Featured Posts

Boat out of the water now till April 

sr2 been advised to take the air filter off 

and squirt some wd40 down the pipe 

and then when start time comes 

hand crank her for a couple of minutes 

then use the starter motor 

is this the correct procedures 

For the last 8 years we have laid our lister up for between 6 to 9 months.

our procedure.

change oil and filters

good hot run (smoke it)

cover air filter with carrier bag

spray starter connections with wd 40

egg cup of fresh oil over rocker gear.

solar panel on start battery

turn engine to all valves closed

on return

egg cup full of oil down rocker gear

wind engine until oil pressure shows with decompressors off

drop compressors and start normally.

give traditional lister incantation of choice ( optional)

its been rough a couple of times but 

not had a problem yet...

IMHO,you are better to run the motor on engine oil as fuel for ten minutes,then stop from idle with the valve lifters..........WD40 is a water dispersant silicone spray........pretty useless for preventing rust.........a thick oil is much better............The biggest risk with laid up motors is fuel pump units sticking......................if you know what youre doing,not hard to free................but if you dont you re looking at expensive pump shop work.

My BMC 1.8D sits lonely from November to April. I do nothing special other than ensure that there is no water in the fuel, the antifreeze is up to strength and the oil is clean.

I start it up without waiting for the heaters so it cranks for a few seconds, let it tick over until the oil pressure is up, lift the revs to get the alternator excited, that's it.

Only once in the last 13 years have I thought there was a problem. It started a bit rough due to a sticking exhaust valve not sealing but within a few second it was fine.

All this is true.....probably depends on how much you re engine cost............for instance the 4LW in my crane sat for 15 years in the weather with no precautions,needed the pump freed ,and started no problem.........but the whole crane only cost scrap price ..$50 a ton at the time.... now if I paid a collectors price,and polished the motor every day.....I might be worried.....................so diesel motors are a bit tougher than you think.........................its more important to stop the injector pump from sticking.

Listers have a pump per cylinder not a rotary, i would be suprised if they can stick, but i am no engineer.

i would never stop the engine on the decompressors myself unless it was running away. Ours is set to go ‘ out’ if the speedwheel is wound right in. An old habit from when under the bss you had to have a remote engine stop.

The whole point of the exercise is to spray oil into the cylinders...............I am not advocating stopping with the lifter as a practice.........in fact ,if you stop with the lifters ,you will fill your oil with diesel,as the governor delivers full fuel .........................

On 10/12/2018 at 00:12, OldGoat said:

Umm - on an SR2 (and other SR/ ST Listers) there is an excess fuel / stop 'lever' - well there is on mine - just turn it to the off position and the engine stops ?? 

So does the ha but back in the early days of bss you had to be able to stop the engine from the steering position, that and the bloody silly external fuel filler reg that came in for a while caused silly mods to old boats. Fortunately both were changed.