ice

sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Detling said:

please don't pass me in ice that thick, seriously though yogurt pots are much more vulnerable to damage by ice than narrowboats.

But are they? That’s often quoted but I’ve yet to hear of one sunk by a moving sheet of ice. 

• Greenie 3

5 minutes ago, WotEver said:

But are they? That’s often quoted but I’ve yet to hear of one sunk by a moving sheet of ice. 

I think it is another over sensitive modern reaction, there are plenty of pictures of working craft breaking ice throughout the 50's/60's and cruisers, both wooden and grp were common on the system even then.

• Greenie 1

Aaaaah - shades of my youth -

Lyons Maid family brick,

comes in four varieties,

sweeter, smoother, richer,

and only one and six -

Lyons Maid family brick...

Made in Cadby Hall (next to Olympia) 'ammersmith Lunnon, home of Bertram Mills Circus - both now long gone.

Lyons pioneered not only early computers (Leo made by English Electric), but also mark sensing used on their van fleet order system.

Happy days....

7 hours ago, Detling said:

please don't pass me in ice that thick, seriously though yogurt pots are much more vulnerable to damage by ice than narrowboats.

46 minutes ago, WotEver said:

36 minutes ago, BWM said:

I think it is another over sensitive modern reaction, there are plenty of pictures of working craft breaking ice throughout the 50's/60's and cruisers, both wooden and grp were common on the system even then.

If concerned about the fragility of your boat, it's a ood idea to hang ice boards alongside it if you are worried.

Don't expect CRT not to go past if there's ice.

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, Detling said:

Complete nonsense again about GRP boats, every year once it gets cold all this old tosh is trotted out. We lived on a 40x12 Broads cruiser  for 10 years and never had any problem going ice breaking. Also once a week I would go for gas or diesel in a 12x6 dinghy, constructed from marine ply,  she would ride up onto the ice and break it, the only issue I ever had was when a large chunk of ice got caught between the O/B leg and the transom, not a problem to shift it

Phil

• Greenie 1

There are grp hulls and grp hulls. Of course the broads cruiser could cope with ice, the hull was probably about half an inch think or more. On the other hand I have worked on small two berth cruisers where you could see the sunlight reflecting of the water ripples right through the hull. I very much doubt those would get away unscathed by ice sheets being pushed into the hull, especially if they were frozen sold as an unoccupied boat may be.

I also know of a sturdily clinker built whaler type boat the sunk having hit ice in a Thames lock cut. I think blithely saying breaking  ice will not damage GRP or in fact any other type of boat is irresponsible. If I had a GRP boat apart from a Broads cruiser that I moored online I would certainly deploy ice boards when harsh weather was forecast.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

There are grp hulls and grp hulls. Of course the broads cruiser could cope with ice, the hull was probably about half an inch think or more. On the other hand I have worked on small two berth cruisers where you could see the sunlight reflecting of the water ripples right through the hull. I very much doubt those would get away unscathed by ice sheets being pushed into the hull, especially if they were frozen sold as an unoccupied boat may be.

I also know of a sturdily clinker built whaler type boat the sunk having hit ice in a Thames lock cut. I think blithely saying breaking  ice will not damage GRP or in fact any other type of boat is irresponsible. If I had a GRP boat apart from a Broads cruiser that I moored online I would certainly deploy ice boards when harsh weather was forecast.

Being as breaking ice has always been a normal activity on the canals I'd suggest that craft used on there should be fit for purpose, rather than all other users having to modify their behaviour. Your suggestion of ice boards is a sensible compromise. 

• Greenie 2

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

I've seen one sunk last winter by a narrowboat breaking ice, it was an abandoned boat so not sure if the hull was in good condition.

Crt left it their sunk for 4 months with just the top of the windows showing.

4 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

I've seen one sunk last winter by a narrowboat breaking ice, it was an abandoned boat so not sure if the hull was in good condition.

Crt left it their sunk for 4 months with just the top of the windows showing.

You actually witnessed the sinking or just heard it was sunk due to being struck by ice?

Phil

• Greenie 2

On the matter of a narrowboat cutting through ice and sinking a fibreglass boat, I actually witnessed it happen back in the 1960's. A single working boat approached Uxbridge Lock where there were a number of boats moored above the lock. The large sheets of broken ice were forced sliding on top of the ice alongside the moored boats, cutting one of them in half. It sank within less than a minute. I could still name the boat and the steerer, but will refrain.

Edited by David Schweizer

On 09/12/2018 at 08:03, Tony Brooks said:

Well they must "get away" with ice being pushed against them given the complete lack of sunk cruisers every time the canal freezes over!

Last time we took NC out ice breaking it was the steel boats complaining that we would damage their boats!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

We were breaking ice a few years back when we came across a pair of swans frantically swimming round in circled to keep an area about 20ft across as liquid. They couldn't escape from this circle (couldn't climb out and couldn't achieve takeoff speed) and if we had carried on there was the risk that the sliding sheets of ice would cause them serious injury. We backed up and instead steered directly towards them despite their obvious panic, which opened a path through the ice into their circle, and then backed off and returned to our original track past them. They swam out of their circle, along the opening we had made, to emerge behind us and swim away in the direction from which we had come.

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

We were breaking ice a few years back when we came across a pair of swans frantically swimming round in circled to keep an area about 20ft across as liquid. They couldn't escape from this circle (couldn't climb out and couldn't achieve takeoff speed) and if we had carried on there was the risk that the sliding sheets of ice would cause them serious injury. We backed up and instead steered directly towards them despite their obvious panic, which opened a path through the ice into their circle, and then backed off and returned to our original track past them. They swam out of their circle, along the opening we had made, to emerge behind us and swim away in the direction from which we had come.

The ducks in the Maud Foster drain in Boston would all congregate under the Vauxhall Road bridge which was the last place to freeze , they all kept on the move to keep it free. The noise of them all quacking was deafening

Phil