Canal genealogy help

AMModels

Featured Posts

Hoping Jeannie sees this one, a Richard Porter, b Basingstoke 1796  d. Weston 1878 listed on a couple of census at Wharves as a boatman, hes my gt gt gt grandfather, different line to the known boatmen in my family.  Was his family off the boats or the bank, struggling to find his early years.

The other line has raised a query too, James Bates and Susannah along with their kids are recorded in 1891 on two boats at Rounds Wharf Tividale one being Vulcan the other is not clearly legible but looks similar to Linda maybe, wondering who Vulcan was owned by and if there are any records that show it working together with another boat regularly, a long long shot I know but worth asking. Here is the entry or at least the interesting part for me.

bate-s.png

Edited by AMModels

In the absence of anyone who has better information than me I can confirm that I can't find anything to answer the question but are you aware that Susannah Bates was the sister of Samuel Barlow? That may be a clue as to where to look if you haven't yet done that.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Thanks CP, yes I have the Bates side back to Barlows, finding a boatman on my nans side was a surprise. Granddad worked for Essy for a while, playing on the family name I believe but my nans side was always a bit of a mystery and then to find this link as well... 

1 minute ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

There is a Richard Porter in 1851 Census @ Weston age 55 occupation Boatman he poss married twice in 1843 in fenny Stratford to a Mary who died in Weson in 1842 he then marries a year later again in Weston to a Mira  or Mirian Barnes 

Hi Jeannie hope you are well, thats the chap, the last wife is Mira Barnes.  I wondered if there were any earlier records of him or his parents contained in any other trees you may have? 

Hello Andy

A joint effort from my records & look ups from a friend = We could find no more Canal Boatmen following on from Richard direct family in his Children or Grandchildren .

Neither of the 2 wives show any connections .

His father George porter was a Nail maker & his Wife Martha appears to be a housewife. 

However i am still following up on the 17 year old lad John who was with Richard whilst he was a boatman as i am almost sure he came from a long line of Boatmen

linked to a lot of my Coventry family & connections .So will look into a connection there 

I will continue to search for you & let you know when i find more as the Coventry lot are big family,s with lots of connections to look into .

Some of my boating family to this day never found the need to learn to read or write so i have to rely on the phone & their memories

Jeannette

• Love 1