Fire power

Bod

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

"It will use water-cooled thermoelectric technology to output both electricity and hot water"

but how does it work?

BTW, USD 8000 was always expensive but given the relative directions of travel of the US Dollar and the Pound Sterling it's getting more expensive all the time!

same tech as eco-fans

Thermoelectric (or peltier effect) semiconductors with fire on one side and water on the other (they work on temperature difference so you have to have some way of getting rid of the heat you put into the hot side)

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not exactly confidence-inspiring, then. I'd be asking myself how the effect is scaled up, bearing in mind the vast amounts of energy put out by an Ecofan ( :lol: )..

to be fair... the greater the temperature difference between the hot/cold sides the more power generated (that's why they say not to put eco fans in line with flues) so using water as the cold side will give far more than relying on air like the eco fans do.

however.....

figures I am seeing give peltier modules an efficiency of between 10% and 20%, so for the 500w of electrical output you need to be dumping 2500w to 5000w of heat through the modules into the water (or pretty much all of the heat generated by a small stove like a squirrel burning flat out)