Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mike the Boilerman

Canals and helicopters

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Autogyros go back a long time. Long before helicopters were invented.

Weren't they invented by Leonardo?

serveimage (1).jpeg

Edited by rusty69

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Weren't they invented by Leonardo?

serveimage (1).jpeg

A Spanish chap.. Here's a 1923 model. Of course they couln't hover but could fly very very slowly.

Ciervas_1st_autogiro.jpg

33 minutes ago, bizzard said:

During the Blitz German bombers followed the tidal Thames to London.  And Years ago before electronical navigation and things, aircraft followed rivers, canals and railways to the vicinity of their destinations. Many big buildings like factories, displayed the name of their towns and cites in huge white letters on their roofs to help aircraft.  They can still be seen on some old buildings roofs.

When I did my PPL I was a bit nervous leaving GLA to go to CARlisle, but my snr instructor assured me I'd follow the A74, and so it proved, by the time I got to Carlisle I was quite confident I had the correct airfield, I remember the controller told me to come straight in, but I  insisted on doing it properly, with a downwind  leg. I might as well have confessed I was a bit of a newby!

Military airfields have their own codes for identification. DH for Dishforth as I recall.

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

When I did my PPL I was a bit nervous leaving GLA to go to CARlisle, but my snr instructor assured me I'd follow the A74, and so it proved, by the time I got to Carlisle I was quite confident I had the correct airfield, I remember the controller told me to come straight in, but I  insisted on doing it properly, with a downwind  leg. I might as well have confessed I was a bit of a newby!

You could have followed the old Midland railway route from Glasgow via Kilmarnock Annan Gretna to Carlisle.

4 minutes ago, bizzard said:

You could have followed the old Midland railway route from Glasgow via Kilmarnock Annan Gretna to Carlisle.

With my sense of direction I'd likely have ended up in Stranraer.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

With my sense of direction I'd likely have ended up in Stranraer.

Yes the line has a branch off to there.

3 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Yes the line has a branch off to there.

I;m not convinced the Kilmarnock branch is connected to anywhere else these days. There is historic significance.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I;m not convinced the Kilmarnock branch is connected to anywhere else these days. There is historic significance.

Across Ayrshire do you mean to Stranraer. The actual main line is still there and working, Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and away across the Settle & Carlisle to Leeds and on southward to London St Pancras.  Its also an alternative route to Scotland if the main west coast mainline is closed for some reason or other.

52 minutes ago, bizzard said:

There's a fat bugger from Surrey still flying an autogyro.

Took a 2.5 hour flight around London once in chopper (pipeline encroachment spotting) for North Thames Gas.

Never felt so ill in all my life (airsick?).

Edited by mark99

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Back in the day (70’s) the Air Scouts had a couple of economy versions of these - gyrogliders which had no engines.

They were two seat versions but similar to this one.

The idea was to use a long towrope to hang off the back of a Landrover or similar.

Having strapped in a victim, the instructor stood up under the rotor and spun it up by hand as fast as he could, then quickly sat down and strapped himself in whilst signalling to the tow car to set off down the runway just fast enough for the airflow to increase rotor speed untill it sounded about right (thwack thwack).

A further signal was then made to increase speed and liftoff ocured shortly after.

Great fun and very easy to fly whilst attached to the car, but less so if one was foolish enough to pull the cable release.

In light winds we could stay up for hours by flying a figure of eight utilising two cross runways and the connecting portions of the perimeter track.

This technique was a bit tricky and did result in a couple of “prangs” but miraculously nobody was hurt ?

3E6A8247-8F82-41B9-A815-1FB8847D731D.jpeg

Edited by gbclive

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

There's a fat bugger from Surrey still flying an autogyro.

Took a 2.5 hour flight around London once in chopper (pipeline encroachment spotting) for North Thames Gas.

Never felt so ill in all my life (airsick?).

I once did an assessment for Air Observer in a helicopter, one of the tests was you were given a string of coloured beads and a mixed bag of the same beads. The test was to string as many of the beads onto the string in the correct sequence whilst the pilot threw the aircraft all over the place, failure of the test was measured if you found yourself having to pick the beads out of a bag of vomit:sick:

• Horror 1

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

Across Ayrshire do you mean to Stranraer. The actual main line is still there and working, Glasgow, Kilmarnock, Carlisle and away across the Settle & Carlisle to Leeds and on southward to London St Pancras.  Its also an alternative route to Scotland if the main west coast mainline is closed for some reason or other.

I think you will find that Kilmarnock is not between Glasgow and  Carlisle, its Motherwell and places like Carstairs, places no one ever visits, but trains run through them.

Edited by LadyG

Whatever you do, don't do what I did.

A light aircraft was buzzing around all night, and kept waking me up. Dreaming and reality became mixed, and I concocted the scenario that the pilot was lost and couldn't find Leavesden (local small runway). Every time he flew over our house I woke up worried that he was running out of fuel, his life was at risk, and that I must save him.  Like any caring citizen, I thought I'd help the poor pilot, so I phoned the local police station. After telling the policeman at the other end of line how urgent the pilot needed help, I think it was the way policeman answered, which wasn't quite like I had expected, that I came to my senses and woke up :)?

Reading the local rag a few days later, I read that some environmental body were undertaking night surveys from the air on how much, infrared heat was being emitted from houses.

I've often thought since then, what fun coppers must have when on night duty, surely I can't be the only one that has realistic dreams ?

Edited by Jennifer McM

47 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Reading the local rag a few days later, I read that some environmental body were undertaking night surveys from the air on how much, infrared heat was being emitted from houses.

Which is also the favourite way to spot cannabis farms in attics.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think you will find that Kilmarnock is not between Glasgow and  Carlisle, its Motherwell and places like Carstairs, places no one ever visits, but trains run through them.

Motherwell and Carstairs are on the west coast mainline, Glasgow Central via Carlisle, Shap, Lancaster ect and on to London Euston.   Kilmarnock is on the old Midland main line route, Glasgow Queen st or St Enoch station can't remember which, Kilmarnock, Annan, Gretna, Carlisle, Settle ect to London St Pancras.    Both lines use and pass through Carlisle station.

Edited by bizzard

3 hours ago, gbclive said:

Back in the day (70’s) the Air Scouts had a couple of economy versions of these - gyrogliders which had no engines.

They were two seat versions but similar to this one.

The idea was to use a long towrope to hang off the back of a Landrover or similar.

Having strapped in a victim, the instructor stood up under the rotor and spun it up by hand as fast as he could, then quickly sat down and strapped himself in whilst signalling to the tow car to set off down the runway just fast enough for the airflow to increase rotor speed untill it sounded about right (thwack thwack).

A further signal was then made to increase speed and liftoff ocured shortly after.

Great fun and very easy to fly whilst attached to the car, but less so if one was foolish enough to pull the cable release.

In light winds we could stay up for hours by flying a figure of eight utilising two cross runways and the connecting portions of the perimeter track.

This technique was a bit tricky and did result in a couple of “prangs” but miraculously nobody was hurt ?

3E6A8247-8F82-41B9-A815-1FB8847D731D.jpeg

They were towed behind U-Boats for aeriel observation

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Motherwell and Carstairs are on the west coast mainline, Glasgow Central via Carlisle, Shap, Lancaster ect and on to London Euston.   Kilmarnock is on the old Midland main line route, Glasgow Queen st or St Enoch station can't remember which, Kilmarnock, Annan, Gretna, Carlisle, Settle etc to London St Pancras.

Yes, in theory, but if I'm using the Carlisle to crosscountry via Settle, I don't go to Kilmarnock. I go via Glasgow Central to Carlisle, leaving the main West coast line for the Crosscountry.

I don't ever remember going to Kilmarnock station, and I've lived in Ayrshire for about twenty years. I suspect local trains only., no through trains on to the mainlines.

I think St Enochs is a shopping mall these days. 

Edited by LadyG

37 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Yes, in theory, but if I'm using the Carlisle to crosscountry via Settle, I don't go to Kilmarnock. I go via Glasgow Central to Carlisle, leaving the main West coast line for the Crosscountry. I don't ever remember going to Kilmarnock station, and I've lived in Ayrshire for about twenty years. I suspect local trains only. 

I think St Enochs is a shopping mall these days.

Kilmarnock is not on the west coast mainline.   Carlisle is a big junction station, with branches west to Stranraer and east to Newcastle. Settle isn't on the line to Stranrear. At Settle junction you can cross country to the west coast mainline at Carnforth station where of course the old film Brief Encounter was made.   Are you a trainspotter Lady G ? :unsure:C'mon, don't be shy, you can tell me. :)

Edited by bizzard

a few years ago SWMBO and I viewed a house for sale on the K&A at Devizes.  The only thing putting us off was the Wiltshire Police HQ across the road where choppers operated 24/7.

8 hours ago, Laurie.Booth said:

And smart meters give the game away.

They usually bypass the meters. However if the use pattern changes or sits outside the norm - the file can be kicked into "outliers". For looking into....... and the meter can also tell if you have a telly licence or not.

Some bits of this post may be true.

11 hours ago, bizzard said:

Kilmarnock is not on the west coast mainline.   Carlisle is a big junction station, with branches west to Stranraer and east to Newcastle. Settle isn't on the line to Stranrear. At Settle junction you can cross country to the west coast mainline at Carnforth station where of course the old film Brief Encounter was made.   Are you a trainspotter Lady G ? :unsure:C'mon, don't be shy, you can tell me. :)

Not a trainspotter, I  just happen to travel on these trains from home. We have one train per hour on a good day.

The station is fairly modern.

https://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/13749137.memories-of-largs-train-crash/

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

They usually bypass the meters. However if the use pattern changes or sits outside the norm - the file can be kicked into "outliers". For looking into....... and the meter can also tell if you have a telly licence or not.

Some bits of this post may be true.

What a good idea.  It will stop all the pestering and threats of prosecution when you don't have a TV or a licence as happened to me some 10 years ago.

George

13 hours ago, nb Innisfree said:

They were towed behind U-Boats for aeriel observation

And abruptly cast adrift when the sub dived on the approach of a sub killing aircraft!

George

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Not a trainspotter, I  just happen to travel on these trains from home. We have one train per hour on a good day.

The station is fairly modern.

https://www.largsandmillportnews.com/news/13749137.memories-of-largs-train-crash/

I don't remember that crash.  Anyway its worth taking up trainspotting if you travel up and down on that line. Its something to do whilst waiting for trains, especially if you have to change at Carlisle and miss a few connections on purpose and spend a few hours there looking at trains. You can get cups of tea in the buffet. Trouble is they're mostly boring multple units these days and not many locomotive hauled passenger trains anymore, however its still a nice harmless and healthy hobby, out in the fresh air and and an oppertunity to meet up with other spotters to compare notes.  You should be able to purchase an'' Ian Allen  trainspotters book'' from the bookstall at Carlisle station, in which are all the train numbers for you to tick off or underline as you cop them. Or if you forget the book just jot the numbers down on a bit of paper and tick em off in the book when you get home.  If you feel embarrassed about folk seeing you jotting down train numbers there's an old Shy Spotters solution. By a newspaper with a crossword in it and pretend to be doing it, but are instead jotting the numbers down all around the edges of the pages. The trick is to keep your head down and still as if concentrating on the crossword and just swivel your eyes around to cop the trains, this way you won't give the game away, and the crossword will be useful too to do when the trains are quiet.    Hope this helps.   :closedeyes:

ETA There is also bus spotting, carried out by lurking in shop doorways near bus stops.    Depicted here is the range of Ian Allens trainspotters books.

index Ian Allen.jpg

Edited by bizzard