Algae on the roof

Lesley S

Featured Posts

Does anyone have an idea for removing algae from the non slip areas of the roof. I have tried a stiff scrubbing brush and all the usual cleaning fluids. Obviously need to think about residue going into the water so probably some things are a no no. My next thought is white vinegar if it ever stops raining.

Patio Magic.   Other similar products available  (active ingredient Benzalkonium chloride  IIRC).

Dilute as directed on the can, spray on enough to get the roof just wet,  on  a dry day and leave.  After about 10 days the algae will have disappeared.

Otherwise move your mooring to one that is pretty sunny.

N

I've used Bio D and found it works really well, it still takes a little elbow grease and it doesn't contain any active ingredients that will stop the algae coming back but it is the kindest you can be to the canal while still being effective. You can buy 750ml or 5l.  

https://biodegradable.biz/household/multi-surface-sanitiser-750ml.html

Thank you BEngo and Tumshie for your advice. I will try both and post the success (I hope) of them on the site. Bit of a long way to the South of France for sunshine! Seriously though I am in a Marina and out in the open and still have the problem. 

Best Regards Lesley

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

Patio Magic.   Other similar products available  (active ingredient Benzalkonium chloride  IIRC).

Dilute as directed on the can, spray on enough to get the roof just wet,  on  a dry day and leave.  After about 10 days the algae will have disappeared.

Otherwise move your mooring to one that is pretty sunny.

N

Wet and Forget is another  product. Costco do it but only in 5 litre cans.

Frank

3 hours ago, Lesley S said:

Does anyone have an idea for removing algae from the non slip areas of the roof. I have tried a stiff scrubbing brush and all the usual cleaning fluids. Obviously need to think about residue going into the water so probably some things are a no no. My next thought is white vinegar if it ever stops raining.

Jet washer.

• Greenie 1

I spent some time as a Marine Valet and we used Starbrite foaming deck cleaner.

Spray or sprinkle on the area to be clean, spread it evenly over the surface and leave for a few minutes then wet broom and scrub up a foam. Rinse off with clean water, job done

Oh and we never ever used a pressure washer, it makes me wince when I see this.

Phil

15 minutes ago, Lesley S said:

Thank you, however jet washers also bring off layers of paint! :(

If paint is coming off when your using a consumer jet wash then the paint was coming off anyhow!   You also stand on your paint work as well, this will do more damage than a jet wash!

Edited by Robbo

6 hours ago, Robbo said:

If paint is coming off when your using a consumer jet wash then the paint was coming off anyhow!   You also stand on your paint work as well, this will do more damage than a jet wash!

Sorry but you're wrong, there are right and wrong ways to use pressure washers and the company I worked for would fire you for using one. It has nothing to do with paint which is poorly adhered . I cannot recall any occasion when paint was damaged by walking on it, I'm talking about non-slip painted decks, this of course is something NBs lack, decks but then in the world of boats NBs only make up a small percentage.

Phil

9 hours ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Sorry but you're wrong, there are right and wrong ways to use pressure washers and the company I worked for would fire you for using one. It has nothing to do with paint which is poorly adhered . I cannot recall any occasion when paint was damaged by walking on it, I'm talking about non-slip painted decks, this of course is something NBs lack, decks but then in the world of boats NBs only make up a small percentage.

Phil

Yeah right, if your using a pressure washer and your paint is coming off then your either using a very high pressure washer or your too dam close.  A pressure washer is the prefect way to remove crap from non slip decks.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Lesley S said:

Hi,

Thank you so much to everyone who offered advice. This post is digressing so I am withdrawing from it now.

Regards and safe boating to all.

Lesley

Good luck, Lesley, I hope you find the product that suits you. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone.

Just thought I'd report back about my algae. I used Patio Magic and a week later (despite intermittent rain) it scrubbed off with very little effort.

Thanks again for all you interest and taking the trouble to reply. I wish you all a Happy Christmas and safe New Year.

Lesley

• 3 years later...

I had this same issue and tried many things, after a lot of research I found out most moss removal chemicals are toxic to wildlife/fish so I ended up settling on sodium hypochlorite (bleach) the good thing about this is that I was told it wont affect the wildlife due to the dilution apparently they use bleach for our drinking water too so I trusted that information. I got a brush from www.roofscraper.co.uk and used that to scrape the moss off I then used a normal broom and a bucket to apply the bleach solution. it has worked so far but after 7 months some algae has grown back so might have to find a more long term solution in the future

On 21/12/2018 at 12:02, Lesley S said:

Hi Everyone.

Just thought I'd report back about my algae. I used Patio Magic and a week later (despite intermittent rain) it scrubbed off with very little effort.

Thanks again for all you interest and taking the trouble to reply. I wish you all a Happy Christmas and safe New Year.

Lesley

not good for the environment https://www.lovethegarden.com/sites/default/files/content/products/documents/spec_sheets/UK_016491_PM_msds.pdf

image.png.6d78ebc9a41edc22e52e29f4479ed862.png