Receiving Packages

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

On 06/12/2018 at 12:49, rusty69 said:

Fear-not. In the future there will be buildings where you can go to buy goods.These buildings will be named ...erm...shops, and these shops will be strategically placed throughout the land.

The public will be able to go into these shops, where the goods will be on display. There will be more than one of these goods, and the public will take one or more off the shelf and pay for it. They will then be able to leave the shop with the goods and take them home that very same day.

The shops will likely all be grouped together for ease of perusal and the model will replicated throughout the realm.

The future is bright........

And then will along come your local council and start charging extortionate fees in order to be able to park near to these buildings and the land lords who own these buildings will hike up the rents and thus these buildings will once again become empty, especially as at the same time somebody will come along and allow you to buy things from their building (In a jungle somewhere) and have it delivered direct to your door.....sometimes even on the same day.

Edited by MJG

On 07/12/2018 at 12:46, MartynG said:

By the way I completely understand why the marina would not accept delivery of parcels.

If everyone in a 200 boat marina did the same thing the workload for the marina may become significant.

Also imagine what people would do if the goods were found to be damaged. I am sure the marina would be at risk of being held liable and for something for which they receive no income.

If you want items for the boat delivered to the marina it would be better to order the items through the marina.  That way the marina becomes a retailer and you have the relevant consumer protection. I have done this on occasions and it has not necessarily involved any more cost compared to ordering online.

Indeed, isn't this an example of one of things you have to accept as a compromise if you choose to live or spend an extended time on a boat? Much the same as some of the other things you have to give up or compromise on as part of not being land based?

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The most unpleasant ones have been ejected from the site now so it probably won’t happen again.

I wouldn't be too sure about that Mike.
One of them was boasting on TB that he had come back under another name this week.

16 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

I wouldn't be too sure about that Mike.
One of them was boasting on TB that he had come back under another name this week.

The whole sock puppet thing is just so incredibly sad - I mean just why? what's the point? ?

It just makes them look like saddos to me but then I don't know what they can be getting out of it. ?

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

On 07/12/2018 at 12:30, Goliath said:

And most proper Post Offices will offer the service ‘Poste Restante’. 

It’s discretionary and some Post Offices are better with it than others. 

This service does also rely on the sender using Roayl Mail or Parcelforce as the carrier. A Post Office that offers Post Restante will often refuse items sent by other carriers. With online orders you often have no say in which carrier is used.

10 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

Thank God they've gone to the other side. ☺️

Anyway if I get a side swipe of horrible'ness l,  then I will disappear.

Their are some lovely people on here.

Having been a previous member when times were passive aggressive with personal attacks it was not a nice place to visit at all.

It's definitely calmed down a lot.

Thank God.

• Love 1

10 hours ago, Greyladyx said:

Anyway if I get a side swipe of horrible'ness l,  then I will disappear.

Their are some lovely people on here.

Having been a previous member when times were passive aggressive with personal attacks it was not a nice place to visit at all.

It's definitely calmed down a lot.

Thank God.

Shut up you idiot!! ?

• Greenie 1

On 09/12/2018 at 13:43, Alway Swilby said:

This service does also rely on the sender using Roayl Mail or Parcelforce as the carrier. A Post Office that offers Post Restante will often refuse items sent by other carriers. With online orders you often have no say in which carrier is used.

Which is why I ask or stipulate that the sender must use Royal Mail. Also, if getting something sent to our registered address I ensure it will go through a standard letter box and doesn't need signing for, as there is no one at home during the day.

36 minutes ago, pearley said:

Which is why I ask or stipulate that the sender must use Royal Mail. Also, if getting something sent to our registered address I ensure it will go through a standard letter box and doesn't need signing for, as there is no one at home during the day.

Yes so do I. But the big online shops have their prefered carriers and often ignore such requests.

On 09/12/2018 at 13:43, Alway Swilby said:

I’ll make a note of that for future. 

But I think it must depend a lot on how good the post office staff are. My experience is varied. Can be hit or miss. 

Small village PO staff are usually very friendly and willing to accept any package. 

And some POs don’t know what poste restante is. 

POs within shops don't tend to offer the service. 

The PO I currently use has never refused a letter or parcel. 

Whilst being stuck in deep ice in Leighton Buzzard last March, with our debit and credit card running dangerously close to expiring. On top of that our batteries were coughing and spluttering and needed replacing - we desperately needed the replacement cards which had been sent to our postal address. 

We walked to the post office, slipping and sliding as we went, asking if a registered letter could be delivered for us there. Assistant said that was OK, and that she'd look out for the letter.

Letter was sent but annoyingly the 'Post Restante' was missed off the address on the envelope. The 'Registered' letter arrived safely at the post office, but the assistant who said she'd watch out for the letter, had a day off, and unfortunately, another member of staff sent the letter back to the sorting office.

We traipsed in the ice to the sorting office, who had the letter. OH actually had the envelope in his hand! But 'jobsworth' stuck firmly to the rules and wouldn't hand over the letter, despite providing him as much identity as anyone would need, including the registered number. 

The letter had to be sent back to sender.... (and that took 3 weeks!) Note the letter was opened. 

We've learnt our lesson!  

Pic taken at the sorting office!  Yes, we did complain, and as anyone who's complained to Post Office, would know they might have been complaining to smoke.

letter.jpg.4c72c0b9e86fcbc9e21cdfad31af828d.jpg

Edited by Jennifer McM

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

Yes, we did complain, and as anyone who's complained to Post Office, would know they might have been complaining to smoke.

One of our neighbours from a few doors up works at our local Royal Mail delivery office. If you met her you would possibly understand why this is.....

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is it because she is good with Post-Codes ?

Not really, she is completely devoid of any interpersonal and conversational skills, which is not exactly great for somebody who is in a customer facing role at the local delivery office.

2 minutes ago, MJG said:

Not really, she is completely devoid of any interpersonal and conversational skills, which is not exactly great for somebody who is in a customer facing role at the local delivery office.

Do you find all your neighbours are like that to some degree? :icecream:

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Do you find all your neighbours are like that to some degree? :icecream:

Not at all, we are great friends with some of them, and acquaintances of others like most roads there are a couple of @holes though.     ?

On 07/12/2018 at 12:50, Alan de Enfield said:

I have found that this is one thing that BWML (well at least our marina) are good at.

Here too. Though the system is a bit strange in that it's the onsite shop/mini chandlery which deals with the mail - AFAIK the shop has no official connection with BWML (though it also does electric cards and washing machine tokens). I don't think there is any specific limit on weight or size, but if you're getting something big then it's preferred if you can pick it up quickly (still no requirement to be there when delivery happens). It actually makes getting things delivered far easier than when I lived in a house.

• 1 month later...
On 06/12/2018 at 12:49, rusty69 said:

Fear-not. In the future there will be buildings where you can go to buy goods.These buildings will be named ...erm...shops, and these shops will be strategically placed throughout the land.

The public will be able to go into these shops, where the goods will be on display. There will be more than one of these goods, and the public will take one or more off the shelf and pay for it. They will then be able to leave the shop with the goods and take them home that very same day.

The shops will likely all be grouped together for ease of perusal and the model will replicated throughout the realm.

The future is bright........

The future is bright. Those door handles you always wanted will be delivered to the roof of your boat by drone.