Mooring on own land, if sssi land

TCP

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes. Them steam locos cost SERIOUS munny to run.

That railway bin there since I was a child in 1899 BC.

Are you 121 years old Mike?

Ignore me, to be honest I am glad I was born in this age where we can still visit and appreciate real engineering.

Now even Aborists are using electric chainsaws.

A time lost for good.

2 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Are you 121 years old Mike?

What ever he tries to tell you the answer is yes. Yes. 

4 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Now even Aborists are using electric chainsaws.

I got one to use in the town so I don't terrorise my elderly neighbours - it's a bit quieter but it feels like a toy and I'm a bit scared to ask too much of it. ?

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I got one to use in the town so I don't terrorise my elderly neighbours - it's a bit quieter but it feels like a toy and I'm a bit scared to ask too much of it. ?

Are you a siko too ?

Pm me anytime we can go all zombie..

Seriously though I know what you mean, I have a petrol chainsaw and the noise and brutality of it keeps me safe, with an electric chainsaw the fear and danger is masked.

They are killers for sure Tumshie.

Ow yer don't go into Boots or Superdrug with one..... lol (they are quite picky like that)

1 minute ago, Greyladyx said:

Seriously though I know what you mean, I have a petrol chainsaw and the noise and brutality of it keeps me safe, with an electric chainsaw the fear and danger is masked.

I don't feel as comfortable with the electric one that's for certain, it is much less powerful. But it was just a cheap one so maybe that's why. ?

3 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I don't feel as comfortable with the electric one that's for certain, it is much less powerful. But it was just a cheap one so maybe that's why. ?

Lol my husqvana was prolly cheaper than yours.

Ahhh shit everyone knows am a novice now.

Haha:hug:

Edited by Greyladyx

1 minute ago, Greyladyx said:

Lol my husqvana was prolly cheaper than yours.

Ahhh shit everyone knows am a novice now.

Haha:hug:

You my darling are in the arena and daring greatly - and that is what matters - and no one will ever tell you other wise. 

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7-it-is-not-the-critic-who-counts-not-the-man

• Love 1

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

You my darling are in the arena and daring greatly - and that is what matters - and no one will ever tell you other wise. 

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/7-it-is-not-the-critic-who-counts-not-the-man

I read x

I think that's someone else lol

But thankyou Tumshie.

I am a keep ya head down kinda person in real life (guess we aĺl are)

Don't come across nice people often.

Kinda sift the wheat from the dog turds, sometimes all you see is sh-t in the pan staring at you.

Hehe got a laugh Tumshie xxx

Chat soon

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There is a BRILLIANT power station there, AND a narrer gauge railway!!

A trip on the RH&D railway was a regular birthday treat for our boy when he was little (it's very close to where I'm back living now in Ashford)

There's also a fantastic fish & chip pub called the Pilot in Dungeness not far from the power station - the fish are huge!

56 minutes ago, Ange said:

There's also a fantastic fish & chip pub called the Pilot in Dungeness not far from the power station - the fish are huge!

Well I suppose they would be wouldn't they?

I hear the fish there also have fingers, is this true? :giggles:

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well I suppose they would be wouldn't they?

I hear the fish there also have fingers, is this true? :giggles:

never studied them cos they were yum ☺️

Wouldn't surprise me though ☺️

3 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Well being born in 1899 BC would actually make me 3,917 years old surely?

Or would that be 3,918? Depends if there was a year 'zero' or not. Did they jump straight from 1BC to 1AD....?

Still not as old as that troublemaker Tumshie though ... :P

9 hours ago, Tumshie said:

Electric chainsaws are the future, lighter, instant power, quieter and no breathing I  the fairly unpleasant fumes.

Although I do admit to liking the noise and fumes 

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

Electric chainsaws are the future, lighter, instant power, quieter and no breathing I  the fairly unpleasant fumes.

Although I do admit to liking the noise and fumes 

I have a really cheap one and I can really feel the difference, you couldn't use mine for your work - it would take you about 6 times as long as normal. :giggles: But I do see no reason why they can't be made to do the job of work necessary.

It does alright for what I ask of it but I bought it for the noise factor. There are a lot of frailer older people around me and they get a bit rattled by noise sometimes. 

I also really love the smell of a 'proper' chainsaw - it is for me the best smell in the world ever. :wub: 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Still not as old as that troublemaker Tumshie though ... :P

:giggles:

• Happy 1

44 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I also really love the smell of a 'proper' chainsaw - it is for me the best smell in the world ever. :wub: 

:giggles:

Yeah, the whole job, the smells, the noise and occasional fear, its a very visceral job.

I do miss being on the tools but as I am old and knackered and people seem happy to pay me more to point and shake my head who am I to say no

:)

• Greenie 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

I do miss being on the tools but as I am old and knackered and people seem happy to pay me more to point and shake my head who am I to say no

:)

It does take its toll - more than a lot of people realise. But there is some thing very satisfying about a good day's graft too. :)

I'm not quite in your field but similar and I now find my self using the term 'horse and shot' more and more. ?

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

I have a really cheap one and I can really feel the difference, you couldn't use mine for your work - it would take you about 6 times as long as normal. 

It's normally the chain that lets down cheap chainsaws, either petrol or electric.  Put a decent chain on your electric saw and touch it up with a needle file every time you use it, and I think you will think it's a different beastie.

Aldi own brand chainsaw accessories are Oregon chain, so if they are the correct size for your saw you can get a couple of premade chains for about a tenner each.

I'm a great fan of electric chainsaws - silent when not running, quieter when running, no fumes, no cursing a damn two-stroke that won't start 'cos it hasn't been used for 6 months, cheaper to run, stops instantly when you release the trigger.

Naff all use if you are miles from a plug socket, but great otherwise.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's normally the chain that lets down cheap chainsaws, either petrol or electric.  Put a decent chain on your electric saw and touch it up with a needle file every time you use it, and I think you will think it's a different beastie.

Aldi own brand chainsaw accessories are Oregon chain, so if they are the correct size for your saw you can get a couple of premade chains for about a tenner each.

I'm a great fan of electric chainsaws - silent when not running, quieter when running, no fumes, no cursing a damn two-stroke that won't start 'cos it hasn't been used for 6 months, cheaper to run, stops instantly when you release the trigger.

The big problem with the Aldi saw was/is bar length, far to large for the engine size and made it tip heavy.

Swap bar and chain and it's a reasonable part time logging saw.

Have a look at the pro battery saws no cord to worry about

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Just like my boat engines.

:clapping:

Thank you Alan.  I think you knew what I meant though - when the *chain* is not running.

Unless you have that fuel saving auto-stop fitted to your boat - engine stops every time you engage neutral.  My old boat did that until I adjusted the idle speed.  :D

9 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The big problem with the Aldi saw was/is bar length, far to large for the engine size and made it tip heavy.

Swap bar and chain and it's a reasonable part time logging saw.

Have a look at the pro battery saws no cord to worry about

I don't have the Aldi saw so I can't comment on that - I have Lidl's old electric one which has a reasonable balance on it if you remember to chuck the cord over your shoulder and don't stand on the wire ...

Battery ones make excellent sense, but are not cost effective if you can log next to a mains socket.  The 2.2 kW electric motor can make the inverter cry a bit on startup, so they are not for everyone, but that's roughly the power you get from a 50cc two-stroke.

52 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The chain on mine (an Oregon) isn't too bad, it sharpens well and holds an edge quite well. I used it to take down a 25/30 foot conifer that was rather 'complicated' and while it was a bit more than it would normally like it did ok with some rests to cool off, it's short bar and light weight made it easy to manoeuvre round the conifer's seething mass but it could have done with a bit more grunt - that is really the only thing it's lacking is a little grunt. But it's fine for snedding and general domestic use. 

Edited by Tumshie

my only experience of electric chainsaws was one bought from screwfix,

it had been used for about an hour from new and had worn out one side of the bar (so it tried to cut a curve and then jammed)

a quick comparison showed it had the same length bar as my normal saw and weighed about the same but only had a quarter of the number of teeth on the chain

I lent the guy my battered husqvarna and taught him how to start it, pump once, choke on, pull (splutters a bit) - choke off, pull twice - running

the next day he returned the electric one and bought the same saw as I use

16 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

it had been used for about an hour from new and had worn out one side of the bar (so it tried to cut a curve and then jammed)

a quick comparison showed it had the same length bar as my normal saw and weighed about the same but only had a quarter of the number of teeth on the chain

Mine's not the shortest bar available but it it's also quite thin a bit like a tree surgeon might use (sort of), it is much lighter though. When I first started using it I did worry that it's lack of grunt might cause it to stutter but so far so good it's chomped away like a good 'in. And it only cost me £40. :D