Ever wondered where that river goes at the bottom of Stoke Bruerne locks?

mykaskin

Featured Posts

I've always wondered why that river crossing is culverted under the canal, at least for low flows. Seems like the worst of all possible worlds: strong cross-flows in the canal and the need for long expensive weir to take the water away when flows are high, but no water supply to the canal when flows are low (at all originally, now it's possible at the expense of running an electric pump). Seems like the river banks upstream of the crossing can't need much raising to keep the level at canal level all the time and turn the crossing into something like Aynho. If they were much too low, then floods that do make it into the canal would also flood the fields and they don't.

MP.

I think, but don't know but there seems to be some water control at the end of the arm - I'm guessing there is a weir to hold a level higher than the canal allowing some feed - however it was probably important not to limit the flow, or normally mix the waters maybe even, on the stream for people who used the water downstream...

When the Tove is really in flood the whole of the area to the east of the canal disappears under a lake its quite spectacular. In a really bad flood the moorings disappear and boats end up in the fields to the west, however I can only remember it being that bad in 1998.

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

When the Tove is really in flood the whole of the area to the east of the canal disappears under a lake its quite spectacular. In a really bad flood the moorings disappear and boats end up in the fields to the west, however I can only remember it being that bad in 1998.

After the  Easter 1998 flood...

gallery_1668_611_3723.jpggallery_1668_611_56499.jpg

So whats the story of the stranded boat???

Left there after the floods referred to earlier??

Stranded boat.PNG

Is it the same boat on the left of Dorlan's pic??

gallery_1668_611_3723.jpg

Edited by MJG