Calor Gas Prices - Increases December 10th

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Nice to see that Dave Peacock has found a new job now that Chas has passed away.

So, I guess that this would add a pound or so to the cost of a standard 13-size bottle? That will hardly affect us as we use only about a bottle per year, but it will be costlier for liveaboards, especially if they have gas central heating.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Nice to see that Dave Peacock has found a new job now that Chas has passed away.

So, I guess that this would add a pound or so to the cost of a standard 13-size bottle? That will hardly affect us as we use only about a bottle per year, but it will be costlier for liveaboards, especially if they have gas central heating.

It may affect the price of a 13k cylinder by a 'bit' more.

We are a 'bulk buyer' with a large (1000s litres) tank and generally the smaller the purchase unit the greater the percentage of increase (example a 13kg cylinder at around £25 and a 47kg cylinder were at £65.)

Our 47kg cylinders have just recently gone up by £10 to £75.

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Think yourself lucky. 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottles are around £32!

Ouch. When we first got our boat, we ditched the 2.7Kg for the 4.5Kg. For some reason the boat has two gas lockers, one for each size. I appreciate not all boats will.

10 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ouch. When we first got our boat, we ditched the 2.7Kg for the 4.5Kg. For some reason the boat has two gas lockers, one for each size. I appreciate not all boats will.

Are you using the 4.5kg (Butane) or just a 3.9kg Propane ?

Still very expensive (I have both a blowtorch and the horse shower on 3.9kg cylinders) at around £17 / £18

Also :

"The Cat" (being French built) has gas lockers for the 2.7kg Gaz, but the 2.9Kg Calor propane fit in OK. We only get thru a couple per season so its not the end of the world.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Calor have gone up several times in the last few months, not always informing of the rise.

It wouldnt be so bad if they had full stock of all cylinders but quite a few are non-existent now and Caolr do not know when or if they will be able to re-stock. Patio (BBQ) gas ran out the 2nd week in May and only became available again late October.!!

As for the satisfaction ratings - they havn't heard the last from our local standards of delivery champion, Excuse after replaced Customer Service Manager after Excuse....:D

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you using the 4.5kg (Butane) or just a 3.9kg Propane ?

Still very expensive (I have both a blowtorch and the horse shower on 3.9kg cylinders) at around £17 / £18

We use both, depending on availability. There was a shortage of 4.5 Kg butane last year, so we used propane instead. Last butane I bought was about 18 quid.

How many horsepower does a horseshower take?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Our gas locker is designed to take two 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottles. 

The stubby 4.5kg Calor bottles don't fit sadly.

Fortunately we only use a couple of bottles a year!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our gas locker is designed to take two 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottles. 

The stubby 4.5kg Calor bottles don't fit sadly.

Fortunately we only use a couple of bottles a year!

Pity.Even the smaller propane would likely be cheaper than those Gaz ones.

11 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Think yourself lucky. 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottles are around £32!

I think I paid £35 for each of  the last two 907 refills.

There is so little gas in a 907 an increase in the gas cost per litre should hopefully make no difference to the retail price . As may have been said before the price of a 907 refill has nothing much to do with the price of gas.

I have only seen one supplier who offers a lower price but unfortunately they are a long way from me 

https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/shop/campingaz/campingaz-r-907/

21 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I think I paid £35 for each of  the last two 907 refills.

There is so little gas in a 907 an increase in the gas cost per litre should hopefully make no difference to the retail price . As may have been said before the price of a 907 refill has nothing much to do with the price of gas.

I have only seen one supplier who offers a lower price but unfortunately they are a long way from me 

https://chorleybottlegas.co.uk/shop/campingaz/campingaz-r-907/

Our local camping store Go Outdoors used to be the cheapest place for us to get a refill. They used to be £35 but with the store discount card that came down the £30.

They have recently upped their prices to £40 and £35 with the discount card so not worth us going there anymore.

Oddly the cheapest for us is currently Burton Waters at £32 a bottle.

compared with lpg on forecourt they are indeed extortionate even before this rise.  With this type of price rise and the likely rise in diesel by 50 p per litre if you lug it from a garage and probably 70 p per litre from marina pumps this boating lark is getting expensive.

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I guess retailers of bottle gas may ask whatever they wish. I suspect it is the gas supplier who is making the real money.

Gas retailers buy at RRP less an agreed / negotiated discount and they sell at a minimum of RRP. If they are found selling below RRP then their agreement is cancelled.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Wholesale diesel is dropping below 60ppl at last this week so the price of red should drop below 80 pence again for zero rated purchases.

The gas is indeed a cartel style arrangement.

As far as road diesel goes, I drove up to Blackpool last weekend and the first garage(Shell, Shardlow) I stopped at on the A50 was at £1.55 on the pump and £1.54 on the illuminated road sign.

The lady said oh, would I like the lower price.........

I purchased 5 litres (enough to get me to Stoke Tesco where I filled up at £1.26. 

35 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Wholesale diesel is dropping below 60ppl at last this week so the price of red should drop below 80 pence again for zero rated purchases.

The gas is indeed a cartel style arrangement.

As far as road diesel goes, I drove up to Blackpool last weekend and the first garage(Shell, Shardlow) I stopped at on the A50 was at £1.55 on the pump and £1.54 on the illuminated road sign.

The lady said oh, would I like the lower price.........

I purchased 5 litres (enough to get me to Stoke Tesco where I filled up at £1.26. 

It has been 75 pence per litre at our marina for domestic red diesel for quite a long time. Since April 2017 according to my records.

ETA: We have certainly noticed a huge drop in the price of petrol on the forecourts in the last few weeks. £114.9 at our local Tesco store this morning. The same petrol station was at £129.9 a few weeks ago!

Edited by Naughty Cal

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Our local camping store Go Outdoors used to be the cheapest place for us to get a refill. They used to be £35 but with the store discount card that came down the £30.

They have recently upped their prices to £40 and £35 with the discount card so not worth us going there anymore.

Oddly the cheapest for us is currently Burton Waters at £32 a bottle.

It really does show how expensive that is when i'm paying £32 for a 19kg Propane from Calor (Just gone up from £30) or £27 for the size in Flogas delivered!

23 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

No doubt Camping Gaz will sieze on this as the perfect opportunity to increase their already stupidly over inflated prices as well :angry:

Camping Gaz have always been a rip off despite the fact that they are refilled at the same source as Calor & Flowgas etc.

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It has been 75 pence per litre at our marina for domestic red diesel for quite a long time. Since April 2017 according to my records.

ETA: We have certainly noticed a huge drop in the price of petrol on the forecourts in the last few weeks. £114.9 at our local Tesco store this morning. The same petrol station was at £129.9 a few weeks ago!

Good golly miss molly. 

We are paying around 115 p here not £115!

• Haha 1