Receiving Packages

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

We phoned a couple of marinas when choosing one to stay for 2/3 months over winter, and one of the criteria was receiving post/courier packages. (Well it is Christmas!)

In the past, we've moored in just one marina in over 2/3 years that refused to accept a package on our behalf. 

The marina where we're moored for Dec (was thinking of staying here for Jan/Feb - but there's now a ?), said they'd receive packages on our behalf. Except now we're here, we've been told they only accept packages less than A5 size. Problem is; when buying something (like a TV digital antenna) how do we know the size of the box?  The marina's receptionist said it was something to do with being 'resident / not resident'! :( 

Anyway, we're miffed - the marina's reception refused to accept two packages for us yesterday. It cost us £20 this morning for a taxi to and from the sorting office to collect them. 

Still.... when OH returned he was accosted by a gentleman in a turban and asked if he wanted to be in a movie! :)  (Don't get that asked too many times in a lifetime).  That's where OH is now, think he's having a coffee at the waterside, while getting paid £50 as an extra in a Bollywood film.

Always a silver lining :) 

packaes.jpg.fedaf7fee307c11ad5bca25309d2fc1c.jpg

• Happy 1

Short sighted marina owners. What harm does it do to be accommodating. When in Newbury I asked for something to be delivered to Greenham Island. They refused in the grounds it would start a trend. Yeah! And your point is? It was four smallish triangular solar peel brackets.

• Greenie 1

Fear-not. In the future there will be buildings where you can go to buy goods.These buildings will be named ...erm...shops, and these shops will be strategically placed throughout the land.

The public will be able to go into these shops, where the goods will be on display. There will be more than one of these goods, and the public will take one or more off the shelf and pay for it. They will then be able to leave the shop with the goods and take them home that very same day.

The shops will likely all be grouped together for ease of perusal and the model will replicated throughout the realm.

The future is bright........

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Fear-not. In the future there will be buildings where you can go to buy goods.These buildings will be named ...erm...shops, and these shops will be strategically placed throughout the land.

The public will be able to go into these shops, where the goods will be on display. There will be more than one of these goods, and the public will take one or more off the shelf and pay for it. They will then be able to leave the shop with the goods and take them home that very same day.

The shops will likely all be grouped together for ease of perusal and the model will replicated throughout the realm.

You've cheered me up.... :) 

Now what to do to get to the shops... pay for a taxi, hire a car, or go for a long hike to catch one of the few buses a day? 

Seeing that it's a rainy day... I'm going to stay home and be bl***y miserable :( Might even have a go at the satisfying game of 'spitting out dummies' ???

• Haha 1

Just now, Jennifer McM said:

You've cheered me up.... :) 

Now what to do to get to the shops... pay for a taxi, hire a car, or go for a long hike to catch one of the few buses a day? 

Seeing that it's a rainy day... I'm going to stay home and be bl***y miserable :( Might even have a go at the satisfying game of 'spitting out dummies' ???

Thats good.

No, no you have it wrong. There will be no cars in this bright future capable of travelling a few miles before their batteries are depleted.

No, instead,these shops will be interconnected by a series of waterways. The waterways will be called ...erm...erm...canals. On these canals people shall travel in boats. The boats will need to be big enough to accommodate the packages,yet narrow enough to fit on the newly built waterways.

The boats will gather together for ease of storage in large water filled basins,named, erm, I know..yes, they will be called marinas.

The marinas will have reception areas, where staff will sit to answer questions and arrange any queries the boat owners should have. You know, selling coal, gas etc and receiving packages.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

It's a shame you are now trapped in a marina.  If you were still out cruising you could boat to the shops!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thats good.

No, no you have it wrong. There will be no cars in this bright future capable of travelling a few miles before their batteries are depleted.

No, instead,these shops will be interconnected by a series of waterways. The waterways will be called ...erm...erm...canals. On these canals people shall travel in boats. The boats will need to be big enough to accommodate the packages,yet narrow enough to fit on the newly built waterways.

The boats will gather together for ease of storage in large water filled basins,named, erm, I know..yes, they will be called marinas.

The marinas will have reception areas, where staff will sit to answer questions and arrange any queries the boat owners should have. You know, selling coal, gas etc and receiving packages.

Blimey..... when 'Oh Wise One' can we please ask would this become a reality... next Chrissy?

Edited by Jennifer McM
  • Haha 1

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

It's a shame you are now trapped in a marina.  If you were still out cruising you could boat to the shops!

Ah,we have a visionary in our company.You have seen the future too young man.

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

Blimey..... when 'Oh Wise One' may we please ask would this become a reality... next Chrissy?

You may ask anytime from next March!

• Horror 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

Ah,we have a visionary in our company.You have seen the future too young man.

More than you realise!

On 30/11/2018 at 19:10, TheBiscuits said:

Don't prepay the whole 3 months - you might hate it if you have the "water gypsy" genes.  We think 3 days in a marina is long enough.

• Haha 2

The marina where we're staying over the winter has been fine about accepting packages, up to and including a 2 metre long roll of fabric. What they don't want to do is to take letter post, for understandable reasons of residential status and permissions.

Last year at Crick, we had "gold" status, which included a pigeon-box and the ability to receive mail. We paid quite a lot extra for it.

MP.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Short sighted marina owners. What harm does it do to be accommodating.

Perhaps they are rather far-sighted owners of a marina so large that they know they'd be accepting packages for boaters all day, and doing little else?  

I sympathise with the OP's difficulty, but time is money and it is paid for by the customer. 

8 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Perhaps they are rather far-sighted owners of a marina so large that they know they'd be accepting packages for boaters all day, and doing little else?  

I sympathise with the OP's difficulty, but time is money and it is paid for by the customer. 

So charge for the service.  Signing for 5 parcels doesn't take much longer than signing for one.

It might be a planning restriction though - that's quite common for marinas that have both residential and leisure berths.

39 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Of course time is money, and we're paying quite a bit to be here (it's not the cheapest marina), plus we did ask if receiving stuff was part of the 'deal' before we booked, and they said 'yes'. 

We've been here since first thing on Saturday, and not another boat has entered for services (mind the weather's not been good granted). In fact looking around over half the moorings are empty. We're now planning to cut our stay here 2/3rds shorter. Good customer service doesn't really cost a lot, but can repay in dividends.  I must say though, except for one person, other staff are delightful here, and the facilities are brilliant.

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Can't see that ever catching on.

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Thats good.

No need for shops. In the future, there will be a series of waterways called canals, with factories and warehouses full of goods alongside. People will steer boats full of these goods from manufacturers to warehouses and customers, or you can go and pick up your goods direct from the factory, or warehouse in your boat.

• Haha 1

Just now, Jen-in-Wellies said:

No need for shops. In the future, there will be a series of waterways called canals, with factories and warehouses full of goods alongside. People will steer boats full of these goods from manufacturers to warehouses and customers, or you can go and pick up your goods direct from the factory, or warehouse in your boat.

And I thought I had a vivid imagination!

4 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

I must say though, except for one person, other staff are delightful here, and the facilities are brilliant.

If there's a link between the "except for one person" and the person who won't sign for packages I would be inclined to talk to some one up the chain of command, because it could be that they do it's just that "one person" won't. 

14 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

If there's a link between the "except for one person" and the person who won't sign for packages I would be inclined to talk to some one up the chain of command, because it could be that they do it's just that "one person" won't. 

That was my thought, I've discovered this woman is the manageress. Don't want to get anyone into trouble though. There's a younger member of staff, who's really nice and helpful, she heard our conversation and rolled her eyes behind the managers back - a well-known dragon I think. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That was my thought, I've discovered this woman is the manageress. Don't want to get anyone into trouble though. There's a younger member of staff, who's really nice and helpful, she heard our conversation and rolled her eyes behind the managers back - a well-known dragon I think. 

The other way to look at this is that it took her 4 days for you to decide you were leaving in a month, not in three months, regarding something you asked about before going into their marina in the first place.

I'd want to know about it if it was my marina.

Edited by TheBiscuits
  • Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

The other way to look at this is that it took her 4 days for you to decide you were leaving in a month, not in three months, regarding something you asked about before going into their marina in the first place.

I'd want to know about it if it was my marina.

What he said.  

I wouldn't want to get her in trouble either, but if I was the owner of the marina I would really want to know this was going on. To lose two months worth of business is not to be shrugged off.  Plus you're on here advertising the fact. 

And the likelyhood is usually you are probably not the first to leave early because she was uncooperative. 

Think of it not as you're being unkind to her but that you are helping every body else. 

• Greenie 3

I believe with some online retailers you can arrange for delivery to a post office or  a local shop which will act as a  delivery point. That  might be closer than the sorting office?

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

I believe with some online retailers you can arrange for delivery to a post office or  a local shop which will act as a  delivery point. That  might be closer than the sorting office?

And most proper Post Offices will offer the service ‘Poste Restante’. 

It’s discretionary and some Post Offices are better with it than others. 

By the way I completely understand why the marina would not accept delivery of parcels.

If everyone in a 200 boat marina did the same thing the workload for the marina may become significant.

Also imagine what people would do if the goods were found to be damaged. I am sure the marina would be at risk of being held liable and for something for which they receive no income.

If you want items for the boat delivered to the marina it would be better to order the items through the marina.  That way the marina becomes a retailer and you have the relevant consumer protection. I have done this on occasions and it has not necessarily involved any more cost compared to ordering online.