Comments on boat for sale

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

This boat was advertised around July this year and I did view her myself in September when back in UK. Although I did not place an offer I noted that that was a sale agreed placed very shortly after. As it has again appeared on apolloduck still with sale agreed I am wondering what may have happened in the meantime.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=565121

Also this is the first and only boat I have viewed and I thought It appropriately priced and in the range I was looking for a permanent cruiser live aboard for retirement. However with very limited experience I would be very interested in other more experienced views to assist me in fine tuning my viewing skills as I intend to keep looking for a 70’ with vintage engine and boatman’s cabin.

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers Mick

Only two comments, there are insufficient details for more.

The Morso stove is in a less than good position,  near the front of the saloon it will heat little of the boat and its location on the starboard side leaves the chimney vulnerable to damage  from overhanging trees when sailing on the conventional side of a canal.

A cross bed is the least suitable for anyone over 5ft 6in tall, known as the curse of the Devil amongs boaters.

Edited by Boater Sam
added more

1 hour ago, Boater Sam said:

Only two comments, there are insufficient details for more.

1) The Morso stove is in a less than good position,  near the front of the saloon it will heat little of the boat and its location on the starboard side leaves the chimney vulnerable to damage  from overhanging trees when sailing on the conventional side of a canal.

2) A cross bed is the least suitable for anyone over 5ft 6in tall, known as the curse of the Devil amongs boaters.

1) Agreed, we had one and had to be constantly aware of positioning going under arched bridges and close to trees on the off-side.

2) Disagree - I am 6 foot and had a cross bed and 'comfortably' fitted. I do tend to sleep slightly 'knees bent' but do like to occasionally stretch and 'point my toes' which meant slightly encroaching onto SWMBOs side of the bed. However a cross-bed allows you to have a full king-size bed ( a lengthways bed can only be a 4 footer if you allow for the 'corridor)

The sale was agreed , however a slow moving house sale chain delayed the process,  which the seller didn't mind. The house sale has now completed so the boat is now sold.

Lovely boat inside, the price took into account that the paintwork will need some rectification soon if not a full repaint in the next few years. Engine starts on the button first time and sounds great. 

I know this as it is moored against me.☺

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1) Agreed, we had one and had to be constantly aware of positioning going under arched bridges and close to trees on the off-side.

2) Disagree - I am 6 foot and had a cross bed and 'comfortably' fitted. I do tend to sleep slightly 'knees bent' but do like to occasionally stretch and 'point my toes' which meant slightly encroaching onto SWMBOs side of the bed. However a cross-bed allows you to have a full king-size bed ( a lengthways bed can only be a 4 footer if you allow for the 'corridor)

2) Yes, but a pullout extension is possible on a long bed or you can have 2 beds, can't have 2 cross beds or there is not 2 escape routes.

8 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

2) Yes, but a pullout extension is possible on a long bed or you can have 2 beds, can't have 2 cross beds or there is not 2 escape routes.

The ideal way is to have a proper boat that has the beam to allow you to have a queen sized bed with access both sides.

(I've given up on skinny boats)

Versatility-35-28.jpg

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Point two is not quite right Alan. My bed is four feet four inches wide so not far from full size and no problems passing that anyone would notice.

2 hours ago, Mick in Bangkok said:

This boat was advertised around July this year and I did view her myself in September when back in UK. Although I did not place an offer I noted that that was a sale agreed placed very shortly after. As it has again appeared on apolloduck still with sale agreed I am wondering what may have happened in the meantime.

https://www.apolloduck.com/boat.phtml?id=565121

Also this is the first and only boat I have viewed and I thought It appropriately priced and in the range I was looking for a permanent cruiser live aboard for retirement. However with very limited experience I would be very interested in other more experienced views to assist me in fine tuning my viewing skills as I intend to keep looking for a 70’ with vintage engine and boatman’s cabin.

Any comments would be welcome.

Cheers Mick

There is another Stenson for sale on the Duck. Its 66 foot with a lister and boatmans cabin etc. The boat is maintained to within an inch of its life in superb condition and polished daily. £52,500

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Point two is not quite right Alan. My bed is four feet four inches wide so not far from full size and no problems passing that anyone would notice.

Same here, our mattress is  4ft 3in and we have a small gap on the none corridor side to tuck in sheets. The corridor is still wider than the shower room door and no one gets stuck in there.

It was a cross bed when we bought the boat, it lasted 3 months before I ripped it all out because it made me cross banging my head on one gunwale and stubbing my toes on the other. Made Energetic bedtime maneuvers difficult too.

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

It was a cross bed when we bought the boat, it lasted 3 months before I ripped it all out because it made me cross banging my head on one gunwale and stubbing my toes on the other

Ah, that is why they are called cross beds. I did wonder. 

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Point two is not quite right Alan. My bed is four feet four inches wide so not far from full size

The problem is as the years have gone by, we are now both slightly over 'full size' and both 'sleep warm' so need a bit of an 'air gap' between us, its got be at least a 5-footer to be comfortable.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

....................so not far from full size and no problems passing

Does it bring tears to your eyes ?

Lucky To Be Alive.jpg

• Haha 1

If it really is 71'6"" then I would say that's a bit too long, especially if you are inexperienced and/or single handed. Quite a few locks will be very difficult and one or two will be impossible. The risk of accidents in locks will be increased.

By selecting a boat of more than 60 foot you are ruling out some Northern canals so its sad to rule out even more.

I write here as someone who has spent the last ten years cruising extensively in a boat that is 70'8"" long.

................Dave

16 minutes ago, dmr said:

If it really is 71'6"" then I would say that's a bit too long, especially if you are inexperienced and/or single handed. Quite a few locks will be very difficult and one or two will be impossible. The risk of accidents in locks will be increased.

Out of curiosity, and assuming you are talking about only locks designed for a full length narrow boat, which locks are impossible with a 71' 6" boat?

We are gauged at 71' 8", and although some have been very tight, we have yet to find one we can't get in our out of...

... well based on length, anyway - we now know of one where we can't get in based on width!

I do agree, however, that not exceeding (say 70 feet) makes life easier.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem is as the years have gone by, we are now both slightly over 'full size' and both 'sleep warm' so need a bit of an 'air gap' between us, its got be at least a 5-footer to be comfortable.

Does it bring tears to your eyes ?

Ah, fat boat syndrome, body expands to fill the space available.

Edited by Boater Sam
Adjust text box

20 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Out of curiosity, and assuming you are talking about only locks designed for a full length narrow boat, which locks are impossible with a 71' 6" boat?

We are gauged at 71' 8", and although some have been very tight, we have yet to find one we can't get in our out of...

... well based on length, anyway - we now know of one where we can't get in based on width!

I do agree, however, that not exceeding (say 70 feet) makes life easier.

The Stratford Avon arround Evesham is the big obstacle, and that is a very nice river. The tight locks can be done by reversing buts that's almost impossible if there is significant flow...and sadly there is now a hydro-electric thing at Evesham generating a lot of flow.  I am not sure about one of the Smethwick locks (middle one?), have you done them? We are ok but we have met a boat having difficulties.

Several locks on the K&A are tight, we must not share with another 70+ foot boat.

Another issue is the amount of leakage from top gates, or over top gates, which makes some locks very difficult indeed.

We don't have a tip-cat on the back, just a very thin rear fender, which means taking great care of the rudder when reversing up against a cill.

I note that CaRT give the maximum length of several waterways as 70 foot but like you we have never had any major problems on these.

...............Dave

5 hours ago, dmr said:

By selecting a boat of more than 60 foot you are ruling out some Northern canals so its sad to rule out even more.

I write here as someone who has spent the last ten years cruising extensively in a boat that is 70'8"" long.

................Dave

I imagine you're quite disappointed having made it up to the Rochdale not to be able to continue on to the C&H and L&L. Glad you're enjoying the wonderful Rochdale anyway.

46 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I imagine you're quite disappointed having made it up to the Rochdale not to be able to continue on to the C&H and L&L. Glad you're enjoying the wonderful Rochdale anyway.

We've walked a bit of the Calder and Hebble and it does look good. The knowledge that sooner or later we have to do Newton Heath again is a dark cloud hanging over us ?

My plan is to convince mtb to base one of his fleet up here then we could look after it for him by exploring the Northern canals.

..............Dave

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, dmr said:

We've walked a bit of the Calder and Hebble and it does look good. The knowledge that sooner or later we have to do Newton Heath again is a dark cloud hanging over us ?

My plan is to convince mtb to base one of his fleet up here then we could look after it for him by exploring the Northern canals.

..............Dave

He was talking of doing Standedge a while back ...

On 04/12/2018 at 09:02, mrsmelly said:

My bed is four feet seven inches wide and no problems passing that most people would notice.