Seeking a hire boat holiday with trad stern & engine room

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

32 minutes ago, dm6045 said:

Ive seen it out and about a couple of times and in the marina with a sign on the roof but its the only one ive seen so I think they only have the one. They also do training courses on it aparently so  I was told by one set of hirers i came across. It certainly looked very smart I wouldnt have noticed it was a hire boat until they told me. I seem to remember when i looked them up online before they had more information about it the boat i think it was a 4 berth (boatmans cabin and fixed double) so maybe they're updating the site? From what  I was told they don't hire to first timers unless they have taken one of their full training courses first. (Probably why it looked as spotless as it did!)

I can't immediately see any reference to number of berths on their site - there isn't a lot f detail, or even pictures f any berts I can immediately see.

However I have now looked at the booking form, which has pace to enter the names of four "other" guests in addition to the person making the booking, so arguably it may have accommodation for 5, I guess.  An odd thing not to spell out very explicitly - it's usually the first thing a hire company will say about any particular boat, surely?

17 hours ago, dm6045 said:

http://www.narrowboatescapes.co.uk

Have  a trad with engine room and back cabin based at Braunston marina. V smart looking boat.

For such a nice looking boat, the pricing seems unbelievably low.

A weeks hire at peak rate in August lists as £1,100.  Looking at (for example) Wyvern Shipping, who operate on the same canal, their prices are £1,465 for their mot basic 2/4 berth boats, up to £2,230 for their most expensive, (although these admittedly will have far more berths).  A massive difference, though I've not looked at the fine detail of what is excluded and excluded for each firm.

£1,100 seems stonking good value by comparison, even if it proves to be 4 berths maximum.  If I wanted to hire, I'd certainly look at this one, though I would be wondering why they are not asking more