It really is a buyers market.

Mad Harold

Featured Posts

Why have a formula for calculating the weight of a boat? Why not just weigh the blooming thing? Unless very light-gauge steel was used, it would be surprising if a 69' X 11' boat weighed only 13 tons, wouldn't it?

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why have a formula for calculating the weight of a boat? Why not just weigh the blooming thing? Unless very light-gauge steel was used, it would be surprising if a 69' X 11' boat weighed only 13 tons, wouldn't it?

Athy the way the 'weight' is calculated is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the actual weight It is a measure of volume

It is a theoretical weight derived from the number of 'tuns' ( a barrel type of cargo carrier) that can fit in the hold of a ship.

(A Tun is an imperial measure of capacity, equal to 4 hogsheads - 240 gallons).

See previous post showing how it is worked out.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

22 minutes ago, Athy said:

That’s not what gross tonnage means, it refers to the cargo capacity, the volume under the deck. As Alan says, for canal boats, HMRC choose to define the deck as the gunwale, not the cabin roof.

ETA, crossed with Alan de E.

Edited by BruceinSanity

35 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, so it's the weight of a potential payload, not of the boat itself. That's the second new thing I have learned today, and it's not yet 8 o'clock. The day looks promising.

I blame Archimedes for all this displacement stuff.

VAT free

Plus no engine or engine mounts.. Or has that changed over the years ?

Of course that could be the adapted for pleasure use, not sure.

But back in the day, the boat was to be built with no place for an engine. It was and is a very grey area.

But lets be honest, most every f/f NB built by a builder on the cut, is likely to be VAT'able, unless a builder can lead a very frugal life on one f/f boat per year.

I know of many builders and indeed brokers, that flout these rules. They do so at their own risk, me thinks.

53 minutes ago, Athy said:

Ah, so it's the weight of a potential payload, not of the boat itself. That's the second new thing I have learned today, and it's not yet 8 o'clock. The day looks promising.

Volume not weight, both Alan and BruceinSanity have made that point. Generally it's not just the payload either it's the volume of the whole ship (hence it's gross rather than net).

JP

39 minutes ago, Athy said:

I am not a scientist, but I suspect that there is a close relationship between the two.

Yes, that's density. I'm sure that's needed for some purpose for shipping any given cargo but it isn't an absolute property of the vessel.

Weight of cargo on a ship (and indeed the weight of the ship itself) also varies with geography and time.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

32 minutes ago, Athy said:

I am not a scientist, but I suspect that there is a close relationship between the two.

I would suggest that there is tremendous difference in 'weight' between 80 cubic metres* (volume) of Feathers, Wood, Iron or Lead.

The only correlation would be (for example) that 5m3 of feathers would weigh 5 times the weight of 1m3 of feathers.

Feathers weigh approximately 2.5Kg per m3 (level of compaction unknown)

Lead weighs 11.3 tonnes per m3

* 66 foot (20m) x 14 foot (4m) x 39" (1m) = 80m3

Edited by Alan de Enfield