Comments on boat for sale

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

On 04/12/2018 at 11:11, dmr said:

If it really is 71'6"" then I would say that's a bit too long, especially if you are inexperienced and/or single handed. Quite a few locks will be very difficult and one or two will be impossible. The risk of accidents in locks will be increased.

By selecting a boat of more than 60 foot you are ruling out some Northern canals so its sad to rule out even more.

I write here as someone who has spent the last ten years cruising extensively in a boat that is 70'8"" long.

................Dave

Just out of interest does anyone know off the top of their head which northern widebeam waterways would be ruled out by a 60ft x 12ft boat?

42 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Just out of interest does anyone know off the top of their head which northern widebeam waterways would be ruled out by a 60ft x 12ft boat?

33 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

Just the Calder & Hebble I think.. 

I'm no expert on those waterways, but I am not sure the Huddersfield Broad Canal would be OK for those dimensions - or would it?

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

You wouldn't get through Linton Lock on the Ouse north of York. And I think the River Derwent and the Pocklington Canal would be off limits too.

Edited by Alway Swilby

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If you can't get up the Calder and Hebble, then the point is rather academic surely.

This is true!

However it remains a valid (but it seems quite useless!) answer to the question asked!

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Just the Calder & Hebble I think.. 

I bet you could do some of it going uphill from Wakefield. 

You won't be able to shut the gates on a couple of the locks, so hope you can reverse it well. 

If it's the Broom you are thinking of, it might fit backwards... 

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I bet you could do some of it going uphill from Wakefield. 

You won't be able to shut the gates on a couple of the locks, so hope you can reverse it well. 

If it's the Broom you are thinking of, it might fit backwards... 

Not a Broom.

1 hour ago, Alway Swilby said:

You wouldn't get through Linton Lock on the Ouse north of York. And I think the River Derwent and the Pocklington Canal would be off limits too.

According to the CRT dimensions Linton Lock is 65ft x 15ft.

Is that not the case?

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

There were people watching, so it was almost bound to happen!

The "one idiot" part of the title is unkind - it was obviously a windy day and those boats are very light compared with narrowboats.

That looks a lot more like water flow than wind problems to me - and I have regularly driven GRP cruisers in windy conditions.

I think the flow trapped them against the bridge - they seemed to be under reasonable control when they are leaving.

Getting the yacht stuck is just bad judgement though!

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Keep an eye on air draught if you are going that route.  Not usually a problem with broads cruisers after their first trip under that tiny bridge... 

It is only an idea at present. And we have plenty of time to change our mind as we have just remortgaged the house to pay it off quicker so we are staying put for at least the next three years.

But I am being very drawn to these at the moment:

http://newandusedboat.co.uk/new-boats-for-sale/192

Now I know they are not everyone's cup of tea but I quite like the living space that they give and we can make the outside space more cruiser like to suit what we like.

The waterways we would usually cruise on are all well suited to big boats, that is what they were designed for.

Liam is still leaning towards the Broads boat idea. And in many ways I do agree with him and the Alphacraft 35 Highliner would suit us well but something just keeps drawing me towards those pig ugly widebeams as a liveaboard. 

European-style barges are better looking, but this one probably offers more in the way of living space. If you intend actually to move around on it, as I expect you do, those non-tumblehome sides might cause a bit of grief when passing through bridges, but no boat is perfect.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

European-style barges are better looking, but this one probably offers more in the way of living space. If you intend actually to move around on it, as I expect you do, those non-tumblehome sides might cause a bit of grief when passing through bridges, but no boat is perfect.

Agreed, and if you move onto slightly smaller canals like the L&L, those forward cabin corners are beggars for catching on bridgeholes.

They are fine as a floating flat, and obviously wouldn't snag on much on the A&C or the rivers, but I personally don't like the too-squared stern or the cabin shape at the bow.

A similar size boat with a bit more cabin shape taper and a rounder stern would be OK though.

18 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

A similar size boat with a bit more cabin shape taper and a rounder stern would be OK though.

Quite so. I'm sure that there are handsomer ones, but I found this after a short search.

dutch barge.jpg

43 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Agreed, and if you move onto slightly smaller canals like the L&L, those forward cabin corners are beggars for catching on bridgeholes.

They are fine as a floating flat, and obviously wouldn't snag on much on the A&C or the rivers, but I personally don't like the too-squared stern or the cabin shape at the bow.

The square stern is ideal to fit some snap davits for the dinghy.

Not a fan of the replica dutch barges as they never quite seem to grasp the originals shapely curves. Only ever seen one that was convincing,  The Angel Hardy. But she was a pricey little ship and would be well out of the budget.