Deleting old uploaded file attachments

MtB

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Perhaps you should consider putting a limit on the amount of space any individual can use up within a specified period of time. Apart from enabling the fopum to keep within it's budget, it might also limit some of the rubbish we have to tolerate from the same few excessivley verbose individuals.

The verbosity takes up very, very little space compared with images though.

It is the latter that must be a massive part of the total disk space occupied by the forum in totality, and if posting 200Mb of attachment  per user is allowed, it is just as well only a small subset of forum posters put up a lot of images.

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Or perhaps some members could pay a little towards the up keep of the site. 

Yes that is good, if difficult to enforce, suggestion. However, one of the worst offenders made the fact known, some while ago, that he was cancelling his donation standing order because he disagreed with the moderation of the site.

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

The verbosity takes up very, very little space compared with images though.

It is the latter that must be a massive part of the total disk space occupied by the forum in totality, and if posting 200Mb of attachment  per user is allowed, it is just as well only a small subset of forum posters put up a lot of images.

Yes I realise that, but anything that would help curb their incessant argueing and re-arguing the same points would be welcome. I have given up even looking at some threads, because I know that if I return to it within more than ten minutes  there will be another three pages of their argumentative drivel.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

Yes I realise that, but anything that would help curb their incessant argueing and re-arguing the same points would be welcome.

So you would instead need to do something instead like limit the number of posts any poster could make in a defined time interval.

Limiting the total disk space used by everybody will not work, if photos are the lions share (in bytes) of what many people post.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

So you would instead need to do something instead like limit the number of posts any poster could make in a defined time interval.

I expect a lot of forum members would stop posting/leave if that were the case,although suspect it would please David:)

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I expect a lot of forum members would stop posting/leave if that were the case,although suspect it would please David:)

I don't want anyone to leave, I but I would ask those who seem glued to their keyboard to reflect on whether they need to say the same thing more than three times in any one topic, and also whether they need to be rude about posters with whom they disagree.

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I don't want anyone to leave, I but I would ask those who seem glued to their keyboard to reflect on whether they need to say the same thing more than three times in any one topic, and also whether they need to be rude about posters with whom they disagree.

Perhaps you should consider putting a limit on the amount of space any individual can use up within a specified period of time. Apart from enabling the fopum to keep within it's budget, it might also limit some of the rubbish we have to tolerate from the same few excessivley verbose individuals.

Seems a little rude to me.

I expect the brexit thread has many many repetitions due to its length,if nothing more.If the people contributing to the thread are happy to do so,why not.

If more server space is required, buy some more, or archive some of the older stuff.

Edited by rusty69

22 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

But, but everyone you reply to gets a hug!

Not true - only the people I like the best :D

19 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Why is it that one's favourite hug-givers tend to be people who give out lots of hugs...

I give out lots of hugs but not to lots of people. I'm a quality not quantity hugger. ?

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Seems a little rude to me.

I expect the brexit thread has many many repetitions due to its length,if nothing more.If the people contributing to the thread are happy to do so,why not.

Perhaps, but what I meant was personally rude, rather than a general comment. Anyway I am now in danger of becoming one of the repetative posters that I was criticising, so I will not comment any further.

Edited by David Schweizer