Alternator not charging quickly enough

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Compared to a Fluke? No, of course not. As a guide to what current is flowing where within a boat? It’s plenty good enough. 

A review at random (first one I found):

https://youtu.be/r7QjTEE2Sn0

he was working in milli amps. I did see another review earlier where the test was 2 - 5 amps and was near enough but did fluctuate. Would be interested to know how it fairs when checking the alternator output at high(er) amps?

22 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

he was working in milli amps. I did see another review earlier where the test was 2 - 5 amps and was near enough but did fluctuate. Would be interested to know how it fairs when checking the alternator output at high(er) amps?

Good test and long-term reliability thread here. Am going to order one now.  Apologies if it appears I'm hijacking the OP's thread but thought better than starting a new one.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

4 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Good test and long-term reliability thread here. Am going to order one now.  Apologies if it appears I'm hijacking the OP's thread but thought better than starting a new one.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/a-look-at-the-uni-t-ut210e/

Note that only goes up to 100A DC.  This may or may not be enough for way you want to measure.

My 12V 3000W inverter can pull > 300A fully loaded and spiking.

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Note that only goes up to 100A DC.  This may or may not be enough for way you want to measure.

My 12V 3000W inverter can pull > 300A fully loaded and spiking.

Thanks, but from what I can see, it's the only one they do that measures DC and also at low (2) amps

Thanks, but from what I can see, it's the only one they do that measures DC and also at low (2) amps

Yeah, the other Uni-T goes to 200A if memory serves, but doesn’t have a 2A range. 

The 2A range has ~1mA accuracy - next to useless for boat electrics unless you are doing a fancy electronic system.

@WotEver should be able to tell you which model the other UNI-T is that is good for boats if you don't want both.

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

The 2A range has ~1mA accuracy - next to useless for boat electrics unless you are doing a fancy electronic system.

@WotEver should be able to tell you which model the other UNI-T is that is good for boats if you don't want both.

204A. Up to 600A

https://www.tester.co.uk/uni-t-ut204a-digital-clamp-meter?gclid=Cj0KCQiAi57gBRDqARIsABhDSMoQXZlz3Udq6H6o4TF0rCmcMBUz1pgK8WS4hFTLi67Kl_vBhI1tc5AaAtupEALw_wcB

Or the UT203 does up to 400A. That’s the one I have but I believe it’s now discontinued. 

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Already ordered the 210E on Amazon. Can't imagine I'd go anywhere near 100 amps as for alternator testing and general usage. Surely a milliamp or 10 out won't be an issue?

7 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Already ordered the 210E on Amazon. Can't imagine I'd go anywhere near 100 amps as for alternator testing and general usage. Surely a milliamp or 10 out won't be an issue?

Aha! I just managed to cancel the order before dispatch so taking your advice and going for the 204A. Bigger clamp as well. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Markinaboat said:

Sorry, I was unclear.

The 100A range goes -100A to +100A, with a resolution of ~0.1A

That's more accurate than you need for most boat electrics.

The -2A to +2A range with a resolution of 0.001A

That accuracy is for electronics, not alternators!

Note that quite a few boats have 175A alternators as standard.  If yours is less than 100A and you don't have an inverter bigger than 1kW or so you will be fine.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sorry, I was unclear.

The 100A range goes -100A to +100A, with a resolution of ~0.1A

That's more accurate than you need for most boat electrics.

The -2A to +2A range with a resolution of 0.001A

That accuracy is for electronics, not alternators!

Note that quite a few boats have 175A alternators as standard.  If yours is less than 100A and you don't have an inverter bigger than 1kW or so you will be fine.

Thanks - so will the 204A be able to measure amps being drawn as well as output from 1amp upwards? Haven't clicked the 'buy' button yet.

I have several of these and my UNI-T UT203 is FAR nicer to use than any of the small ones like the UT210E. The jaws are bigger, the selector knob is nicer to use, the display isn't sideways and the leads plug into the face not the bottom edge. 

And finally the UT203 uses proper batteries (AAA IIRC) while the UT210E uses three stoopid button cells that cost a fiver each in a shop if you need new ones in a hurry.

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I have several of these and my UNI-T UT203 is FAR nicer to use than any of the small ones like the UT210E. The jaws are bigger, the selector knob is nicer to use, the display isn't sideways and the leads plug into the face not the bottom edge. 

And finally the UT203 uses proper batteries (AAA IIRC) while the UT210E uses three stoopid button cells that cost a fiver each in a shop if you need new ones in a hurry.

I expect @TheBiscuits still uses his trusty AVO from the 80s:) erm, i meant 50s

Edited by rusty69

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I still use my Avo on a regular basis. I like the swingy needle, parallax mirror, chunky dials...

And the mahoosive, near-shoebox size of the thing!!

But I agree, they are lovely things to use compared to a cheapo DVM.