posts

On 09/12/2018 at 16:37, David Mack said:

I heard on the towpath a couple of months ago that Baildon has been bought by the owners of a full length converted Big Woolwich motor, and the intention is to convert Baildon as a full length cabinned butty to provide more liveaboard accommodation. The RN out of Baildon is going into the motor to replace the non-authentic engine it currently has. But I can't be sure of the identity of the motor - it may be Bicester, but I could be wrong.

And my interest here is that Baildon was Belfast's original intended butty.

I did a few locks with Belfast coming back into London with Yeo, I believe it has an SR3 in it so would suit the engine swap theory. Lovely folks they were.

Oops just read the rest of the posts and the story became clear!

Edited by sparrowcycles

2 hours ago, sparrowcycles said:

I did a few locks with Belfast coming back into London with Yeo, I believe it has an SR3 in it so would suit the engine swap theory. Lovely folks they were.

Thanks!

Belfast has an ST3, and I don't have an RN to put in its place. ☹️ 

38 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Thanks!

Belfast has an ST3, and I don't have an RN to put in its place. ☹️ 

Ah it's you! Now I have a name to fit the boat! It was good to cruise with you. Having had both an sr3 and an st3 I should have remembered, the ST has way more power.

I remember a full length motor moored in Runcorn in about 1972,which had a masive dent in the middle of one side. At the time the boat was being used,I believe, by a church youth group. The engine was a petrol /parafin unit.The conversion used ex bus windows I think the boat may have been callel Edwardian Monarch at the time,but I dont recall if the name was painted on.

• 1 year later...

Hi I'm Alan Wilson the grandchild of Mr G and Mrs P Wilson the previous owner and converter of Baildon from a butty to a family holiday boat which I have great memories of as a child. 

I'd love to keep in contact with the current owners and follow how the build goes. If someone could tell me who is the current owner and some pictures would be great. 

I remember when Baildon was re bottomed back in the late 90s and if I remember rightly it was in Warwick somewhere. 

As a child I had great and wet times on Baildon, good old British weather. 

Any information would be great

Thanks 

Alan