sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I went into out local village Butcher the other day and asked for a 'pound of sausages' it was supplied with narry an eyebrow raised.

As an aside - I also asked for a couple of Pork chops and requested "make them lean", to which he replied "certainly, which way ?"

File under "stage, kindly leave".

The butcher's next door to us prints the weight of its packs of meat in kg and g on the actual packaging, but advertises their prices at "£4.99" per lb" etc. on their blackboards.

11 hours ago, sailor mcgee said:

lets take the max for grand union 70ft long,14ft wide. Narrow canals 70ft long, 7ft wide, don't know the air draft

You would be struggling a bit with a full length 14ft beam boat more so with a load  on the GU  most FMC narrowboats were approx  1ton =i inch less dry side used to be how much dry side you wanted/could cope with, now it's water depth/lack of channel  that would be the limiting factor

9 hours ago, sailor mcgee said:

on a widebeam id maybe opt to go from london to the north via the river lea and then up towards humberside along the humber and towards liverpool leeds (when thats open)

The only sure way of doing that trip would be on a truck

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

File under "stage, kindly leave".

The butcher's next door to us prints the weight of its packs of meat in kg and g on the actual packaging, but advertises their prices at "£4.99" per lb" etc. on their blackboards.

Like some of these budget carpet/furniture stores flyers advertise as xxxx per sq yard on the carpet roll in store it's xxxx persq metre or the "tother way around"

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

The locks on the GU main line will all take two narrow boats side by side, but some of the bridges won't. In general, the further you go from the Brentford end up the GU in a widebeam, the less popular you will be with anyone navigating in the opposite direction. I'm not sure where the limit of navigation would be for a boat a full 14' wide, but it'll be well before the end (Sampson Road, top of Camp Hill locks, a few miles short of Birmingham city centre).

If you took the biggest widebeam that could go all the way to Sampson Road, about 70' x 12', and loaded it as much as possible while still being able to get over the shallowest bits (I nominate the cutting just west of Catherine de Barnes), I estimate you could carry about 40 tonnes. But it would be easier to take the same cargo there in a pair of narrow boats.

Used to be possibly a couple in the Stockton & Blue Lias areas but may now be different ones

8 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Used to be possibly a couple in the Stockton & Blue Lias areas but may now be different ones

Yes, this is still a known restriction - if a 14 foot boat manages to get that far towards Birmingham, they are unlikely to get any further.

Also on the GU crap behind lock gates such that they will not fully open is now a regular problem.  If operating two 7' boats breasted together we often find we can't get gates open wide enough to get through.  With a pair of boats you can single them out, with a 14 barge you can't.  I wuld not fancy taking sanything much over 12' 6" beam very far up the GU these days.

12 hours ago, dmr said:

Yup, thats exactly it. Our tape measures and rules have cm on one edge and inches on the other and we decide which one to use depending upon the phase of the moon.

Sometimes we work in tenths of inch but normally we prefer 1/2   1/4  1/8  1/16 and also 1/32    see! we invented binary even before computers. For engineering we like the "thou" which is 1/000 of an inch.  A thou of wear in a cylinder bore is significant, and a skilled engine builder can just detect a step of 1/10 thou with his fingernail.

and then there's 6 inches but we don't want to get another thread closed!!!!!  (and that's not your thing anyway)

.............Dave

As a perway engineer, when we electrified Weaver Jcn to Glasgow we measured in miles and metres.

What's wrong with that then? ?

George

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The start of the decline - 15th Feb 1971.

Never been the same since.

dont discuss politics. remember not everyone has the same view and it could be a heated discussion; forexample those younger who never known anything other than metric and its ok. its ok to like to travel freely.

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And to confuse things further, in Norway 10 kilometres is 1 mile.

eftersom vi som bor i skandavia har mil och en km 10 km till et skandanavik mil

5 minutes ago, sailor mcgee said:

dont discuss politics. remember not everyone has the same view and it could be a heated discussion; forexample those younger who never known anything other than metric and its ok. its ok to like to travel freely.

Your only option here it to ignore any posts that you feel are more political than you want to get involved with because they will come up more often than you might think. 

Edited by Tumshie

4 minutes ago, sailor mcgee said:

google translate?

15/2/71 var inte riktigt "politiskt", det var bara början på förlusten av den brittiska identiteten.
Det var det datum som vi bytte från vår valuta på 100-årsålder till den nya "decimal" valutan.

I had offices in both Norway (Oslo) and Sweden (Goteborg & Järfälla) in the 'old days' when I was working.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

15/2/71 was not really 'political' , it was just the start of the loss of the British identity.

It was the date that we changed from our currency of 100s of years to the new 'decimal' currency.

I understand what you're saying - for me it's the American influence that saddens me the most.

The British identity has been evolving for thousands of years and for as long as we're British it will continue to evolve or we will stagnate.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Tumshie said:

I understand what you're saying - for me it's the American influence that saddens me the most.

The British identity has been evolving for thousands of years and for as long as we're British it will continue to evolve or we will stagnate.

i wish we had more european identity - least there we can feel bad together about colonialism (im the great great great great.... great grand child of william wilberforce)

1 minute ago, sailor mcgee said:

i wish we had more european identity - least there we can feel bad together about colonialism (im the great great great great.... great grand child of william wilberforce)

You can't say don't talk about politics and the go on to talk politics. ?

I'd like a length of 4ftx 2ft timber please.    Oooh, sorry soir we don't stock it any more because we've all gone completely metric now, but I can do yer  10cm's x 5cm's which is near enough. And if yer be wantin any its 7/8d a foot.

7 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I'd like a length of 4ftx 2ft timber please.    Oooh, sorry soir we don't stock it any more because we've all gone completely metric now, but I can do yer  10cm's x 5cm's which is near enough. And if yer be wantin any its 7/8d a foot.

I see you are still struggling with the 'metric' sizes

4ft = 1200mm

2ft = 600mm

10cm x 5cm would be 4" x 2"

1 hour ago, Tumshie said:

To an extent I'd agree - but I can't imagine a Britain devoid of blues, rock'n'roll and the occasional hamburger.