Chimney length

Felshampo

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

That's why you need a baked bean/dried milk tin.  

Sorry, can't see that.  Single skin chimney fits OVER the stub on the roof.

My double skin chimney, the inner liner fits INSIDE the roof stub,and the outer goes over the stub.

What's the bean/dried milk tin do? 

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Sorry, can't see that.  Single skin chimney fits OVER the stub on the roof.

My double skin chimney, the inner liner fits INSIDE the roof stub,and the outer goes over the stub.

What's the bean/dried milk tin do? 

Working boaters used to use it in two ways I believe, one, open both ends of the tin and cut it lengthwise to extend the length of the chimney and two put the upturned tin over the chimney to stop the rain getting in when the range is not in use.

Not a milk or bean tin but you get the idea. 

Ray White Braunston tunnel..jpg

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, Markinaboat said:

Whilst we're on the subject, found this on the new boat in the back cabin. Being the only one, presumably it's for the premier range. It has a lid but no means of holding the lid open. Just a split pin through the hinge that I'll need to remove. Have googled but not found this.

IMG_6557.JPG

Think the exhaust gas is supposed to lift it. Usually works OK, but wil, I suppose, depend a bit on how well it's balanced.

e.t.a. on second reading, if that's on a fire, I don't think it'll work well ? Is there a bit on the non chimney side of the hinge where a weight could be attached (magnet, possibly?)

Edited by Iain_S

4 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Think the exhaust gas is supposed to lift it. Usually works OK, but wil, I suppose, depend a bit on how well it's balanced.

e.t.a. on second reading, if that's on a fire, I don't think it'll work well ? Is there a bit on the non chimney side of the hinge where a weight could be attached (magnet, possibly?)

It looks like there an extension at the back of the lid behind the split pin - could there have been a chain on that to hold it raised?

17 hours ago, Iain_S said:

17 hours ago, Iain_S said:

Exhaust gas from a premier range? It's not for the engine, 5/6" collar and short. ?

Cant see how anything could be reliably attached and wouldn't want to rely on it with someone sleeping in the BMC. 

Edited by Markinaboat

19 hours ago, Ray T said:

Working boaters used to use it in two ways I believe, one, open both ends of the tin and cut it lengthwise to extend the length of the chimney and two put the upturned tin over the chimney to stop the rain getting in when the range is not in use.

Not a milk or bean tin but you get the idea. 

Ray White Braunston tunnel..jpg

Never mind the tin, where can you get a chimney like that?

On 07/12/2018 at 10:25, koukouvagia said:

Yes.  In cold weather you stand on the back cabin step and the warmth from the fire is lovely and toasty.

As said stand on the foot board close the cabin doors behind you & pull the slide till it touches your body or were it feels comfortable boaters standard practice for snowy /frosty boating not forgetting kettle on range & tea pot or brewing kit within reach  duffel coat with collar turned up & flat cap/trilby  with rim turned down

• Greenie 1

On 07/12/2018 at 11:07, Mad Harold said:

You're going back a lot of years with National Dried Milk! Do you remember the Romans leaving Britain too?

Regarding chimneys,I have found the double skin better,in that the tar trickles back down.

With a single skin,tar starts running down the cabin side and as well as looking unsightly,it is difficult to clean off.

If your boat has std hand rails (not Yarwoods type) how does tar run down the cabin sides unless there is a rain drain slot by the chimney? could collect on cabin roof  which if it does you are not running your fire hot enough used to be a wipe with paraffin rag but am informed that road film remover used by car valeting company's is now the way to go

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Where do you get powder coated dogs from ?

Or,

Will it work with non-powder coated dogs ?

Only works with Black non powder coated dogs ?

10 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Eddie Hambridge made me the taller one, Simon Wain of Brinklow boats the shorter one.

DSCF4140.JPG

Ray you'll never get any smoke out of the top of them they're supposed to sit on the range flue ?Tidy bit of kit you have there If they were mine I'd be scared to use them (frightened of mucking them up)

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's a shame, neither of mine would meet that requirement.

CAM00254.jpg

Has the beige coloured one picked up the wrong  coat ?? I'm not to up with smaller dogs are they pugs ? whatever brand they look very well cared for& content Our black lab needs re coating she needs her lower strakes& around the bow redoing the whites  showing through

Edited by X Alan W
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

If your boat has std hand rails (not Yarwoods type) how does tar run down the cabin sides unless there is a rain drain slot by the chimney?

Dunno what Yarwood rails are. Mine are round section with welded supports every couple of feet.So practically open. Tried cleaning with paraffin and white spirit but it won't remove the tar completely especially the roof which is painted with light grey walkway grippy paint So I will try the road film remover.

The stove is burning quite hot,and the amount of tar seems to depend on the fuel used.Wood seems to be the worst,and petcoke makes very little tar.My instruction book for the stove advises not to burn petcoke,but I have had no problems with it.

Anyway since fitting a double skin chimney,the leaking of tar has stopped,but the stains remain.

2 hours ago, X Alan W said:

As said stand on the foot board close the cabin doors behind you & pull the slide till it touches your body or were it feels comfortable boaters standard practice for snowy /frosty boating not forgetting kettle on range & tea pot or brewing kit within reach  duffel coat with collar turned up & flat cap/trilby  with rim turned down

Duffel coat and trilby, who do you think I am?    Paddington bear

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Eddie Hambridge made me the taller one, Simon Wain of Brinklow boats the shorter one.

DSCF4140.JPG

Nice..... 

41 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Dunno what Yarwood rails are. Mine are round section with welded supports every couple of feet.So practically open. Tried cleaning with paraffin and white spirit but it won't remove the tar completely especially the roof which is painted with light grey walkway grippy paint So I will try the road film remover.

The stove is burning quite hot,and the amount of tar seems to depend on the fuel used.Wood seems to be the worst,and petcoke makes very little tar.My instruction book for the stove advises not to burn petcoke,but I have had no problems with it.

Anyway since fitting a double skin chimney,the leaking of tar has stopped,but the stains remain.

Your hand rails are of the type fitted by Yarwoods working boats so yes goo would run down the cabinnside You probably realise  that I  have done very little leisure boating all my boating14 years was either working11years &  Hotel Boaying 3 years

4 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

You presume wrong........ 

4 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

6 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

You presume wrong........ 

In that case I apologise  are we talking  14/16 hr days,7days'a week must get on boating ?& coats obtained from ex WD or forerunners of charity shops I guess there have been significant changes  since the late50'searly 60's may I suggest a try of some of the practices from days past some  work better than present day ways What ever you choose enjoy

13 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

In that case I apologise  are we talking  14/16 hr days,7days'a week must get on boating ?& coats obtained from ex WD or forerunners of charity shops I guess there have been significant changes  since the late50'searly 60's may I suggest a try of some of the practices from days past some  work better than present day ways What ever you choose enjoy

I had a duffel when I was about ten I think. I wore army and navy surplus as a teenager in the 70s. Then along came companies like rohan and berghaus. The advantage they gave was the clothes were waterproof and warm. Not a fan of goretex but I like the alternatives. Never done a 16 hour day on a boat only a couple around 12 hours which was bad enough. As for practices from days past being better than present day, I won't open that can of worms........ 

24 minutes ago, Ray T said:

He lives in Hatton Derbyshire.  Facebook.

Some of his chimneys.

22118924_486103328414714_1499369204_n.jpg

Yep one of those will do.....