Chimney length

Felshampo

Featured Posts

45 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

I had a duffel when I was about ten I think. I wore army and navy surplus as a teenager in the 70s. Then along came companies like rohan and berghaus. The advantage they gave was the clothes were waterproof and warm. Not a fan of goretex but I like the alternatives. Never done a 16 hour day on a boat only a couple around 12 hours which was bad enough. As for practices from days past being better than present day, I won't open that can of worms........ 

Yep one of those will do..... 

The fact that the modern walking /hiking water poof kit was in the future had it been available it would have been way out of our price range the last trip I did to the "Jam Ole "was from Pooly Hall in 1964 46tons on the pair If you were unloaded right away it was a 5/6 days return trip it was paid @£23/10shillings & sixpence if you had  paper with trip details your diesel was payed for if it was a casual trip you were payed for 3/2rds of your diesel costs as the motor in my boat wa a "Seffle" semi diesel& the oil system was yotal loss I always had to pay for my lube oil that payment was for 2 people working Wife & Self & as I was the owner of my boats & a sub contractor I was responsible for maintenance/ repairs not till I got an extended contract with BW for carrying piles & concrete products did my maintenance get covered

Edited by X Alan W

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

The fact that the modern walking /hiking water poof kit was in the future had it been available it would have been way out of our price range the last trip I did to the "Jam Ole "was from Pooly Hall in 1964 46tons on the pair If you were unloaded right away it was a 5/6 days return trip it was paid @£23/10shillings & sixpence if you had  paper with trip details your diesel was payed for if it was a casual trip you were payed for 3/2rds of your diesel costs as the motor in my boat wa a "Seffle" semi diesel& the oil system was yotal loss I always had to pay for my lube oil that payment was for 2 people working Wife & Self & as I was the owner of my boats & a sub contractor I was responsible for maintenance/ repairs not till I got an extended contract with BW for carrying piles & concrete products did my maintenance get covered

I was brought up on a farm. I was picking potatoes, and worse, peas by hand all day when I was 12. So I'm not really impressed with "You were lucky... We ad it really tuff...." stories.... Sorry! 

Edited by Felshampo

14 hours ago, Felshampo said:

I was brought up on a farm. I was picking potatoes, and worse, peas by hand all day when I was 12. So I'm not really impressed with "You were lucky... We ad it really tuff...." stories.... Sorry! 

I was not looking for your sympathy or if you are impressed or not ,just explaining that had super outdoor clothing  been available we could not have afforded it ,you were the one that took the mick out of me saying a duffel coat was a good for it's day cold/wet coat to wear(Note jacket worn by the steerer on page 2 )Why are you getting all aggressive I was stating the facts as they were at  that period of time on the cut if you think it's of no interest or you have had it harder or whatever ignore my posts as is your prerogative there is no need to come back with a i've had as hard if not harder life so not impressed  syndrome. I assumed possibly incorrectly that your icy /cold boating was limited but other than that have limited my posts to statement of fact of the way things were for us  cut wise 58/72 not having digs at you

• Greenie 1

On 08/12/2018 at 09:58, Markinaboat said:

Exhaust gas from a premier range? It's not for the engine, 5/6" collar and short. ?

Cant see how anything could be reliably attached and wouldn't want to rely on it with someone sleeping in the BMC. 

couple more pics. Doesn't look like anything's broken off.

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

20 hours ago, X Alan W said:

In that case I apologise  are we talking  14/16 hr days,7days'a week must get on boating ?& coats obtained from ex WD or forerunners of charity shops I guess there have been significant changes  since the late50'searly 60's may I suggest a try of some of the practices from days past some  work better than present day ways What ever you choose enjoy

I find it interesting that a lot of shiny boaters go on about how they like the 'traditional' things on the cut (Buckby cans, roses, castles, faux rivets etc) but when it comes to working locks or getting ahead they crawl along, moan about 'speedsters' who want to get past and spout (especially on uTube) such rubbish as "If you are in a hurry you shouldn't be on the canal"

Edited by Victor Vectis
Spelin.
  • Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

I find it interesting that a lot of shiny boaters go on about how they like the 'traditional' things on the cut (Buckby cans, roses, castles, faux rivets etc) but when it comes to working locks or getting ahead they crawl along, moan about 'speedsters' who want to get past and spout (especially on uTube) such rubbish as "If you are in a hurry you shouldn't be on the canal"

It was never a case of going to fast it was all about performing each task required in the most efficient manner with the minimum out lay of effort so14/18 hrs later you were still capable & not dead to the world with fatigue knowing tomorrow  would be very similar

8 hours ago, X Alan W said:

I was not looking for your sympathy or if you are impressed or not ,just explaining that had super outdoor clothing  been available we could not have afforded it ,you were the one that took the mick out of me saying a duffel coat was a good for it's day cold/wet coat to wear(Note jacket worn by the steerer on page 2 )Why are you getting all aggressive I was stating the facts as they were at  that period of time on the cut if you think it's of no interest or you have had it harder or whatever ignore my posts as is your prerogative there is no need to come back with a i've had as hard if not harder life so not impressed  syndrome. I assumed possibly incorrectly that your icy /cold boating was limited but other than that have limited my posts to statement of fact of the way things were for us  cut wise 58/72 not having digs at you

I wasn't getting aggressive as usual I just misinterpreted your post. All I wanted to know was what length chimney to get. As usual people misinterpret humour for aggression. 

Let's call it quits. 

13 hours ago, Felshampo said:

I wasn't getting aggressive as usual I just misinterpreted your post. All I wanted to know was what length chimney to get. As usual people misinterpret humour for aggression. 

Let's call it quits. 

An emoji usually helps if that' s the direction you' heading  28 inches or measure from chimney collar long enough to let smoke pass over your head ,single skin if you want a hand warmer  good chimney chain & eye or it's a certainty it will end in the cut  red paint between brass bands if you wish to be a #1 depend t on the placement of your chain fixing eye may double up as a tiller string anchor point on that side