Scruffy Dawncraft 25 project boat - Should I buy?

SuperKev

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That is the kind of next project i want, its wood but as you know i am a glutten for punishment lol dam fine boat that. 

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

£500 in the Preston area - I reckon it's down at Douglas Marine or at Tarleton. 

Wouldn't fit on your drive though!

Hes gonna need a bigger b̶o̶a̶t̶  drive.

Edited by rusty69

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

£500 in the Preston area - I reckon it's down at Douglas Marine or at Tarleton. 

Wouldn't fit on your drive though!

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Hes gonna need a bigger b̶o̶a̶t̶  drive.

It will fit just nice, max i can get is 40 foot as neeed space for her dam car, how selfish lol. I shown it T and all i got was the look, you know `THE look` lol 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, W+T said:

It will fit just nice, max i can get is 40 foot as neeed space for her dam car, how selfish lol. I shown it T and all i got was the look, you know `THE look` lol 

Well that was your first mistake.Wait til shes gone out.It will be a nice surprise on the driveway on her return.....especially if you wrap it up in xmas paper:)

Edited by rusty69
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have just had the same look from MrsBiscuit because I was looking at boats for sale. Again.

I promised her it was OK because I'm looking on behalf of someone else ...

Its not so bad internet viewing, its when you start to go looking. Last years browsing ended up with me and Mrs Rusty looking at a catamaran in the pissing rain on a freezing february morning. SHe wouldn't let me buy it though:mellow:

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its not so bad internet viewing, its when you start to go looking. Last years browsing ended up with me and Mrs Rusty looking at a catamaran in the pissing rain on a freezing february morning. SHe wouldn't let me buy it though:mellow:

Interent shopping does my head in, i find boats and i know i cant have them. I find so many, mainly wooden as they have a different and very boaty looking boats if you know what i mean. 

Yes and i have messed up as the next big project is the house in new year. BUT then i am let loose when my boat is done, i say my boat as i havnt named it properly yet as i am Captain Faffer, orders of Mrs Faffer lol.

• Haha 1

On 05/12/2018 at 17:34, SuperKev said:

Hi,

My name is Kevin, and I am strongly considering buying a Dawncraft 25 as a weekend cruiser for me and my wife.

I have no prior boating experience bar a few trips on a friends narrowboat, but I have good DIY skills, plenty of experience roughing it on camping holidays and a lot of enthusiasm! 

The boat in question is currently moored on the Leeds Liverpool canal, which I live a stones throw away from. I have walked past the boat a few times, it looks quite scruffy and unloved, the pram cover is ripped and full of holes, but otherwise intact. Having exchanged a few emails with the owner, he tells me it is a early 1980's build.  He bought it as a project boat himself but could not find the time and now wants rid of it. It has a 8hp Honda Outboard fitted inboard, there are no electrics, some gas pipework but no cooker etc.  Is has a 12 month mooring but this expires at the end of this month (December) . It is licensed to the end of February 19 and the Safety Certificate is valid until September 2022. he is asking £1500

I am planning to meet the owner next week and take a look inside. I have multiple concerns & questions.

I have read through the CRT website and my interpretation is that I would not inherit the mooring from the seller. Thus I would have a boat with no mooring, and i understand it is not easy to find one in my local area. With the amount of work I expect needs doing, It will likely be 1-2 years before its completed, thus should I try to find another local mooring? I have a large front garden which could accommodate the boat, thus should I have it lifted out of the canal and transported and parked in my garden to make the repair work much more convenient to undertake ? 

Any pointers as to what I should look for when I get to see the boat? Any specific questions I should ask? Do boats have such a thing as a service history?

Thanks in advance

Kevin.

if you wanted to buy it id happily fix the boat up while i shift it round the entire canal network for you for a few years - free of charge of course :) im kind like that (said with a smirk across my face)

4 minutes ago, harrybsmith said:

There's a Dawncraft 27 that's just become for sale on the Dawncraft Owners Facebook group that seems to be a really good bet. There's also a 25 on Apolloduck for £250 that would be a serious project. 

this one at £3500 ono

48045728_555448848202343_220967467566183

3 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

There's a Dawncraft 27 that's just become for sale on the Dawncraft Owners Facebook group that seems to be a really good bet. There's also a 25 on Apolloduck for £250 that would be a serious project. 

Thanks, I'll take a look at both

3 hours ago, W+T said:

this one at £3500 ono

48045728_555448848202343_220967467566183

A nice looking boat but I'm not so keen on the center cockpit idea.

I am am now about 1/3 of the way through your build thread, and am amazed and inspired by the work you have done. I noticed you have bought an FTO. This made me smile as I owned red FTO GPX back in 1998 (before kids arrived). It was a fantastic car, I really loved it and had several years of fun with it until I smashed it into a BMW on the M25. It was off the road for 3 months while they shipped in parts from Japan. Had to sell it afterwards as my insurance renewal was silly money. 

Often considered buying another one as they can be had for a few hundred quid now, but the Mrs won't allow it!

4 hours ago, harrybsmith said:

Yep, had a look at that one, no pictures of the interior but I can only assume that it is pretty bad and would need gutting. A bit too serious for me I think!