Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Mike the Boilerman

Canals and helicopters

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Deffo military training then. What sort of helicopters - single or twin rotor?

Single rotor, and large machines although hard to see in the dark. Definitely bigger and meatier aircraft than the air ambulance type of thing.

31 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nor does it explain the helicopter activity for last night at 1am here at Hawkesbury Junction. Back and forth, back and forth for an hour it went. I guess that might have been a police helicoptor.

The copper choppers normally have quite a distinctive sound, caused I believe by the tail rotor or (rather the lack of). Ours is instantly recognisable if it's over head, but not all are the same type I should add.

Edited by MJG

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Keep ya C̶h̶i̶n̶o̶o̶k̶ Chinup Mike, not too high though, unless you want your beard trimmed.

God that was AWFUL. Haven't you got a ball to go and play with or something?!!

1 minute ago, MJG said:

The chopper coppers normally have quite a distinctive sound, caused I believe by the tail rotor or (rather the lack of).

I think all single rotor choppers have a tail rotor. 

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Oh, ok......I will go play wiv my ball on another thread:blush: Mmmmmm, which one!

21 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

Military manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain, we get a few Chinook helicopters whizzing over us on the other side near New Forest, sometimes quite low. 

Chinooks are unmistakable though even in the dark, I don't think it sounds as if its them.

9 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think all single rotor choppers have a tail rotor. 

No they don't, not as in a 'traditional' tail rotor. Our copper chopper is a NOTAR type. (Not this particular model/version)

Edited by MJG

I think the whap whop whop sound they make is due to the rotors passing through the sound barrier smewhere along their length at any given revs, out towards the tips. I think Nick flew the big Augusta Westland 139 or 169 jobs like the coastgurds do.

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Single rotor, and large machines although hard to see in the dark. Definitely bigger and meatier aircraft than the air ambulance type of thing.

My daughter is a pilot on "large machines". The cost per hour of having one in the air is in the  £several thousands. I am quite sure that your  problem isn't caused by some guys coming out of the pub and thinking "lets go and annoy that MTB bloke for a laugh" They will be there for a serious purpose.Training for night flying is most important, particularly for search & rescue.

27 minutes ago, billh said:

My daughter is a pilot on "large machines". The cost per hour of having one in the air is in the  £several thousands. I am quite sure that your  problem isn't caused by some guys coming out of the pub and thinking "lets go and annoy that MTB bloke for a laugh" They will be there for a serious purpose.Training for night flying is most important, particularly for search & rescue.

SAR training is unlikely to take place in pairs. And anyway, SAR in the U.K. is now exclusively civilian and they certainly don’t wander around Wiltshire in pairs in the dead of night. More probably military night ops training for some other reason.

MtB had better watch out in case there are suddenly a gang of SAS abseiling down from their choppers onto his boat.

On the other hand, it could be CRT’s latest initiative to rid the KandA of CMing slum boats. Call the RAF in and get the boats air lifted directly out of the cut by Chinook in the dead of night and dropped in the middle of a top secret fenced-off area inside RAF Odiham with or without the owners still on board. According to The Flouter, Richard Parry was seen having dinner with the Chief of the Defence Staff Nick Carter who is apparently an old school chum.

Edited by nicknorman

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

MtB had better watch out in case there are suddenly a gang of SAS abseiling down from their choppers onto his boat.

There’s no risk of that as I didn’t answer the email from the MoD asking which bote was mine. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

There’s no risk of that as I didn’t answer the email from the MoD asking which bote was mine. 

Its the aliens,I tell you.They are taking people in the night and then stealing there profiles, though no one seems to believe me!

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

No need. If it's scruffy it will be lifted.

During the first gulf war I was sat at home one evening when I heard what was something like an unsilenced tractor nearby, after a short while the sound became deafening and I could feel the house vibrating, fearing an approaching disaster I rushed outside in time to see a Chinook flying slowly at approx 30' directly overhead with no navigation lights showing but a dim interior light showing through the open rear cargo door. We then lived on a straight line between Bournemouth airport and the Royal Marine camp at Hamworthy, I assumed it was the SBS on a covert flight to the airport for a flight to the war zone. The noise and vibration was really scary.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Police and Air Ambulance seem to use Airbus helicopters.

Yes I think the police at least do now.

Since the penny pinching austerity drive amalgamation into a Police National Air Service they all now seem to use the same type. 

Not sure about air ambulances though as these are all individual charities AFAIK still.

Ours does use Eurocopter/Airbus aircraft though.

https://www.greatnorthairambulance.co.uk/about/our-aircraft/

As does the neighbouring Yorkshire Air Ambulance service.

11 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

WTF are they doing? Why can't they do it over the M1?

At the risk of injecting a serious note,  when it comes to a war situation, the M1 will not be lit up like a Christmas tree, but canals and rivers will still be there, all over the world, quietly reflecting the moon or any other available light.

Must be true, I've seen "The Dambusters".

George

1 hour ago, nb Innisfree said:

During the first gulf war I was sat at home one evening when I heard what was something like an unsilenced tractor nearby, after a short while the sound became deafening and I could feel the house vibrating, fearing an approaching disaster I rushed outside in time to see a Chinook flying slowly at approx 30' directly overhead with no navigation lights showing but a dim interior light showing through the open rear cargo door. We then lived on a straight line between Bournemouth airport and the Royal Marine camp at Hamworthy, I assumed it was the SBS on a covert flight to the airport for a flight to the war zone. The noise and vibration was really scary.

We were in the farmyard one sunny afternoon, adjacent to PWK airfield, when a "large" Sea King with cargo doors open skimmed the cowshed rooftops. Turned out spare crew members were just getting ready to jump out but managed to make the last fifty yards, hopping over the perimiter fence. I don't remember any noise, I assume the rotors were still rotating.

Edited by LadyG

During the Blitz German bombers followed the tidal Thames to London.  And Years ago before electronical navigation and things, aircraft followed rivers, canals and railways to the vicinity of their destinations. Many big buildings like factories, displayed the name of their towns and cites in huge white letters on their roofs to help aircraft.  They can still be seen on some old buildings roofs.

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

We were in the farmyard one sunny afternoon, adjacent to PWK airfield, when a "large" Sea King with cargo doors open skimmed the cowshed rooftops. Turned out spare crew members were just getting ready to jump out but managed to make the last fifty yards, hopping over the perimiter fence. I don't remember any noise, I assume the rotors were still rotating.

Are you sure it wasn't an Autogyro.

We live by the GU near Daventry and Chinooks fly over regularly.  Also seen them frequently near Long Itchington and on the N Oxford near Barby

If you see a Chinook, wave - the pilots really like it! (info from a Chinook pilot in our family)

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

You don't mean ....Little Nessie

serveimage.jpeg

Autogyros go back a long time. Long before helicopters were invented.

Sign in to follow this