ice

sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, sailor mcgee said:

is it allowed to have a weird bow so as to break ice? the bow using its weight  to crash down on the ice and crack it that way?

I sat on a choc-ice once and it squashed it alright.

Just now, sailor mcgee said:

being serious, and im not joking here, do crt allow icebreaking?

1 minute ago, sailor mcgee said:

being serious, and im not joking here, do crt allow icebreaking?

I think so, I've done it a few times.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Far canal, I'd forgotten about thems!

Got them mainly in the cinema, watching stuff like Mary Poppins or, err... Jingle Book?

I think they were Lionsmade, don't think Walls did them.

Around Ilford there was an ice lolly firm called Dicky Birds they made delicious cream lollies called Glow Joys, chocolate, strawberry, lemon, banana and a blue mint one, all 3d each, they're van used to come round too.   On Sundays we'd buy a Lionsmade rum and raisin family brick.

Edited by bizzard

BRILLIANT.

Round my way we had an Italian family who made and flogged their own ice cream. Made in the back of their shop in Chertsey. Unlike Walls and Lyonsmaid it was paper white in colour rather than creamy yellow and tasted bloody fantastic in comparison. Twice the price though so we only ever had it as a Big Treat. 

Never found out their recipe.

Any ideas???

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

BRILLIANT.

Round my way we had an Italian family who made and flogged their own ice cream. Made in the back of their shop in Chertsey. Unlike Walls and Lyonsmaid it was paper white in colour rather than creamy yellow and tasted bloody fantastic in comparison. Twice the price though so we only ever had it as a Big Treat. 

Never found out their recipe.

Any ideas???

Bleach?  weren't a relative of Rossi were they. Rossi's were big in Southend.

Sigh... Drink Irn-Bru for the hangover ?

To get back on topic: yes, ice breaking is allowed and there are still a few of the old purpose built ice breakers around. Surprisingly, not, there are varied views about the risk to your boat of breaking ice. It will certainly scratch the blacking off the bow waterline and may stress the drive train because of repeated rapid decelerations as you hit the ice. Steering gets very tricky as the boat will be reluctant to turn.

Be very careful when reversing in ice – stay well out of the tiller arc as the rudder can be slammed across very suddenly by an ice floe.

HTH.

24 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

To get back on topic: yes, ice breaking is allowed and...

... it will scrape off the blacking around your waterline!

It will also pee off folk in moored boats that you pass as they believe that the shards of ice you send winging into their hull also damages their blacking.  Not everyone agrees it does, but it is true that ice breaking is thought by many to be inconsiderate. Many of those might be prepared to forgive the coal boat though, eh?  :)

However, the canals are not currently frozen, the OP is apparently not in the UK and doesn't currently have a boat, so the question sits rather oddly. The ice cream discussion is far more conducive to Forum harmony I'd suggest.

I'm sure we all remember the Glasgow Ice Cream wars ?

I was working in Glasgow at the time - all very exciting.

The Ice Cream Wars was a turf war in the East End of Glasgow, in Scotland, in the 1980s between rival criminal organisations selling drugs and stolen goods from ice cream vans. Van operators were involved in frequent violence and intimidation tactics.

We had to bring our boat through ice when we had it delivered to Grangemouth. 

From the Kelpies to the Falkirk Wheel wasn't too bad, but up on the Union Canal we came across a variety of ice thickness. 

Taking slowly and allowing for the fact that the bow does not swing round as it usually does is what we found. 

Checking the water line much later on showed minimal loss of blacking. 

Perhaps we were lucky.