Cropredy Convention 2019, Who?

Boater Sam

Featured Posts

Getting a bit miffed by the new organisers of the Fairport Convention Cropredy convention.

This is only the second year that they have been organising and again there is no full line up announced prior to tickets going on sale at the early booking price.

I think its a bit  arrogant for them to assume that the regular goers will just book no matter who is on the bill. Last year we refused to go because of this attitude. The full bill was only announced after the price went up.

Who is going to attend the next gig despite the line up being incomplete so far? Do you really care?

At least Richard Digance will be on, and Thompson will play so it will rain.

Sam. 

Glass half empty?

I too received the e-mail announcing the first artists booked, I see this as an advance preview rather than a deliberate holding back of information. As far as i remember they've always done this, and I am pleased to receive the news as it happens. I have to agree that Digance and Thompson, both of whom never fail to delight, are the best of a rather uninspiring line-up so far. Booking major acts takes time and requires much negotiation, and we should be patient whilst awaiting further news. I well remember my excitement last year when Brian Wilson's appearance was confirmed - excitement which was fully justified.

I don't get your reference to "new organisers". What has changed in that department? I see no arrogant assumption, surely you realise that the event is as much about the atmosphere as about who's actually playing, so yes, we'll be going. That doesn't stop me hoping for a blockbuster bill-topper, as they so often secure on the first night (recently, Brian Wilson, Madness, Petula Clark). John Fogerty would be good.

Edited by Athy

I concur that an advance notice is general and welcomed, however the organisation last year and this is by a different company, eFestivals,  from the recent years and the full line up was not made clear until after the deadline for advanced discount sales expired. It would seem that it is going the same way again this year. When Mrs Pegg organised the acts this never happened, and the previous company managed to release all the lineup whilst the discount still applied.

I also concur that the atmosphere is a major inducement to attend but at £140 for a ticket and the children's tickets being also increased there needs to be a good act or two as well.

The reason we ducked last year was that Brian Wilson did not appeal to us and I was not going to pay the full price when I could of bought at a discount had I known the full line up and been able to make the decision in advance of the offer closing.

I know from talking to other regulars that they also felt that the organisers were taking our attendance for granted, there were a few empty moorings below the field.

Just looking on the eFestival site, there is NO discount this year at all and NO 2 day tickets either. It will not be the same!

Edited by Boater Sam
added more
  • Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I'm one of those who go regardless of the line-up. It does add to the appeal when there are the big headliners, e.g. Brian Wilson last year, but the lesser-knowns rarely disappoint.

There are usually pleasant surprises, indeed. Last year I knew Jim Cregan only from his long-ago days with Family, but his band's set was one of the highlights of the festival.

Whoops sorry, I'm getting ahead of myself, I meant THIS year!

1 minute ago, billS said:

I have been misled by the topic title - I just went on line to secure tickets, before reading the thread.

If the Who are not playing, I will have to sue the forum to get my money back.

You can't have "The who" and "Fairport convention" playing....... That would be "Madness" 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Getting a bit miffed by the new organisers of the Fairport Convention Cropredy convention.

This is only the second year that they have been organising and again there is no full line up announced prior to tickets going on sale at the early booking price.

I think its a bit  arrogant for them to assume that the regular goers will just book no matter who is on the bill. Last year we refused to go because of this attitude. The full bill was only announced after the price went up.

Who is going to attend the next gig despite the line up being incomplete so far? Do you really care?

At least Richard Digance will be on, and Thompson will play so it will rain.

Sam. 

ABBA will not be there so you can keep it!! 

Unless you're prepared to spend 2 to 3 weeks sitting on the tow path waiting for the festival to start don't even think of trying to moor on the towpath anywhere near the festival site. Or you could do what a lot of others seem to do, which is take your boat down there weeks in advance and abandon it until the night before the festival.

The other alternative is to book into Cropredy marina, they do charge an arm & a leg though, but it is still less than the price of a festival ticket for 4 nights and you don't have to worry about someone pinching your spot if you move off for water or a pump out.

1 hour ago, BrumSaint said:

The other alternative is to book into Cropredy marina, they do charge an arm & a leg though, but it is still less than the price of a festival ticket for 4 nights and you don't have to worry about someone pinching your spot if you move off for water or a pump out.

Surely the sum of the cost of three x one day tickets exceeds the price of one three day camping ticket though?

I booked into Cropredy marina this year for the festival, purely because I was boating all the way from Lancaster so wanted the guarantee of a mooring without needing to sit around on the towpath at Cropredy for weeks in advance. As it happens, I arrived on the Sunday before the festival and there were actually a few moorings within walking distance of the field, although not particularly close.

The marina booking was eye-wateringly expensive but the berth was very near to the entrance and I enjoyed my stay there.