British solo yachtswoman awaits rescue after surviving Southern Ocean storm

TheBiscuits

Featured Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/05/british-solo-yachtswoman-awaits-rescue-after-surviving-southern-ocean-storm

A major rescue operation is under way in the Southern Ocean after a British solo yachtswoman was injured and and her boat “destroyed” in a fierce storm on day 157 of a circumnavigation.

Susie Goodall, the youngest competitor and only woman in the 30,000-mile Golden Globe round-the-world race, is at least two days from help after her boat overturned and lost its mast.

On ‎05‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 23:40, rowland al said:

Yep, at least she has more balls than most of us.

Now she's safe and sound perhaps she could be made an honorary bloke? OK, OK I'm going, where's me coat..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Frightening time for her I'm sure. Glad she's been picked up. 

Great to hear she is safe, and congratulations to the master of the Chinese vessel for what appears to have been a good bit of shiphandling.

Howard

1 hour ago, Joe the plumber said:

I wonder if there will now be a huge insurance claim from the Chinese ship's owners? It must have cost them a packet.

I've often wondered if it's possible for explorers to get insurance to cover them for something so potentially risky.

I doubt the ship's owners will make a claim. I think it is an accepted seafaring tradition of always offering help when life is at stake, not knowing whether you youself will next need assistance or you are in a position to offer assistance. 

3 hours ago, Joe the plumber said:

I wonder if there will now be a huge insurance claim from the Chinese ship's owners? It must have cost them a packet.

I think it’s international maritime law to assist if can,  not sure where insurance would stand.

2 hours ago, DandV said:

I doubt the ship's owners will make a claim. I think it is an accepted seafaring tradition of always offering help when life is at stake, not knowing whether you youself will next need assistance or you are in a position to offer assistance. 

It is even more than just a seafaring tradition - it is an internationally accepted obligation, backed up by law  "normally or commonly referred to as the "Law of the Sea" for a ship to go to the assistance of a ship or person in distress. As such I am sure it would not give rise to an insurance claim, for the reasons you mention, and similarly, the terms of the Charter Party would allow the rescuing ships master to claim Force Majeure against any claim against him/her by the shipper for any delay or deviation from the voyage which results in the late delivery of its cargo.

Exrcat from Solas regulations on MCGA Web Site

Regulation 33 - Distress Situations: Obligations and procedures

Summary

• Masters obliged to respond to information that persons are in distress at sea received from any source.
  • Ships can be requisitioned by the master of a ship in distress or the search and rescue authorities.
  • Rescued persons to be treated humanely and delivered to a place of safety.
Regulation 33
1. The master of a ship at sea which is in a position to be able to provide assistance on receiving information from any source that persons are in distress at sea, is bound to proceed with all speed to their assistance, if possible informing them or the search and rescue service that the ship is doing so. This obligation to provide assistance applies regardless of the nationality or status of such persons or the circumstances in which they are found. If the ship receiving the distress alert is unable or, in the special circumstances of the case, considers it unreasonable or unnecessary to proceed to their assistance, the master must enter in the log-book the reason for failing to proceed to the assistance of the persons in distress, taking into account the recommendation of the Organization, to inform the appropriate search and rescue service accordingly.

Contracting Governments shall co-ordinate and co-operate to ensure that masters of ships providing assistance by embarking persons in distress at sea are released from their obligations with minimum further deviation from the ships' intended voyage, provided that releasing the master of the ship from the obligations under the current regulation does not further endanger the safety of life at sea. The Contracting Government responsible for the search and rescue region in which such assistance is rendered shall exercise primary responsibility for ensuring such co-ordination and co-operation occurs, so that survivors assisted are disembarked from the assisting ship and delivered to a place of safety, taking into account the particular circumstances of the case and guidelines developed by the Organization. In these cases the relevant Contracting Governments shall arrange for such disembarkation to be effected as soon as reasonably practicable.
2. The master of a ship in distress or the search and rescue service concerned, after consultation, so far as may be possible, with the masters of ships which answer the distress alert, has the right to requisition one or more of those ships as the master of the ship in distress or the search and rescue service considers best able to render assistance, and it shall be the duty of the master or masters of the ship or ships requisitioned to comply with the requisition by continuing to proceed with all speed to the assistance of persons in distress.
3. Masters of ships shall be released from the obligation imposed by paragraph 1 on learning that their ships have not been requisitioned and that one or more other ships have been requisitioned and are complying with the requisition. This decision shall, if possible be communicated to the other requisitioned ships and to the search and rescue service.
4. The master of a ship shall be released from the obligation imposed by paragraph 1 and, if his ship has been requisitioned, from the obligation imposed by paragraph 2 on being informed by the persons in distress or by the search and rescue service or by the master of another ship which has reached such persons that assistance is no longer necessary.
5. The provisions of this regulation do not prejudice the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules of Law Relating to Assistance and Salvage at Sea, signed at Brussels on 23 September 1910, particularly the obligation to render assistance imposed by article 11 of that Convention.*

Masters of ships who have embarked persons in distress at sea shall treat them with humanity, within the capabilities and limitations of the ship.

* International Convention on Salvage 1989 done at London on 28 April 1989 entered into force on 14 July 1996

Howard

Edited by howardang

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I think it’s international maritime law to assist if can,  not sure where insurance would stand.

When we moved the Cat down from Hull to Plymouth, as we were passing Clacton we heard a DSC 'mayday' call, it was a capsized fishing boat.

It appeared we were about 10 miles South of it so it would have taken us a couple of hours to respond. We started to turn, but the Coastguard / life boat responded and they would be there much quicker than we could, so we continued on our route.

image.png.edcc9780759eab2109c1c54d31060a33.png

From the Log :

20/6/18 Time 07:00 DSC Alarm, Boat capsize, two in water, 10 miles behind, unable to respond in time, others searching.

The previous afternoon we had been stopped and boarded by the 'Border Patrol' checking we had no 'illegals' on board.

From the Log :

19/6/18 Time 16:00 Stopped By Border Patrol Boat & PoB checked.

Quite an exciting trip.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

She was picked up the the MV Tian Su, which was diverted by the Chilean coastguard.  They had to use the ship's deck crane to puck her off her boat, as it was too rough to launch a sea-boat.  Now on the way to a port in northern Argentina.  A very slow vessel and ETA is about 21st/22nd December.

14 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Does seem to be taking a slow passage. I realised she'd been picked up. 

That's what I thought.  Her original EDA was 17th December but the diversion added to this.  She's a 40,000 ton general cargo/bulker type.  Destination is Madryn which I know nothing about other than location.

5 hours ago, Grebe said:

She was picked up the the MV Tian Su, which was diverted by the Chilean coastguard.  They had to use the ship's deck crane to puck her off her boat, as it was too rough to launch a sea-boat.  Now on the way to a port in northern Argentina.  A very slow vessel and ETA is about 21st/22nd December.

Is it this one https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/shipid:3727266/zoom:10  Tian Fu