Bilge pollution

BWM

Featured Posts

I was saddened to see this slick left by a departing boat a couple of days ago, i don't believe the boat in the picture had anything to do with this. 

How some people think this is acceptable escapes me. 

20181206_150932.jpg

It's a shame, much more common in London when we were based there. Doesn't take a lot of effort to pump into a tub, even if that is poured onto adjacent soil - not an ideal solution but less damaging to the aquatic environment. 

If this is where I think it is on the Shroppie at Brewood, then the natural movement of the water could well mean the boat in the picture is to blame. There seems to be a clear patch at the bow, and as this boat will have a 'through bilge' without bulkheads, there is plenty of rain catchment area.

7 hours ago, BWM said:

I was saddened to see this slick left by a departing boat a couple of days ago, i don't believe the boat in the picture had anything to do with this. 

How some people think this is acceptable escapes me. 

?

This really saddens me too; I would like to think it was an accident but the reality is that far too many people are quite selfish and just don't care. ?

Accident or not the damage is done. Will there be something done to 'mop' it up or will it just be left to disperse on its own? 

Just now, Tumshie said:

?

This really saddens me too; I would like to think it was an accident but the reality is that far too many people are quite selfish and just don't care. ?

Accident or not the damage is done. Will there be something done to 'mop' it up or will it just be left to disperse on its own? 

They normally just leave it Tumshie?.

6 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Yep it is, we use to have two swans where I am but after someone lost all their diesel from a rotten rudder tube they disappeared literally overnight.?

Hopefully they didn't get dirty just swam away. 

But still, gone is gone when you liked having them around your boat. 

9 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

Actually it disappears within 24 hours  because bacteria in the water eat it.

Seriously - you mean gone like it was never there gone or dispersed as in broken down and spread out gone?

34 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

It's surprising how many people have inches of water in their engine bays and think it's normal.

My neighbour turns her bilge pump on every night for a few minutes leaving an oil slick for the morning.

Without swearing it's fkin not on.

It's impossible not to have inches of water in my engine bay, cruiser stern with deckboards and the rain can't be kept out of it. Over winter I try to keep the stern covered as much as possible, but it's just the nature of it. 

Forty years ago, no one gave a second thought to pumping it straight into the cut. 

PS is that true about the bacteria eating it? 

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's impossible not to have inches of water in my engine bay, cruiser stern with deckboards and the rain can't be kept out of it. Over winter I try to keep the stern covered as much as possible, but it's just the nature of it. 

Forty years ago, no one gave a second thought to pumping it straight into the cut. 

I have a stern cruiser too.

There should be a drip tray beneath both engine and gearbox. If rain filters through into it on a cruiser stern boat it can overflow oil into the bilge where the bilge pump is and then pumped overboard. The drip trays need to be emptied regularly into cans. A bit of grease from the stern gland may be ejected overboard by the binge pump but only a very minimal amount.

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

So it is gone like it was never there - well that's interesting. 

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

There should be a drip tray beneath both engine and gearbox. If rain filters through into it on a cruiser stern boat it can overflow oil into the bilge where the bilge pump is and then pumped overboard. The drip trays need to be emptied regularly into cans. A bit of grease from the stern gland may be ejected overboard by the binge pump but only a very minimal amount.

That's what I do mr biz but I always spill it trying to get the ice cream tub from under the drive shaft.

Arr bugger...everytime

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

So it is gone like it was never there - well that's interesting. 

I've never heard that before and it sounds a little bit like someone trying to justify letting diesel and oil get into the canal. If it is true then I have learned something today 

Haggis 

• Greenie 1

Inches of water in the bilge is NOT A PROBLEM provided it stays below the engine rip tray level. It will be clean or muddy water that is perfectly safe to pump out with the bulge pump. However when I see a boat with inches of water in the drip tray I cringe. It will not take a lot more water to overflow the oil into the bilge and then is a horrible job to clean it all up so you can pump it out. A combination of oil absorbent pads and disposable nappies keeps my engine tray more or less clear of oil, fuel and water. If I get an accidental spill of oil or fuel into the bilge it won't be a a lot and a rolled up absorbent mat deals with it over a few days so you can pump out again.

There is no excuse for such incidents as shown above even if it is a leaky cruiser stern like mine.

• Greenie 1

I remember mooring up once, the canal stunk of raw diesel so I checked my fuel gauge inside and it showed nothing in the tank (panic and phone calls).

I dipped the tank and it showed full, me thinking bugger it's full of water, anyway in the end I found the sender fuel electric thingy mebob had tripped a switch on my switch board.

That was a scary.

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

I've never heard that before and it sounds a little bit like someone trying to justify letting diesel and oil get into the canal. If it is true then I have learned something today 

Haggis 

Well yes, quite. My knee jerk reaction is just that too, but then I can't say I really know for certain or have reason to doubt the above posters. 

Shoreline Response Considerations

Diesel oil is not very sticky or viscous, compared to black oils. When small spills do strand on the shoreline, the oil tends to penetrate porous sediments quickly but also tend to be washed off quickly by waves and tidal flushing. Thus, shoreline cleanup is usually not needed.

Diesel oil is readily and completely degraded by naturally occurring microbes, under time frames of one to two months.

Effects on Wildlife and Plants

In terms of toxicity to water-column organisms, diesel is considered to be one of the most acutely toxic oil types. Fish, invertebrates, and seaweed that come in direct contact with a diesel spill may be killed. However, small spills in open water are so rapidly diluted that fish kills have never been reported. Fish kills have been reported for small spills in confined, shallow water.

https://response.restoration.noaa.gov/oil-and-chemical-spills/oil-spills/resources/small-diesel-spills.html

my bolds