singlehanded women liveaboards

sailor mcgee

Featured Posts

Hey,

I have a question ;
im a sailor, professionally, so, i am qualified to sail and captain small craft here in sweden on inland waterways and a significant distance out to shore (i am british and may have to come back to the uk at some point. i wont mention the b word *looks at england and wales*) as a result of my job I know a lot about engines, big ones and small ones alike. i am also qualified to build boats from wood however i havent been on a narrow boat in the uk much more than a week; its probably similier than crossing the atlantic though so i aught to be ok living abord; right? also i dont preferer land. it makes me sick and doesnt feel right

so to my question are there any single handed boaters constantly traveling who are not male and travel alone?  

thinking about living abord a canal boat as im away 6 months of the year so, why pay rent on a flat i dont use, why not stay with what i know best? when going away get a spot at a marina or on the hard.

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, sailor mcgee said:

so to my question are there any single handed boaters constantly traveling who are not male and travel alone?  

Welcome to the forum SMG.

Yes there are loads. I can think of five or six in my small circle of acquaintances, and I regularly encounter Single handed women boaters from time to time when out and about on the cut so you won't be alone.

I believe there is a closed female boater facebook group (or three) you may well get invited to join now you've posted this question. 

20 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Every time I see this link I follow it but I have never found the book to be available on amazon, I had a look at The Canal Bookshop site and they have it in stock. 

It can be found on this page

https://canalbookshop.co.uk/boating.html

Edited by Tumshie

8 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Every time I see this link I follow it but I have never found the book to be available on amazon, I had a look at The Canal Bookshop site and they have it in stock. 

It can be found on this page

https://canalbookshop.co.uk/boating.html

:) thanks ❤️

4 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I think it's called women on the cut but it's an invite only group to keep the stalkers out.

My other half was a single handed lady boater and she managed fine

until I met her and mansplained how do to it properly of course 

exactly; i hate mansplaining  ;) (nuff of that at work... in swedish)

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Oooh, you are awful!

Campanology is hand bell ringing, so with one leg its easy, oh, its a matter of a pinion.

Is it?

Us tower bell ringers are constantly being called campanologists. We call ourselves simply 'ringers'.

There have been a few one-armed ringers.... 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

I have not met any single-handed boating ladies recently but the last time I visited a bell tower (Sunday) there was a single-legged gentleman ringing one the bells.

(Well, somebody had to.)

Are you a ringer too then??

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is it?

Us tower bell ringers are constantly being called campanologists. We call ourselves simply 'ringers'.

There have been a few one-armed ringers.... 

Are you a ringer too then??

No, but I knew one once, 2 legs, 2 arms, deaf as a post. Tower grabbers.

Many a Monday evening at Cropredy listening to the broken practice peals, better still now they have a full set of bells courtesy of Fairport Convention.

Edited by Boater Sam

3 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

No, but I knew one once, 2 legs, 2 arms, deaf as a post. Tower grabbers.

Many a Monday evening at Cropredy listening to the broken practice peals, better still now they have a full set of bells courtesy of Fairport Convention.

The seven is currently broken....

1 minute ago, Boater Sam said:

Really, who done it?

Was it due to the roof renovations?

That's not one of the new ones then? 

Not sure which are the new ones. At a guess I'd say the treble and the two were added to augment a ring of six. The gudgeon pin holding the clapper  in the seven has fallen out at one end, so they dare not ring it until fixed. The clapper weighs perhaps 15kg so if it falls out during ringing, its a Big Deal.

4 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Thanks for that Mike, I'll take my hard hat. Good job that was spotted. Nowt like dropping your clappers in public.

Especially when its from such a lovely ring. <Snigger>

And a lovely bunch of ringers too. A delight to ring there.