Morse Cable Query

Featured Posts

One for the mechanical gurus on here.  

I have a standard Morse control on my Beta 43.  As part of my general fiddling around (not described for fear of inviting derision) I would like to be also able to vary the throttle (but not the gearbox) by an additional 2nd cable to the engine from another point in the boat.   As I understand it, this is not a simple addition as the movement of the 2nd cable would attempt to move the 1st cable and the Morse control unit would make this difficult or impossible.  Is there a standard linkage "box" that I can fit to the engine end that would make fitting a 2nd cable easy and reliable and if so, under what terms could I search for it on Google? 

Not sure what you are trying to do do, but many morse levers allow an auxiliary lever to be connected to them.

Assuming all you want is a remote throttle control for use when running the engine when moored (charging batteries etc) just don't connect the remote gear cable.

Yes it can be (easily) done.

Many GRP cruisers have a 'twin-helm' position.

You need a 2-into-4 adapter so that whichever gear/throttle you use activates the gear/accelerator on the engine.

You do need to ensure that whichever one you use is 'centralised' (disengaged) before the other one is move/used.

You cannot use both at once.

Have a look in the Vetus catalogue www.vetus.com Page 56 for dual station engine controls and page 178 for dual station steering systems. Page numbers from catalogue so might be slightly different on line.

Edit to add

This :

DS_4.jpg

https://www.vetus.com/en/vetus-dual-station-unit-type-ds-for-gearbox.html

This unit combines the action of the single lever control from either of two command stations and provides a single output to the gearbox lever. Per engine two dual station units are needed, one for the gearbox (type DS) and one for throttle (type DSKITF).

You will also need an additional 'Morse' unit at your 2nd helm + cables.

Edited by Alan de Enfield