ice

sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, cuthound said:

But is that because the ice holds them above the surface until it thaws? ?

This used to happen to us on the Broads, we moored in a 60ft x 15ft dyke cut at 90deg to the river and on occasion the ice would hold us up as the tide went out. Hell of a splash when the ice let go, didn't half make you jump. 

Phil

Edited by Phil Ambrose

10 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

This used to happen to us on the Broads, we moored in a 60ft x 15ft dyke cut at 90deg to the river and on occasion the ice would hold us up as the tide went out. Hell of a splash when the ice let go, didn't half make you jump. 

Phil

We had this in 2010. There was a problem with the sluices at Stamp End Lock and they drained quite a bit of water out of the Fossdyke by accident. The ice was very thick at the time and held the boats suspended until the weight was just too much and it all gave way. Went with a hell of a bang. We were in bed at the time and felt the boat drop. Was really quite scary at the time.

11 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

The ducks in the Maud Foster drain in Boston would all congregate under the Vauxhall Road bridge which was the last place to freeze , they all kept on the move to keep it free. The noise of them all quacking was deafening

Phil

The area in front of our berth is one of the last places to freeze and first to thaw in our marina. We can tell without getting up if the lakes are starting to freeze as all of the water fowl start to gather and squabble in that one spot :rolleyes:

• Greenie 1

Almost 20 years ago we had a mooring at the west end of the Foulridge tunnel. The water in the tunnel and for 20 yards or so outside of it was ice - free, the rest of the canal was frozen over. A small grp cruiser came out of the tunnel and rushed into the ice to try to break it to get to the water point at top lock. It didn't get very far and then suddenly started sinking. The thin, virgin ice had cut into the stem of the boat for about 10" at the waterline.

The occupants went to stand in the cockpit to to keep the slot above water whilst one of them nipped inside to rescue their personal belongings, TV etc and passed them out to us on the bank. I don't think they lived aboard because it was so small and when they had tied it up firmly to some trees they cleared off to get warm and dry,

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Here is Spey a wooden boat doing it

Good stuff!

Is that a genuine National milk tin stuffed into the top of the chimney or repro?

Ice breaking can be good fun but having had t'boat grit blasted and two packed this autumn I don't want to be doing any this winter.

On 11/12/2018 at 23:34, Victor Vectis said:

Good stuff!

Is that a genuine National milk tin stuffed into the top of the chimney or repro?

Ice breaking can be good fun but having had t'boat grit blasted and two packed this autumn I don't want to be doing any this winter.

Looks a bit long for for a milk tin could well  be one of the catering size fruit/veggie cans

We broke ice in Kate Snow's Baron all the way to London coming back from the Cosgrove Xmas meeting in 1985. By the time we got back to Broxbourne the ice has worn away rivet heads in the bow and the bilges needed pumping hourly. Then the boatyard who were fixing it forgot to keep the pumps on one night at Whitsun in 1986 and it sank in eight feet of water with all their possessions on board... ?

There was a bit of a reason the modified gucc icebreakers had a bloody great ram and reinforcing on their bows. We used to keep the bow as high as possible if ivebreaking so the stem iron copped the damage, or better still follow a modern hero.

mind towing a butty and icebreaking at the same time took hours. I remember following pete thompson from little venice to cowley one year , it was fine on the straight but on bends we went everywhere, cant turn 140 feet where 57 had been.

21 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

There was a bit of a reason the modified gucc icebreakers had a bloody great ram and reinforcing on their bows.

And yet posters on here repeatedly tell us that blacking isn't damaged by breaking ice.

The Ministry of War Transport could have saved a lot of precious wartime steel when they converted those boats to ice breakers.

They didn't need an extra 5 foot  long ice ram after all, nor even the doubling up of all the plate in the bows.  A couple of coats of thick blacking should have been sufficient!

Edited by alan_fincher

On 11/12/2018 at 18:28, ditchcrawler said:

I was looking for the vireo of Victoria ice breaking.

Here is Spey a wooden boat doing it

That was a really interesting video.

Those blokes must have been shattered by the end of their journey.

Thank you - and to all who posted videos and piccies  :)

Edited by Tumshie
  • Greenie 1

On 08/12/2018 at 00:39, Mike the Boilerman said:

Far canal, 

Ha ha. Reminds me of when I worked at Smithfield Market Post Office in the late 70s. We only had one position (out of four) that did passports etc so if anyone was unfortunate enough to have joined the wrong queue we used to delight in saying "Far queue" to them when they got to the front of the wrong queue.

Such fun!

Happy daze.

• Greenie 1

On 14/12/2018 at 13:17, Lily Rose said:

Ha ha. Reminds me of when I worked at Smithfield Market Post Office in the late 70s. We only had one position (out of four) that did passports etc so if anyone was unfortunate enough to have joined the wrong queue we used to delight in saying "Far queue" to them when they got to the front of the wrong queue.

Such fun!

Happy daze.

and being a monopoly service provider nobody bothered to put a notice above the window to let people know which queue.