Sweaty old fittings...

Featured Posts

Hello all, 

When we moved aboard 19 months ago we removed the old pump out tank and sealed off the skin fittings. They are now sweating as water condensates on them and causing damp. Without removing them is the best solution to insulate them somehow? 

If so, what would be best to use? 

Cheers muchly! 

R

17 minutes ago, RichardtheGardener said:

Hello all, 

When we moved aboard 19 months ago we removed the old pump out tank and sealed off the skin fittings. They are now sweating as water condensates on them and causing damp. Without removing them is the best solution to insulate them somehow? 

If so, what would be best to use? 

Cheers muchly! 

R

Have used Sprayfoam Insulation for that Job.Aerosol Can.Works best Sprayed on to a  damp Surface.

Edited by cereal tiller

On 04/12/2018 at 08:04, roland elsdon said:

Make cardboard square round them then foam spray  over the fitting. Remove cardboard trim off the expanded bit from where you sprayed.

You mean remove the cardboard before or after the foam has cured? Either way won't the foam stick to the cardboard? I've found it sticks to everything. The only way I know to stop it sticking to things is to smear them with a thin film of vasaline. 

Edited by blackrose

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Wont the clingfillum stick to it?

No, it comes off fairly easily but does leave the foam with an almost shiny surface. I've not done this for many years so i suppose the formulation of cling film might have changed.

If the ops pipe stubs are within a hole cut in the lining then a handful of fibre type insulation stuffed in there will be quite adequate, and easily removed if any welding is needed in the future.

.............Dave

• Greenie 1