Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Mike the Boilerman

Canals and helicopters

Featured Posts

What IS it with canals and helicopters?

Back on the K&A most nights a pair of helicoptors (presumably military) buzz up and down over my boat for an hour or so. Back and forth, back and forth for no obvious reason. Now here at Sutton Stop the same is happening. For the last half an hour a helicopter is outside, drifting off into the distance then drifting back over again. 

WTF are they doing? Why can't they do it over the M1?

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Back on the K&A most nights a pair of helicoptors (presumably military) buzz up and down over my boat for an hour or so. Back and forth, back and forth for no obvious reason. Now here at Sutton Stop the same is happening. For the last half an hour a helicopter is outside, drifting off into the distance then drifting back over again. 

Cops? Air Ambulance?

You might be grateful they are there one day.

Canals are easier to follow from the air for slow flying aircraft than using a map. And , yes they use the topology for navigation, hence we see microlites and helicopters often over canals.

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

Cops? Air Ambulance?

You might be grateful they are there one day.

What EVERY night, always over MY boat?

And are you saying cops and air ambulances fly about in pairs?

And why your question marks? Don't you know? Join the club, this is why I am asking too.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Haha 1

Just now, Boater Sam said:

Perhaps they are looking for you.........................................

Beat me to it.....

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You didn't say the one at Sutton Stop was with another one and what you described sounds exactly like the flying pattern our local copper chopper operates over us when it's around.

As for pairs over the KandA maybe they are courting?

7 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And why your question marks? Don't you know? Join the club, this is why I am asking too.

The question marks signify a lack of certainty as to the validity of my suggestion. Obviously.

The only helicopters we get are the mountain rescue and the SAS, all the other helicoptesr are smart enough to fly in the other direction. 

Edited by Tumshie
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The black helicopters run silent, so you don't hear them coming.

If you hear the police helicopters, you don't need the tinfoil beanie...

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What EVERY night, always over MY boat?

this made me laugh

We live under the chopper flight path Battersea to Redhill. Quiet most of the time but I can tell when it's Ascot, Epsom, Wimbledon, Kempton etc etc time!

Sure they are not drones.....  ;) they seem attracted to canals <expert forum pilots excused>. The other day down the Wey a chap came down following the Wey very low in a gyrocopter. He looked far too overweight for the thing and was looking like he clipping the trees in places.

Whilst I'm on here I commissioned a pro Drone flight quotation over the Oxford Canal/Cherwell last month - so many restrictions we bailed out - scuse the pun.

Edited by mark99

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Isn’t there a military helicopter base somewhere close by? Can’t remember.

edit: I was thinking of Middle Wallop but it’s not that close to KandA.

Oh and of course there are chinooks at Odiham, but again not that close.

Its probably because the airspace around the east side is so congested with controlled airspace that heading west a bit into the country allows them a bit of freedom.

Edited by nicknorman

There's the Westland helicopter factory and the Fleet Air Arm helicopter base down Yeoville way, both regularly fly around testing and training in helicopters.

Edited by bizzard

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

There's the Westland helicopter factory and the Fleet Air Arm helicopter base down Yeoville way, both regularly fly around testing and training in helicopters.

Yeovil must be 75 miles west of me so its a bit of a coincidence they come and fly about (only in the dark) over Bedwyn and Kintbury.

Nor does it explain the helicopter activity for last night at 1am here at Hawkesbury Junction. Back and forth, back and forth for an hour it went. I guess that might have been a police helicoptor.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yeovil must be 75 miles west of me 

....... That's narrowed down the search for the helicopter flying aliens then! 

Edited by rusty69

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yeovil must be 75 miles west of me so its a bit of a coincidence they come and fly about (only in the dark) over Bedwyn and Kintbury.

Nor does it explain the helicopter activity for last night at 1am here at Hawkesbury Junction. Back and forth, back and forth for an hour it went. I guess that might have been a police helicoptor.

Probably police, Although where you are might be freeish air space, especially at night where helicopters from Westland and the Fleet Air Arm base  can buzz around without much other air traffic about. We regularly get police helicopters here based at Stansted mainly at night, usually chasing robbers who often try escaping along the rivers towpath.  You also have Brize Narton nearby that probably do some helicopter training too.

Edited by bizzard

1 minute ago, nb Innisfree said:

Military manoeuvres on Salisbury Plain, we get a few Chinook helicopters whizzing over us on the other side near New Forest, sometimes quite low. 

Im not having a moan about the odd helicopter flying over on its way somewhere.

I moaning about an hour  of concentrated flying over a short length of canal by a pair of helicopters in close formation, back and forth repeatedly over my boat or over the pub, and always in the dark at the same time of night. Between about 10pnm and midnight.

Anyway I'll stop now or I'll have Wanted on my case! ;)

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Im not having a moan about the odd helicopter flying over on its way somewhere.

I moaning about an hour  of concentrated flying over a short length of canal by a pair of helicopters in close formation, back and forth repeatedly over my boat or over the pub, and always in the dark at the same time of night. Between about 10pnm and midnight.

Deffo military training then. What sort of helicopters - single or twin rotor?

Sign in to follow this