Chimney length

Felshampo

Featured Posts

What are the pros and cons for the length of a chimney on the stove in the boatmans cabin. I have a 28 inch one which works well on the stove in the saloon. I was thinking of buying a second one for the stove at the back. This would be used when we have visitors using the bed in the boatmans cabin and when cruising. Most boats seem to use long chimneys. What about the short ones (12") are they OK? 

We have a stove at front and back.The one at the back has a shorter flue pipe than the one at front, and a shorter chimney too.It doesn't seem to make much difference to stove performance.

We did go for a couple of years with no chimney at all, which again didn't seem to effect the stove performance, but obviously didn't aid with smoke removal as well as having a chimney.

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We have a stove at front and back.The one at the back has a shorter flue pipe than the one at front, and a shorter chimney too.It doesn't seem to make much difference to stove performance.

We did go for a couple of years with no chimney at all, which again didn't seem to effect the stove performance, but obviously didn't aid with smoke removal as well as having a chimney.

Do you cruise with the fire going. Does it matter having a shorter chimney with smoke and the steerer?

Longer ones - Pros: aesthetically pleasing (IMO); smoke from fire not in your face.

Con: you  have to take long ones off at some low bridges

Frankly, it doesn't matter which you chose.  After all, the  main purpose of a chimney is to warm the steerer's hands ?- therefore don't have a liner, just a baked bean tin in the top.

Edited by koukouvagia

3 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

therefore don't have a liner, just a baked bean tin in the top.

If wishing the authentic trad look, not a beanz tin unless desperate.  It should be a National Dried Milk tin.

And in either type don't forget to remove the bottom of the tin?

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

If wishing the authentic trad look, not a beanz tin unless desperate.  It should be a National Dried Milk tin.

N

251697B4-CA64-483A-97B3-FE49E2522248.jpeg.5797ded01c71f54345e9008e945fb8ac.jpeg

That reminds me... when you took your cod liver oil capsule and accidentally bit it open...

3 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

Agreed.  I've just looked on ebay and seen that a genuine one costs a fortune.  I'll stick with the baked bean tin :) 

eta: Ah, you can type faste than me - your picture shows the one I was looking at!

Edited by koukouvagia

4 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

Agreed.  I've just looked on ebay and seen that a genuine one costs a fortune.  I'll stick with the baked bean tin :)

It's possible to have them over-plated apparently!

31 minutes ago, BEngo said:

N

You're going back a lot of years with National Dried Milk! Do you remember the Romans leaving Britain too?

Regarding chimneys,I have found the double skin better,in that the tar trickles back down.

With a single skin,tar starts running down the cabin side and as well as looking unsightly,it is difficult to clean off.

2 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

You're going back a lot of years with National Dried Milk! Do you remember the Romans leaving Britain too?

Regarding chimneys,I have found the double skin better,in that the tar trickles back down.

With a single skin,tar starts running down the cabin side and as well as looking unsightly,it is difficult to clean off.

Can you still use it as a hand warmer ?

13 minutes ago, Felshampo said:

Can you still use it as a hand warmer ?

Yes, it still gets warm,but I can't on my tub because the stove is halfway along the boat. It would involve leaving the tiller unattended [I always sail alone,nobody is daft enough to come with me] and scuttling along the gunwale and back!  

Not recommended!

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

Longer ones - Pros: aesthetically pleasing (IMO); smoke from fire not in your face.

Con: you  have to take long ones off at some low bridges

Frankly, it doesn't matter which you chose.  After all, the  main purpose of a chimney is to warm the steerer's hands ?- therefore don't have a liner, just a baked bean tin in the top.

Long enough to keep the smoke out of your eyes when stood on the foot board or the regulation baby milk tin extension always used "ostamilk" brand

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Yes, it still gets warm,but I can't on my tub because the stove is halfway along the boat. It would involve leaving the tiller unattended [I always sail alone,nobody is daft enough to come with me] and scuttling along the gunwale and back!  

Not recommended!

No! 

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

In the same category as "Don't forget to remove the cap on the engine room exhaust before starting the engine!

Different ball game they are in most cases self removing & usually end up in the cut

Edited by X Alan W

Whilst we're on the subject, found this on the new boat in the back cabin. Being the only one, presumably it's for the premier range. It has a lid but no means of holding the lid open. Just a split pin through the hinge that I'll need to remove. Have googled but not found this.

IMG_6557.JPG