sterling engine

sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mark99 said:

Bearings. Swerve to engineering  detail instead of scientific fundament.

Quite. 

It isn't bearing friction that prevents a low delta T Stirling engine poking out loads of power, its lack of energy available from the power source!

Far better to do some basic sums and prove the concept can work rather than spend time, effort and money to build it an find out it doesn't.

42 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Bearings. Swerve to engineering  detail instead of scientific fundament.

Indeed. LTD (Low Temperature Differential) Stirling engines have to be absolutely huge in order to generate even small amounts of energy. One example I’ve seen suggested that “The size must be quite large even for 100 watts. Figuring a MEP of 2.5 to 3.5 psi, a displacer bore of 60", a power piston of 12" and 12" stroke, you might see 1 i.h.p. at 90 rpm after loses, you may harvest a third of that in electrical wattage”. So that’s maybe 250W for a 5 ft diameter displacer bore. 

In theory. 

2 hours ago, sailor mcgee said:

a larger one can generate up to 150 kilovolts

An LTD Stirling engine?

On a narrowboat?

At what current?

Voltage means nothing. A Van de Graaf generator can easily generate over 100kV but it wouldn’t power much...

10 minutes ago, WotEver said:

An LTD Stirling engine?

On a narrowboat?

At what current?

Voltage means nothing. A Van de Graaf generator can easily generate over 100kV but it wouldn’t power much...

Oh I dunno. I think a Van de Graaf generator can generate enough power to make your hair stand on end...

• Happy 1

4 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thank you Tumshie,but I don't know how to transfer the Wikipedia text to CWF. In other words how to get the little blue writing onto my post.

Just paste the text from the address bar into the reply box.  The forum software will recognise it as a link and make it one.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just paste the text from the address bar into the reply box.  The forum software will recognise it as a link and make it one.

Thank you. I am quite computer illiterate, gimme a box of spanners and an engine anyday.

6 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thank you Tumshie,but I don't know how to transfer the Wikipedia text to CWF. In other words how to get the little blue writing onto my post.

If I have the Wikipedia page open I right click (if using my laptop) or press and hold (if using my iPad) the search bar at the top of the page, it will then offer you the option to copy the link that is now highlighted in the search bar, click copy. You then go back to the post where you want to place the post and click where you want it to be placed, right click or press and hold will then offer you the potion to paste, click paste and hay presto Link. :D

I hope that's not as clear as mud. :huh:

13 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Thank you. I am quite computer illiterate, gimme a box of spanners and an engine anyday.

Unfortunately computers have become a necessary evil - the government keeps asking me to fill out more and more forms and they don't seem to be able to read my hand writing any more. :rolleyes:

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that anything to do with the URL field

:giggles:

Yes kinda :blush:

ETA It may be a muddy field though. 

Edited by Tumshie

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Curiously erotic, innit!

Yes. If you construct your own hot air engine you can enter it in the Model Engineer competition. You design one to run from the heat of a single nightlight candle, they seem to call them Tea lights these days. The original night lights, Wrights, can't remember, ran for precisely 8 hours, thes are the wuns to use for the competitition. The one that develops the leest continuous powder over that period is the worst looser.  Escuese any mysteaks, am writing this by the light of a tea light.

Whilst this is a fascinating idea, my boat is currently powered by a nuclear fusion reactor made from washing up liquid bottles and some sticky backed plastic following a traditional Blue Peter design.  I'm disappointed it's not recyclable,  but otherwise I think it shades this Sterling engine project. I'll be more interested when the OP rolls out the plans for her Perpetual Motion Engine...

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Whilst this is a fascinating idea, my boat is currently powered by a nuclear fusion reactor made from washing up liquid bottles and some sticky backed plastic following a traditional Blue Peter design.  I'm disappointed it's not recyclable,  but otherwise I think it shades this Sterling engine project. I'll be more interested when the OP rolls out the plans for her Perpetual Motion Engine...

You are not thinking this through - simply drive the Stirling engine off an electric hotplate.

The engine runs hotter making enough power to allow you to turn the hotplate up so the engine runs hotter making enough power to allow you to turn the hotplate up so the engine runs hotter.

Oops! Thermal runaway on aisle three!