Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
rusty69

Internet Pet medicine

Featured Posts

We took our cat to vet last week.Trouble going to pee pee. The bill was 85 quid. When looking on tinternet, the price of the medicine was about 20 quid, so a 65 quid consultation fee.

Any reason why I shouldn't buy the medicine on ebay/amazon ?

I thankyou

if its a prescription medicine they will want a copy of the prescription vets usually charge 25 quid for them

then you can buy online

find a freelance vet and halve your costs

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Nut said:

if its a prescription medicine they will want a copy of the prescription vets usually charge 25 quid for them

then you can buy online

find a freelance vet and halve your costs

Oh, ok,thanks dunno if it is prescription.

What about  Pets  online?  at Home?

It almost certainly will be prescription

I don't mind supporting my chosen vets [not the closest] as they have proper in house 24/7 cover, and have the best vets in their practice.

They have tremendous overheads, on Monday morning its going like a fair, but they have a quiet room for cats. with calming aerosols.

Edited by LadyG

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We took our cat to vet last week.Trouble going to pee pee. The bill was 85 quid. When looking on tinternet, the price of the medicine was about 20 quid, so a 65 quid consultation fee.

Any reason why I shouldn't buy the medicine on ebay/amazon ?

I thankyou

Much the same as meds for humans if you need certain ones it requires a prescription to be issued.

So yes vet meds are readily available on the internet but if it meets certain categories you will need to supply a prescription. Some vets will charge to issue a prescription further reducing the price advantage.

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

What about  pets  online?

It almost certainly will be.

If it's a POM the prescribing vet will still need to issue a prescription.

• Greenie 1

From someone who knows, not me

If it is POMV the vet has to issue a prescription, which they will charge for but this is capped so as to ensure they don't just equal  the cost of the meds. You can then scan this into one of a number of legit UK based pet pharmacies and usually make a fair saving.

This does mean that it is no good if your pet needs the meds now.

Also, there are mucho scam sites and those selling random meds/claiming not to need a prescription.

ALSO the cost of medications is not just the med, it is the expertise of the diagnosis and the facilities of the clinic providing it. Online meds are not a substitute for the treatment of a qualified veterinary professional, and very few vets will continue to issue repeat prescriptions for long-term conditions without regular consults scheduled in. Even for POMV flea and worming treatments, pets must, as mandated by the regulations, be seen every year.

One other thing, the price of prescription meds in many clinics has fallen, sometimes by a reasonable degree, since the buying online legitimately thing became a thing.

So there may not always be a big saving by buying online, but if it's a repeat or ongoing thing, worth checking.

• Greenie 2

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The trouble is that you still need  to go back to a vet if that does not work.

Best to put kitty on special diet eg Royal Canin, as kidneys are a trait with cats. http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/royal-canin-urinary-care-cat-food-2kg

Edited by LadyG

Ok before I sleep another comment

It's basically a supplement, like some people take cod liver oil or prebiotics, but they don't actually treat anything.

It's not even a prescription med.

Again I am purely the messenger 

Would I buy meds for our dog off eBay?

No. Much the same as I wouldn't buy them for me.

• Greenie 2

Your very lucky if the cat will take a tablet, mine has an aversion to being caught, it took me a year to get him in to pet crate, and doing a simple "Spot On" is a major exercise

PS @tree monkey seems to go to bed very early, is it cold on a narrowboat?

Edited by LadyG

I don't know about the meds but just making an appointment and having your cat examined must be a big part of that total bill. 

I once had a dog that had cancer and she took a steroid tablet every day for the rest of her life - which turned out to be a really long time - but the vet had to see her every couple of months, the visits consisted of nothing special but by law the vet had to see her or she couldn't prescribe more tablets. 

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Ok before I sleep another comment

It's basically a supplement, like some people take cod liver oil or prebiotics, but they don't actually treat anything.

It's not even a prescription med.

Again I am purely the messenger 

Thankyou Mrs TreeMonkey. Don't forget to give Mr Treemonkey his monthly flea treatment,and don't let him "milk your nose".

2 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Your very lucky if the cat will take a tablet, mine has an aversion to being caught, it took me a year to get him in to pet crate, and doing a simple "Spot On" is a major exercise

Tis a powder,she wont take it unless it is in a bit of milk.

I think prices have multiplied recently, mine just gets worm and flea treatment [no visit], but the vaccination required several visits in short order.

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thankyou Mrs TreeMonkey. Don't forget to give Mr Treemonkey his monthly flea treatment,and don't let him "milk your nose".

Tis a powder,she wont take it unless it is in a bit of milk.

lol, mine won't drink milk, there is something called lickits or similar which they will eat, sort of in yellow wrappers [cat treats].

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I think prices have multiplied recently, mine just gets worm and flea treatment [no visit], but the vaccination required several visits in short order.

lol, mine won't drink milk, there is something called lickits or similar which they will eat, sort of in yellow wrappers [cat treats].

Dunno why, but was under the impression milk is not good for cats, so they don't have it often. 

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Dunno why, but was under the impression milk is not good for cats, so they don't have it often. 

NOT cows milk, [lactose intolerance], but there is special bottle of Cat Milk, which my cat won't drink either.

Whiskas Cat Milk is specially made with reduced lactose so that it is good for cats. Unlike regular milk it has been specially developed by top nutritionists and veterinarians to contain less than 0.2% lactose.

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

not cows milk, [lactose intolerance], but there is special bottle of Cat Milk, which my cat won't drink either.

I've never tried milking a cat.... Will try tomorrow! 

I've never tried milking a cat.... Will try tomorrow! 

You're a beagle silly you're not meant to drink cat milk. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

You should try unicorn milk. 

:o Ok I'm not sure what unicorn milk is but a quick DuckDuckGo tells me people are smoking it - which is just Eeeewww. :sick:

Edited by Tumshie

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

:o Ok I'm not sure what unicorn milk is but a quick DuckDuckGo tells me people are smoking it - which is just Eeeewww. :sick:

Make sure it is a pink unicorn. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Make sure it is a pink unicorn. 

I don't really have a sweet tooth - that just sound nasty. :sick:

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

I don't really have a sweet tooth - that just sound nasty. :sick:

I bet tree monkey likes pink unicorns