sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, sailor mcgee said:

(im the great great great great.... great grand child of william wilberforce)

Are you really?

I was brought up in Hull, Wilberforce's home town and Parliamentary constituency where he is still held in high regard.

There is a slave museum close to the Hull docks that bears his name. {Wilberforce House] and visiting it is a sobering experience.

He had six kids,so perhaps one or more of his descendants moved to Sweden. 

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Yes, and my diesel was in litres..........................damn these EU regulations!?

George

I bought fifty quids worth of diesel from the fule bote and asked if I could have it in gallons. 

He said no. 

It's just gone above 37 degrees here, except they're fahrenheit ones rather than centigrade.

Does no one use reaumur any more? Rather endearingly, its upper scale went only as far as the boiling point of alcohol.

No the van is an adjunct to the bikes , instead of riding everywhere , now in our dotage we drive to the interesting bits and ride. However the van is on borrowed time like most of the things we ‘own’ . One day there will be a big bang , followed by the logistics of getting 3 bikes a tandem and our crap back home.

21 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

No the van is an adjunct to the bikes , instead of riding everywhere , now in our dotage we drive to the interesting bits and ride. However the van is on borrowed time like most of the things we ‘own’ . One day there will be a big bang , followed by the logistics of getting 3 bikes a tandem and our crap back home.

I knew that really, I posted that as a joke. 

I have enormous admiration for your sheer energy with so much bike riding. Riding my own bike back from Braunston to Sutton Stop along the flat towpath later today seems a bit of a mountain to me, here. I have blagged a lift. Probably!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Riding my own bike back from Braunston to Sutton Stop along the flat towpath later today seems a bit of a mountain to me, 

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Count your blessings: you could be cycling up the Caen Hill Floight.

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

O' you are a tease - the one in Wiltshire is the Caen Hill Flight

I was referring to the local pronunciation. Our last boat was built by Devizes Narrowboat Builders, who were very much local lads, and the vowel sound came out as "oi" when they said it. Obviously you haven't visited the area and savoured the rich Wiltshire accent.

30 minutes ago, Athy said:

Shurely shome mishtake here?

Count your blessings: you could be cycling up the Caen Hill Floight.

It was. Another joke. A reference to Roland riding a tandem up a mountain and I find 20 miles of muddy towpath a bit daunting!

Yiu are excused your mistake. 

Braunston to suttons is a dreadful bit of towpath. I fell in on the bit between barby and the prison riding back to the boat from work in rugby . The boats were moored at the prison as i had done assessments there the day before, and being winter couldnt move in the evening. It was worse for mrs S as she had to leave her car at the end of the barby straight and trudge down to the boat.

On 07/12/2018 at 22:49, sailor mcgee said:

yeah.... something about that.image.png.9f39507b14a8eb8d7b06bf09a6af0607.png

Should the USA not be labelled "nearly imperial"? They might use feet and inches, but they don't seem to do proper gallons, and the Unified National threads are a bit of a compromise, with the thread angle chosen for ease of calculation, rather than performance.

We in the UK, however, will use whatever system is easiest for the purpose at hand, although that does lead to some anomalies, such as speed limit signs on canals saying "6.44 Kph" ?

Here in the

On 09/12/2018 at 08:14, roland elsdon said:

No its sunday night and we have just ridden a tandem up the second biggest mountain in victoria...it was 37 degrees earlier. Thats my reality, its a long way from warwickshire and the boat

37 degrees.  That really is a steep incline !

• Greenie 1

On 09/12/2018 at 09:09, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have enormous admiration for your sheer energy with so much bike riding. Riding my own bike back from Braunston to Sutton Stop along the flat towpath later today seems a bit of a mountain to me, here. I have blagged a lift. Probably!

Get a lighter bike, it's amazing the difference it makes to how far / easily you can go, I switched from a generic £99 full suspension bike to a Raleigh Talus 1 (no suspension, aluminium frame and the same geometry as my ancient raleigh mustang that someone pinched) and it easily doubled my range (easy to get on / off the roof of the boat with one hand too), the only thing I needed to change was the handlebar riser (needed it a little higher & closer)

On 09/12/2018 at 11:03, roland elsdon said:

Braunston to suttons is a dreadful bit of towpath. I fell in on the bit between barby and the prison riding back to the boat from work in rugby . The boats were moored at the prison as i had done assessments there the day before, and being winter couldnt move in the evening. It was worse for mrs S as she had to leave her car at the end of the barby straight and trudge down to the boat.

you could have parked at the prison and used the public footpaths to get to the canal (across 1 field from memory).

I lived at Onley (in a house not the prison) for a few years and often used to walk or bike to / from braunston along the towpath in the early hours of the morning.