Receiving Packages

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

I have found that this is one thing that BWML (well at least our marina) are good at.

We have a leisure mooring, but they are "happy to take in packages / deliveries as long as it is not too regularly".

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to go and fetch my 220Ah batteries (58kg each) from the post office, or even my solar panels.

I find the way you approach people has a direct effect on their response to you.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have found that this is one thing that BWML (well at least our marina) are good at.

We have a leisure mooring, but they are "happy to take in packages / deliveries as long as it is not too regularly".

I certainly wouldn't have wanted to go and fetch my 220Ah batteries (58kg each) from the post office, or even my solar panels.

I find the way you approach people has a direct effect on their response to you.

Makes me glad we live in Mercia, no problem with post or parcels if you are a resident, including the winter moorers, AFAIK. There’s a limit to the weight, though, 17kg I think, and if you want something seriously bulky they ask that you arrange to receive it directly from the carrier for obvious space reasons in Reception.

So Alan would have had to organise to be around when his batteries arrived.

Just now, BruceinSanity said:

Makes me glad we live in Mercia, no problem with post or parcels if you are a resident, including the winter moorers, AFAIK. There’s a limit to the weight, though, 17kg I think, and if you want something seriously bulky they ask that you arrange to receive it directly from the carrier for obvious space reasons in Reception.

The BWML residents have an 'unlimited post' allowance (and Free Pump-outs and free use of the washing machines) and all have a mailbox for 'standard mail' with 'large deliveries' kept in the office for collection.

5 hours ago, MartynG said:

I believe with some online retailers you can arrange for delivery to a post office or  a local shop which will act as a  delivery point. That  might be closer than the sorting office?

But you need to tell them when you order it, not when the Marina has refused to accept it

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I wintered last year in Barton turns. Brilliant staff, postage allowed without problem all they asked is if it were big stuff we picked it up on day of delivery. Mooring price is very reasonable a couple or three quid extra for living on a week iirc well worth it for the good service and not too many silly rules.

I do think the marina may have a point.  In our block of 150 flats we have a 24 hour concierge service.  A few years ago it was fine to have parcels stored awaiting collection.  With the huge increase of internet shopping space became a real problem and the whole reception area has had to be remodelled in order to accommodate the parcels that arrive.  At this time of year it resembles a GPO sorting office. 

We buy almost everything online these days, apart from papers and odds and ends from a corner shop.

On 06/12/2018 at 13:57, Jennifer McM said:

You've cheered me up.... :) 

Seeing that it's a rainy day... I'm going to stay home and be bl***y miserable :( Might even have a go at the satisfying game of 'spitting out dummies' ???

'Nah "you don't want to do that you get dog/cat hair on the bit you suck?

• Haha 1

I think some Marina's are not insured to store unknown parcels, as I've found.

A lot of DIY Boaters (liveaboard or Hobby Boaters),  do order flammable sundries such as thinners and volatile paints.

I can't blame them really. 

Sorry but it makes sense in a way.

Bummer I know, I can only get letters.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

I think some Marina's are not insured to store unknown parcels, as I've found.

A lot of DIY Boaters (liveaboard or Hobby Boaters),  do order flammable sundries such as thinners and volatile paints.

I can't blame them really. 

Sorry but it makes sense in a way.

Bummer I know, I can only get letters.

Another new name.

Welcome back - its been a long time.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Well not really a new name, I thought it best to let everyone who I am Mr Enfield (love your Enfield Rifle), very nice indeed.

I've been reading the forum everyday for over 12 months.  Lol quite funny really.

Tantrums

Misfits

Politics

Wanabees

And well just wollyness...

Anyway I might just 'carry on watching

Thanks for the welcome, lol

When do you start to prey and eat me lol

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes ANOTHER name (the 3rd or 4th), all slightly different, or do you not notice the x?

Yes I did, and your post I quoted implied usernames in addition to "Greylady" and "Greyladyx", hence me asking what these further names were.

At the time of asking, I believed "Brassedoff" was the same poster but someone had said no they were unrelated, hence my question .

Glx in the interim confirmed all three usenames were herself. Now you assert there may have been a forth username - what was that then?

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did say "3 or 4" but I could not be definite, but, I think there was one before BrassedOff"

I think so too but cannot for the life of me remember what. 

Brassy can you remember what username you first had? 

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think so too but cannot for the life of me remember what. 

Brassy can you remember what username you first had? 

Brassedoff

My first, But I have in the passed gotten upset and left with my tail between my legs.

At no point have I ever rejoined thus forum without making it clear who I am from the beginning. (Cut me some slack)

Those were the days 'all bright and bushy tailed about buying a narrowboat'

Well nearly three years in now.  

Guess what.

No hassle from CRT

Still on the same Batterys

I don't have a Pump out

I hate Ramblers,Cyclists and Grumpy old Fishermen.

Edited by Greyladyx
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Brassedoff

My first, But I have in the passed gotten upset and left with my tail between my legs.

Thanks. 

And i I like to think I was at least instrumental in luring you back!! 

24 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

Well nearly three years in now.  

Guess what.

No hassle from CRT

Still on the same Batterys

You’re obviously doing something wrong then... ?

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thanks. 

And i I like to think I was at least instrumental in luring you back!! 

You’re obviously doing something wrong then... ?

I am on a visitors pass only Mike,  who knows.

I've been reading your posts offline,  Santa might not be climbing down your chimney this year. Lol

2 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

I just need to stay away from the grumpy ones. Lol

Had I been more confident on the site last time I would have done more to "run interference" - I will do my best to help you more if it ever comes up again. :hug:

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, Greyladyx said:

?:hug:

I just need to stay away from the grumpy ones. Lol

They set me up for a fall last time.

I won't be at their mercy this time.

The most unpleasant ones have been ejected from the site now so it probably won’t happen again.